5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia
I grew up in Lewiston, which during my childhood was a small, sleepy village where my father was mayor for four terms (He ran on both tickets!) Tho I left a few years before this book, I recognized names and places the author mentioned.
Published on July 4 2001 by Sally Coup

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been splendid
Published on Dec 3 2000 by Charlotte Vale-Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been splendid, Dec 3 2000
This review is from: Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir (Paperback)
Here is a memoir that deserved far more care in editing than it received. As a result, the misspellings and anachronisms seriously detract from the pleasure of reading about one of the most eccentric families ever. As the overactive only child of two truly fascinating people, Catherine Gildiner started working in her father's pharmacy at the age of four. Her adventures with customers and with her peers, but most especially with her parents are told with great good humor and kindness. Unfortunately, the problems mentioned above get in the way so badly that it made for tedious, sometimes maddening reading of what would, with judicious editing, have been a wonderful autobiographical piece. Just to cite two examples: the Jackie Gleason show aired on Saturday nights, not on Fridays. And the spelling of famous names often varies within a single paragraph.
Unfortunate, too, are the last few chapters. They come as a letdown to an otherwise thoroughly engaging memoir. Ms. Gildiner deserved far better treatment. One can only hope that her next publisher/next editor will do the job right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, July 4 2001
Sally Coup (Selinsgrove, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir (Paperback)
My Catholic school education differed from hers, as I went to a different school but am enthralled with her changes, both as a Catholic and a person.
I had heard only sketchy stories about the take over of the Tuscarora land and was incensed when I read her account.
I'm almost finished with it, and I hate to get to the last page. At some point, I'm sure I'll reread it and digest more.
Good book! Excellent storytelling!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing story, March 28 2014
This review is from: Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir (Paperback)
This was an amazing story, just unbelievable, the girl was so smart and old for her age, and the way her parents were bringing her up was so different, especially for the times, I loved it, and have passed it on to others, they have all enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too funny!, Nov. 22 2013
This review is from: Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir (Paperback)
I grew up in central NYS at about the same time as Catherine, so the setting is familiar, the characters and stories touching and hilarious. It is a treat for the child in all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Nov. 23 2012
This was a skillfully crafted memoir describing a highly unusual childhood, yet with plenty of moments that the reader can relate to personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 30 2014
This review is from: Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir (Paperback)
I have given this book away so many times. It is a rare gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 25 2014
R. Tannahill "reader" (canada) - See all my reviews
Loved the book until the end. Wish it had ended differently

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, lively, enchanting memoir, May 22 2001
This review is from: Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir (Paperback)
A beautifully written memoir - my mother recommended it to me, that's always a plus. The author really made me feel connected to her, and women/girls growing up in general. Although my childhood was completely different (on the surface), I could completely identify with the feelings and experiences Gildiner describes. Too Close to the Falls is one of those archetypal stories that describes a life that we've all lived to some extent. Message to the author: PLEASE WRITE A SEQUEL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Memoir, Aug. 3 2011
This review is from: Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir (Paperback)
This is an excellent, funny, intelligent memoir that captures a time, and a family perfectly. What I appreciate most in a memoir is the element of truth -- not so much truth as in the facts, but in the telling. Incredibly enjoyable and well-written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rare Find, Dec 19 2009
W. R., Vanderburgh (Shallow Lake Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir (Paperback)
I suppose we all have the memories within ourselves which would enable us to write an autobiography, but few persons manage to put pen to paper and create a book such as "Too Close To The Falls: A Memoir". I was captivated from the very first chapter and was most disappointed when I reached the end. As a result I went back and reread certain chapters. One of my favourites was the one about the arrival of the television. I could imagine peeking into the living room watching Catherine decorating her TV (shrine?) with packs of Camel cigarettes in time for John Cameron Swayze's nightly visit with his "Camel Caravan". It was fascinating to read of her early years with her off-beat family. She had so much energy that she burned if off by working at her father's Drug Store tarting at 4 years of age. How she and Roy became a team is a great story in itself.

I grew up in Toronto not too far from Lewiston (and Niagara) as the crow flies, during the same time period. Reading her book triggered many similar memories of my youth. As an example, I remember visiting Niagara Falls while some outdoor pieces of the movie set used in "Niagara" were still in place (the motel). I'm glad she has such a good memory.

I heard Catherine being interview on CBC radio. After the interview I ordered a copy of both her biographical books from Amazon. I was not disappointed.

Ron Vanderburgh
Shallow Lake, Ontario

Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir
Too Close to the Falls: A Memoir by Catherine Gildiner (Paperback - Oct. 1 1999)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68