5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Published on Jan. 24 2011 by Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but repetitive
The idea for the story was very interesting to me. However, I tired of the main character's constant repetition of deciding that the relationship was hopeless, but then staying involved anyway.
Published 12 months ago by Gwen Rowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Jan. 24 2011
This review is from: Firelight (Hardcover)
I loved this book. It was so new and had a lot of suspense that kept me reading all night. I couldn't put the book down until I was finished and then had to search and see if there was going to be any more of them. Of course I knew there would be seeing as it ended on a very big cliff hanger. I loved the characters, all of them... even the bad ones. The scenery, the emotions and the dragons... they were all described so well I felt like I could see and feel what was happening. This one kind of reminded me a little of Fire by Kristin Cashore with how the creatures were so beautiful and colourful. This was a different world to read about and it was addicting. I love my vampires and werewolves but I must say I have to add dragons to my list... even though at first I thought it sounded a little weird. I am so glad I gave it a try; it is a very good read. The romance is your normal YA book, but being an adult I still get pulled in. I can't wait to find out what happens in the next book. If you like fantasy/paranormal/romance this is a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Sept. 29 2010
This review is from: Firelight (Hardcover)
Jacinda has never wanted the life laid out for her. Forced to be with a boy she does not love, to have children for the sake of the pack, she wants nothing to do with any of it.

Out of rebelliousness, she goes out one day in her draki (dragon) form, and she is almost killed by draki hunters. Her mother refuses to stand by and watch, and forces Jacinda and her twin sister, Tamra, away from the pack and into the human world.

This book has everything that I love about YA fantasy, and quite possibly even more.

You've got the girl who is rebellious and, while facing real issues, is still just a teenage girl. You've got the romance between Jace and the draki hunter, Will, who has such depth and personality he could have his own book. You've got the sibling rivalry where even in the end they still love one another. You have the high school woes of trying to make friends and keep enemies away. And finally, you have the amazing fantasy element of the draki that make it over-the-top awesome.

FIRELIGHT pulls you in and keeps you on your toes from the first page to the last.

It was sweet, suspenseful, scary, cute, funny, sad, everything all in one. This is my favorite book I've read this year, by far, and I would recommend it to everyone and anyone who loves to read young adult fantasy.

Reviewed by: Lesley

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous!, Sept. 23 2010
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Firelight (Hardcover)
Imagine a world where dragons aren't quite extinct. A world where evolution granted these mystical creatures a talent to appear human. It's the world Jacinda lives in. Not quite dragon, human in appearance half the time, her race is called Draki. She's not your average Draki though (is there such a thing anyway?), she's a fire-breather. The only one born in her pride for multiple generations. The moment she pulls an act of rebellion and ends up face-to-face with a crew of draki-hunters is the moment her life will change forever.

First up, two thumbs-up to Sophie Jordan for creating such an amazing and original lore. I won't give you any specifics as I don't want to ruin the fun for you but you need to know I've never read anything else like this before. Truly fabulous.

The characters were amazing, Jacinda is a 16 years old girl with a wild spirit but she's stuck between a rock and a hard place because of her unique ability. She will be forced to leave all she's ever known and will have to fight with all her might to not be broken. She also have a twin sister who always lived in Jace's shadow because she is so ordinary compared to her. Both girls are so different it's sometimes hard to think of them as twins but in the end they both have this desire of freedom.

Will, now that boy is so special. He is Jacinda's lighthouse in moments of despair but he also has the power to be her demise. He is beautiful and strong and hides even more secrets than we think. He will surprise you in many ways.

The story was great, always a struggle between life & death, love & pain, trust & treason. The end unfolded very quickly and I had a vague idea of what might happen and it didn't quite play-out like I imagined it. Firelight doesn't exactly ends into a cliffhanger but emotions were running so high I honestly have no idea how I am going to wait for the second installment. I want to read it now!

Sophie Jordan treated us with a marvelous world I couldn't get enough of. Fabulous creatures brought to life in a modern setting to please all the paranormal lovers out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the sequel!, Feb. 26 2011
K. Wark "Born Again Book Worm" (Chestermere, AB) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Firelight (Hardcover)
I picked up this book based on the other very positive reviews. I wasn't disappointed!! The story is a different take on a paranormal theme involving dragons, who have evolved into draki, and the people that hunt them. It was well written enabling me to clearly "see" in my mind the characters and locations being described. Lots of tension (both romantic and plot-wise) and as other readers have commented, I was not able to put the book down until it was done. It is aimed at young adult readers however I haven't actually fallen into that category for some time and it's still an excellent book to read. After researching the author, it appears a sequel (Vanish: A Firelight Novel) is anticipated to be released in August 2011 - I can't wait!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but repetitive, Nov. 29 2013
This review is from: Firelight (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm one to read fantasy novels but this is a first about dragons., March 21 2012
This review is from: Firelight (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book right from the beginning. I hope I'm not spoiling anything by saying that Jacinda is a draki..in human terms she's a dragon. A freaking dragon! I'm one to read fantasy novels but this is a first about dragons.

The story includes Jacinda being ripped apart from her draki pride and living a normal HUMAN life with her human twin sister Tamara and mother in the desert.

What Jacinda wants more than anything in the world is to be draki, but living in the desert hinders her abilities. As most YA novels go, you can't have a protagonist without a love interest, and that love interest comes in the form of "beautiful boy" Will. Unfortunately, Will is a draki hunter, and that's not only Jacinda's only worry. It also comes in the form of Cassia, the draki's son of the alpha who wants her back than anything else.

I enjoyed reading this book, truly I did. I enjoyed the struggles that Jacibda had to go through, keeping herself hidden and making herself seem human enough. What I disliked was how much of a hypocrite Jacinda became. One minute she vows never to see Will again, then the next thing you know she's locking lips with him. And on and on and in it went. If she couldn't stay away then why didn't she just admit that to herself. It drove me a little crazy. It's quite simple, if you want something go get it. If you're in endangering yourself and your family then stay away. But she obviously couldn't because of their undeniable pull towards each other. Why did they fall in love in the first place? That I couldn't understand. The make out sessions were hot and heavy and considering Sophoe Jordan is also an adult romance writer there's no question she has skills. I hope some questions are answered in the next book. This was an entertaining read and I'd love to read more about the drakis.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as unique as I would have liked..., March 16 2011
Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Firelight (Hardcover)
I hate when I read reviews and people have compared books to "Twilight" saying that the book that they read is a blatant rip-off of "Twilight" and whatnot, because a) "Twilight" ain't the most original story out there and therefore it should not be the book that all other books are compared to and b) the majority of the time the book that the reviewer has said is just like "Twilight" isn't. At. All. A lot of time I go out of my way to defend these books because, as mentioned, in the majority of cases they are not like "Twilight" and in my opinion, I think that by comparing them to "Twilight" people who are completely anti-"Twilight" will set these books aside thinking that they are cliche-ridden books with lots of teen angst and sparkly hot male characters and not read them- and I think that in not reading them they are missing out on some really great stories.

Now you may be wondering where this is all leading to? Well, I must admit... I found the first half of this book to be entirely reminiscent of "Twilight" (hangs my head in shame, I know, I know... I am totally being hypocritical) and then the second half of the book seemed entirely reminiscent of Claudia Gray's "Evernight" series.

Now how was this book so similar to "Twilight"? Well first off, Both Bella and Jacinda move before they feel pressure to do so, second, they go to their new school and meet a boy, a boy who happens to hang out with a crowd that the entire school seems to worship/ hold in awe, the boys family. Though all of the girls at the boys schools throw themselves at said boy he never shows any interest in them until new girl comes along. New girl and boy start to develop feelings for one another, but boy keeps telling girl that she shouldn't hang out with him because he is dangerous. One of one's family members takes a weird interest in girl and tries to intimidate her whenever possible (ie. Rosalie and Xander). Both boys (and their families) disappear from school for days at a time (one uses the excuse of fly fishing, one uses the excuse of camping). When boy is gone from school girl becomes overly dramatic moaning and groaning about how she misses said boy and how her life is a little less bright without him in it.

And how is this book similar to Claudia Grays "Evernight" series? Both boy and girl are keeping major secrets from one another. Girl is a paranormal/ fantastical being and boy is a hunter, a hunter who kills said paranormal/ fantastical being. Despite knowing about one another's secrets, both fall in love and all seems doomed because of their families/ occupations. Both girls also have boys of their paranormal/ fantastical race who wants to be with them, pretty much at whatever cost, and both boys get kinda jealous when girl chooses "the enemy" over him.

All in all? I think that despite the similarities between "Twilight" and the "Evernight" series this is still a good book, but I just wish that it had been a bit more unique. I must say that I do prefer Jacinda over "Twilight's" Bella because Jacinda actually has a personality, though I prefer Bella's/ Edward's family over Jacinda's family, mainly because, for the most case, Edward's family was supportive of him (I cannot comprehend whatsoever what is going on in Jacinda's mothers head. Yes, I understand that she wants to keep her daughter safe, but pretty much forcing her daughter's draki to die? Not cool. They could have moved to a town like Forks! Where it was always rainy and tree-y and everything, where Jacinda could have really thrived, instead she forced them to move to the dessert where Jacinda was pretty much in pain 99.9% of the time). And the ending? Well, I wouldn't consider this to be a full story whatsoever. There are a ton of loose ends that were not tied up, nor even touched upon! It seriously just ended, probably with one of the worst cliffhanger endings I have ever read before. When all is said and done, I will read the second book in this series, which comes out in September, "Vanish", here's to hoping that it is more unique than this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GREAT GREAT, June 4 2011
This review is from: Firelight (Hardcover)
Amazing book. It kept me on the edge, it was hard to put it down. One of my favorites by far. I can't wait till Vanished comes out. PLEASE Sophie release it sooner.

This is a book you will want to read, if you liked Twilight, then you will LOVE this. But instead of Vampires it's dragons. I would say i liked this book more than the Twilight series. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read of the year, May 4 2011
This review is from: Firelight (Hardcover)
This book caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting such a compelling read. Jace is so believable and her personality is compelling. This is truely one of those delightful finds that draws me back to the YA Fantasy genre, over and over. I hope I never grow out of it. I like that the book ended at a safe point, but you know there is so much more to come. I am counting down the days for the sequel. And I heard it's been sold for a movie - can't wait! I've been recommending this book to anyone who will listen.

Firelight
Firelight by Sophie Jordan (Audio CD - Nov. 29 2011)
CDN$ 25.99 CDN$ 16.37