5.0 out of 5 stars Reflections from a Practitioner
Published on March 22 2012 by Filia Artis

3.0 out of 5 stars More Bookish Thoughts...
In "Raising Boys in a New Kind of World" Michael Reist encourages a retooled approach to rearing boys in a media-saturated culture. While he admits that screen time contributes to boys falling behind in school, he also outlines the benefits of video games: allowing kids to relieve stress, offering an outlet for aggression and fostering bonding through shared...
Published on Jan. 24 2012 by Reader Writer Runner

5.0 out of 5 stars Reflections from a Practitioner, March 22 2012
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
Reists' book is based on over 30 years of experience as a teacher, a father and a mentor. While this book is not written for an academic or scientific audience, it communicates deep truths about parenting, humanity, boys and girls that I feel touch on some unsettling truths in our culture and society and schools that many of us know exist, but have not been able to name.

Reist's thesis can be summed up to say that, "treating equally does not mean treating the same" when it comes to the education of our children. Each parent, each teacher is asked to consider the biological, social and personal characteristics and needs of their child and to do away with the paradigm of the "factory school" to accept and love and teach that child according to their individual person-hood.

Reist questions the current "sit still and do as you are told", zero-tolerance model of school. He questions the high rates of ADD and ADHD diagnoses among male children. He debunks our fears about video games and social media and delves into the mind and soul of the schoolyard bully. The answer? Rather than suggest anarchy and the end of formal schooling, Reist offers integrity as a possible solution. Without blaming, he spurs teachers and parents to look deeper within themselves to offer the love, mentoring, boundaries and leadership that children require from the adults in their lives.

Since reading this book, I've spoken with about a dozen different parents and teachers whose experiences are a perfect match with Reist's observations about boys. I'm frequently amazed to hear from adults who have experienced some of the approaches suggested in the book (without having ever read it) and found them to work, so they seem to be fairly common-sense ideas to many who are in-tune with their boys' unique learning and development styles.

When I hear of growing school drop-out rates among teenage boys and low enrollment in university and trade professions, I worry that we are creating a social tide that will negatively affect generations of families. Reist is a bellwether for our society on this issue and offers incredible insight into why the status quo is simply not working for boys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be encouraged parents and grandparents of those wonderful boys God has given us :-), Nov. 6 2013
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
My grandson has struggled through his early years at school and is now in grade 10 still with challenges. He was told he is probably ADD but after reading this book I believe a lot of his challenges were more based in the misunderstood learning methods used in the school system as it is today in relation to the way boys learn. Thank you for this encouraging book and I pass on words of encouragement to him too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 14 2013
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
I gave this book as a gift to the parents of my grandsons. I had heard a TV interview with the author and was impressed with his ideas on raising boys. It takes a modern approach to an older theme that boys tend not to do well in traditional school settings, and discusses it in the modern age. Parents of boys would find this book interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, Feb. 6 2013
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
This is a great resource for parents of boys, particularly boys entering adolescence. Reist questions and challenges society's definitions and expectations of what is considered normal vs abnormal boy behaviour, based on his many years of experience teaching boys. His commitment to helping boys learn within the context of today's factory school is exemplary. Besides the personal experience and commitment he brings to the topic, I also appreciated the research he's invested in the subject, although at times I wish he'd included in-text citations so that I could follow up on particular ideas or claims in more depth. It has been quite illuminating for me as the parent of an adolescent boy and I enthusiastically recommend it to any parent who has the joy of raising a boy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, practical, reliable: a role model for parenting, Jan. 28 2012
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
This is one of the most interesting and helpful parenting books I have read. The practical advice and information given on male adolescent development and psychology is supported by a convincing mix of current research and long experience. Add to that Reist's very relevant reflections on cultural trends and the result is a book that models exactly the qualities and skills every parent wishes to offer their children: thoughtfulness, practicality, and reliability.

5.0 out of 5 stars high school perspective, March 31 2012
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
I am a high school English teacher whose classes (Grade 9 first semester, Grade 12 second semester) have been heavily populated by boys. In one senior class I have only three girls. You might think Michael Reist's book would be less than helpful for my teaching, since most of the 'raising' of these boys has been done. Not so! Many of his suggestions for using boy energy in a positive way have continued to be helpful right through to graduation. On top of that, understanding how the history of their school experience has impacted my students is invaluable in attempting to readjust the focus and help them regain a sense of empowerment and engagement in the excitement of learning. This is a great book for all educators, parents and perhaps even grandparents. My daughter, a beginning elementary school teacher, will be getting a copy for her birthday. That will be the third copy of this book I've put into circulation. This is a conversation we need to be having, and then let's think about the unique issues facing girls 'in a new kind of world.'

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ FOR EDUCATORS!, March 29 2012
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
The wisdom, logic, simplicity and accessibility of Michael's book is what makes it such a must-read for every parent or teacher.

As an adult female educator who is not a parent, let alone a parent of boys, facing a classroom full of boys on a daily basis can be a daunting task. I currently have a grade ten English class with 24 students; 22 of these are boys. 18 of these boys have IEPs, and two of them are new Canadians who are learning English.

While reading Michael's book, the faces of these diverse young men appeared on the pages in front of me. I have become more tolerent of "boyish play" in my classroom, not mistaking friendly banter with misbehaviour. I have become more aware of the quieter young men in my classroom, and am more careful now not to let the louder, more dominant boys in my class claim all of my attention. I have more realistic expectations for my students' attention spans, and I have built regular movement and transitions into my program to keep them focused and engaged.

Thank-you, Mr. Reist, for helping me to better understand these young men. I am now enjoying going to this class on a daily basis. You have helped me to create a safer classroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking new book for parents of boys, March 23 2012
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
I have seen Michael Reist's amazing action on the stage, so I was really looking forward to his new book. I have been somewhat disappointed in the past with his books, but this one is very different with a much better layout, deeper, and more thought provoking. Not a difficult technical read, but this book will make you think and question your current values. As a mother of three boys currently fighting their way through the school system, it is nice to see someone stand up for their needs and start a dialogue on the subject. Thank you again Michael!

5.0 out of 5 stars kudos!, March 28 2012
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
Just finished your book Raising Boys in a New Kind of World and absolutely loved it. Section/part IV (A New Kind of Parent) was exceptionally brilliant. I am a mom of a 3 year old boy and a former Waldorf teacher (now a chiropractor) and I think this is one of the best reads I've had in years. Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, April 6 2012
This review is from: Raising Boys in a New Kind of World (Paperback)
Good book. Very valuable read in the 21st century for anyone raising a boy. Attention span and the internet, ADD/ADHD as over diagnoses, the role of medication with those with a serious problem, the old school structure of our education system and the need to modernize. These are some of the topics covered. I saw the author in person presenting his ideas, and this is a serious, genuine, and progressive guy. Someone who belongs at the premier's ear. This book should be a part of any parents reading list.

Raising Boys in a New Kind of World
Raising Boys in a New Kind of World by Michael Reist (Paperback - Dec 24 2011)
CDN$ 24.99 CDN$ 15.67