Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

on June 9, 2015
This was an ok read. The story may have been scarier had I experienced these things myself. "True Haunting" by Ed Becker scared me more than this story. If you are new to paranormal stories, this one should be your first read.
on June 27, 2013
I found the book an easy read. I enjoyed the lets find out what it is approach. So many books today on this topic its evil and out to do harm. I would have like more pictures
on July 31, 2009
It's well written and an enjoyable read but certainly not the scariest read. However it is very interesting!
on May 6, 2007
I just finished reading this book, and felt compelled to write a review.

Once I started reading I could not put it down. I found it to be very interresting, and a real page turner. I thought that it was well written for an amateur author, and have to commend Ms. Willams on her recolection of the facts.

I did question at times, why she did not bring in a second psychic investigator after her first attempt did not reveal the answers she had been looking for...the offers were there, I wish she had taken one of them up on their repeated offers to visit (despite the cost). I know that I would have wanted (in her situation) to know the names of the people in the house...why they were there...what they wanted to tell them BEFORE sending them through the light. Especially if I was planning on writing a book about the experience.

As a mother of two small children I was conscerned about her son sleeping in the room that could have been a portal to the other side....I know that I would try hard to protect them form any undue stress. I was raised in a haunted house, and although the occurences in my home were far less frequent and less frightening than those described here...the memory of that house still lingers, and the recollection of the stress I felt as a child remains with me to this day. So because of that, I am a bit sad that her children were exposed to that kind of situation.

I did find the ending a bit sad...I did not want it to end, I felt there were a few strings left hanging, and a few questions left unanswered. But I guess because this is a true account, that sometimes happens. You don't get the answers you want, but instead are just relieved that the activity has subsided.

all round it is a very enjoyable read...more moving than truly frightening which I appreciated :)

I wish them well, and hope that if she gets any more information (from a psychic visit in the future), perhaps it can be shared in a second edition :)
on July 3, 2004
I don't believe the "true" part of this story to be very convincing. Ms.Williams describes in detail, accounts of ghostly activity she and her family encounter throughout the few years they live in their Victorian home. She gives a detailed historical timeline of the house--even locates 14 names of previous owners dating back to the 1800's.Yet with all of this research and information, nowhere did she find any information on whether a fire occurred at the house. And this is supposedly the 'important' incident she claims the ghosts and two psychics are trying to communicate actually happened. The author speaks of consulting a ghost investigator via email. The investigator offers to fly out to investigate the hauntings but Ms.Williams claims the costs associated with the investigators services are too expensive. PLEASE. This makes absolutely no sense. Through her writing, Ms. Williams has created an image that this family indeed has money-and definitely enough money to spare for something as completely important as retaining the services of a ghost investigator! This family could afford to redecorate and restore the entire house (I live in SF and I know how expensive it is to restore and redecorate a Victorian home), even adding on an additional room in the back--of which they hired an architect for. Ms. Williams also writes of how they own a summer cottage that they travel to for vacations. They also plan to add a swimming pool to their backyard because their summer home is too far away. And at one point in the book, she and her husband discuss moving out of the house so they begin to look into building another home--a brand new home! I don't buy it for one second that they couldn't afford this investigators services. This is why I find this story difficult to believe. If my children were witnessing ghosts in their bedrooms I would make it top priority to fly an expert out to investigate. There is no ending to this story. Ms. Williams leaves the reader hanging--You don't find out whether or not they still live in the house or what has actually become of the ghosts.
on June 23, 2004
First off, this is a good read no matter how you feel about this subject matter. Having owned a house similar to the one depicted in this book and having similar experiences as Ms. Williams describes, I fully believe the sounds and feelings that she and her family encountered in this book.
However, on the more physical aspects of the story (walnut tree, rose bush, basement flood, etc.) I would like to have seen some more evidence, specifically pictoral. But, again having had some similar physical phenomenon happen to me I can understand that taking photographs isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
Overall I feel the book well worth the read and would recommend it to anyone who is interested or curious about this subject.
on May 29, 2004
I got this book as a housewarming gift for my brother and his wife who were claiming to hear 'bumps in the night', and worse, after moving into their fixer-upper. It was originally bought to be a gag-gift from his skeptical sibling but I glanced through it before giving it to them and once I started to read this story I couldn't put the book down. In fact I read it twice before I finally handed it over to them.
My sister-in-law thanked me for getting them the book and said it helped knowing they weren't the only people to have weird experiences like that in an old haunted house.
Personally I've never had an unusual, or paranormal, encounter and never thought much about spirits or hauntings one way or the other before. But after listening to the stories of my brother's newly purchased old house I am now intrigued. I know my brother and his wife are honest people and if they claim to have seen and heard ghosts I believe them. I also believed the story told in "Haunted" because a lot of it seemed so similar to my own family members' experiences, especially how the majority of the spirits seemed to be children and how they interact with them.
If you live in your own haunted house or know someone who does this book will really be something that you can relate to.
on March 12, 2004
This is an excellent example of how a haunting should be explained, directly from the person having the experience. It gives the narration a lot more sincerity and depth. The supernatural is a fascinating topic, but difficult to really comprehend. This book gave me a better understanding as to what it must be like to live in a house inhabited by spirits, because it was told by someone who actually did.
on March 11, 2004
... is missing a punch. Warning: may contain a few spoilers.
The book itself tells a good story: it's interesting, flows easily, and you feel for the characters. But there're a few things that bothered me about the book. Included are a few photographs of items the family found, yet were not supernatural in any way. The author tells us of a photo she took that contains the face of a ghost, yet it's not presented in the book.
Something I had a hard time believing was the almost immediate growth of a tree, from sapling to full size, as well as a rosebush that appeared almost overnight. This like these would have really attracted attention from neighbors, and would have most likely brought local news crews to the scene to see the miracles. Yet, other than the neighbor asking if they could prune the tree, it went basically unnoticed.
Good story, but not completely believable, even if you believe in the supernatural.
on March 7, 2004
This is the best book i have ever read. I just started reading it and could not put it down. finshed it in 1 day.