5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I Read It Twice
Published on May 29 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Amusing story, but where's the beef?
First off, let me say that if some of the events in this book happened to me I'd most certainly flip out. I can't call myself a believer, and yet I want to believe. This book doesn't come within a mile of making me believe. I have to agree with a previous reviewer and mention the lack of any photo evidence, even though it supposedly exits.
The photos of the...
Published on Sept. 22 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I Read It Twice, May 29 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House (Paperback)
I got this book as a housewarming gift for my brother and his wife who were claiming to hear 'bumps in the night', and worse, after moving into their fixer-upper. It was originally bought to be a gag-gift from his skeptical sibling but I glanced through it before giving it to them and once I started to read this story I couldn't put the book down. In fact I read it twice before I finally handed it over to them.
My sister-in-law thanked me for getting them the book and said it helped knowing they weren't the only people to have weird experiences like that in an old haunted house.
Personally I've never had an unusual, or paranormal, encounter and never thought much about spirits or hauntings one way or the other before. But after listening to the stories of my brother's newly purchased old house I am now intrigued. I know my brother and his wife are honest people and if they claim to have seen and heard ghosts I believe them. I also believed the story told in "Haunted" because a lot of it seemed so similar to my own family members' experiences, especially how the majority of the spirits seemed to be children and how they interact with them.
If you live in your own haunted house or know someone who does this book will really be something that you can relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, June 27 2013
I found the book an easy read. I enjoyed the lets find out what it is approach. So many books today on this topic its evil and out to do harm. I would have like more pictures

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Story, Sept. 22 2003
I realize not everyone believes in spirits and no amount of proof, written or otherwise, will be enough to convince a skeptic. But, I do believe, even more so now, and I think this was a very compelling story.
I borrowed a copy of this book from my cousin and liked it so much I decided to purchase a copy of my own. I'm kind of surprised that a couple of the reviewers on this site seem to be troubled with what they feel is a lack of photographic evidence within the book. That thought never even entered my mind when I read "Haunted". I assume it would have been impossible to include photographic proof for every incident mentioned. It's probably the editors instead of the author who determined exactly what got included, but regardless of who chose them, I thought the photos that were in the book only added to the story. I do agree with another reviewer that it would have been interesting to see the shots mentioned that were taken at a party and in the son's bedroom, but they were well described in the book and I can see why photos of that nature might have been impossible to include without violating the family's privacy altogether by showing the interior of their home and pictures of their family and friends. And besides, with all the computer software programs such as Photoshop that are now available to edit and alter photographs I guess anyone could come up with as many ghost photos as they wanted to create, but that wouldn't necesarily mean they were real.
In my opinion this book was told in an honest and credible manner and I really thought it was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book well worth reading, Sept. 19 2003
Carrie Nelson (Newark, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I don't usually read ghost related stories, but I have to admit I had a good time reading this book and enjoyed it more than I actually expected to. The cover caught my eye and intrigued me, and once I started reading the story I couldn't stop. I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me in some parts, but overall it's more thought provoking than a horror movie type of plot. Maybe that is why I liked it so much. This is a great book to read on a dark and stormy Autumn night, or any time for that matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Halloween Reading, Sept. 7 2003
"canadianguy3" (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
I have read many books recently on the topic of ghosts and haunted houses and I must say this particular one was exceptionally good. The author tells her story in such a straight forward and credible manner it is entertaining, but still unnerving. I admire this family's courage in how they dealt with such a frightening situation as living with ghosts. And, I applaud Mrs. Williams in sharing their private story with the public and thereby shedding a new and fascinating light on paranormal phenomena.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me up all night!, Aug. 26 2003
At my age I should know better than to read a book called "Haunted" and not expect to be spooked. Spooked I was, and continue to be, after reading this riveting story. I was happy to see that this book is devoted to one specific haunting, instead of several different short stories grouped together. By presenting the story the way it is, in the first person narrative, the reader is given a lot of specific details and descriptions of the writer's own feelings during the haunting, so we can actually feel what it must have been like for her and her family to live in that house and witness what they did.
I find the paranormal very fascinating so reading this book was quite a treat for me, although at times it did scare me a bit more than I would like to admit.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good read, Feb. 27 2003
Chris Murphy (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
I've never been a big believer in the paranormal, but I found this story to be very convincing and told in an entertaining way. It held my attention from the first page.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amusing story, but where's the beef?, Sept. 22 2003
By A Customer
The photos of the artifacts found in the yard that were included in the book were not the least bit interesting. Yep, that's a rusty nail. And an inkwell, and a jar! So? Yet a photo taken at a birthday party supposedly showed two strange orbs - why was that photo left out of the book? Another photo taken in the little boy's room showed a face looking head-on at the camera - that's the photo I want to see! Again, where is it?
Beyond the lack of interesting photos, while reading this book I couldn't help but think that if the woman's husband was living in the house at the time and didn't believe it was haunted, why should I? Another peeve: A neighbor has a sister who's a clairvoyant and she agrees to advise them regarding the house. She can't actually arrange a visit, so all of the information is passed through the neighbor. Are there no telephones in Canada? Could this woman not have phoned the neighbor's sister at her leisure? This really did not make sense to me at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but not convincing, July 3 2004
By A Customer
I don't believe the "true" part of this story to be very convincing. Ms.Williams describes in detail, accounts of ghostly activity she and her family encounter throughout the few years they live in their Victorian home. She gives a detailed historical timeline of the house--even locates 14 names of previous owners dating back to the 1800's.Yet with all of this research and information, nowhere did she find any information on whether a fire occurred at the house. And this is supposedly the 'important' incident she claims the ghosts and two psychics are trying to communicate actually happened. The author speaks of consulting a ghost investigator via email. The investigator offers to fly out to investigate the hauntings but Ms.Williams claims the costs associated with the investigators services are too expensive. PLEASE. This makes absolutely no sense. Through her writing, Ms. Williams has created an image that this family indeed has money-and definitely enough money to spare for something as completely important as retaining the services of a ghost investigator! This family could afford to redecorate and restore the entire house (I live in SF and I know how expensive it is to restore and redecorate a Victorian home), even adding on an additional room in the back--of which they hired an architect for. Ms. Williams also writes of how they own a summer cottage that they travel to for vacations. They also plan to add a swimming pool to their backyard because their summer home is too far away. And at one point in the book, she and her husband discuss moving out of the house so they begin to look into building another home--a brand new home! I don't buy it for one second that they couldn't afford this investigators services. This is why I find this story difficult to believe. If my children were witnessing ghosts in their bedrooms I would make it top priority to fly an expert out to investigate. There is no ending to this story. Ms. Williams leaves the reader hanging--You don't find out whether or not they still live in the house or what has actually become of the ghosts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, easy read!, Aug. 1 2003
I loved this book! It is well organized and thought out and conveys a creepy feeling without totally freaking out the reader. The story is about a Canadian family living in a haunted house that they bought and renovated. The story moves along smoothly getting creepier all the time and the author does an excellent job of conveying the confusion and self doubt triggered by supernatural events. I highly recommend this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xbfb98018)

Haunted:  The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43