4.0 out of 5 stars A Reference for Most Viewers
This book, is not aimed at fans who have watched each episode numerous times, been to Internet chat rooms on the show, and don't need a book that merely tells them what they already know. It is aimed at the majority of "West Wing" viewers who watch when they can and might tape the show but may have missed a few episodes and who would like an easily available...
Published on Dec 16 2001 by B. E. Warne

3.0 out of 5 stars Look before you leap
This book wasn't what I expected it to be. There are errors throughout the book and they should have been caught before this book was published. From the wrong dates, wrong episode information, mispellings of names, and on.
I couldn't even enjoy this book because of all of the errors. (...)
Published on Nov. 24 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore Fans, beware, Nov. 26 2001
"webmistress@joshlyman.com" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside The West Wing: An Unauthorized Look at Television's Smartest Show (Paperback)
If you're a hardcore West Wing fan, save yourself some money and nerves and skip this one. It's got more mistakes in it than a high school girl's essay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore Fans, beware, Nov. 26 2001
"webmistress@joshlyman.com" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I originally intended to purchase this book along with the two others that came out on the same subject. The West Wing is my favorite show, and I consider myself a very hardcore fan, one who can quote long phrases and cite details, if awoken in the middle of the night. This book has more errors in it than a 7-year-old's essay, and I felt I'd be better off never turning my eyes its way. It's just upsetting how little the author paid attention to what's going on in the show.

3.0 out of 5 stars Look before you leap, Nov. 24 2001
By A Customer
I couldn't even enjoy this book because of all of the errors. (...)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it for the serious fan, Nov. 15 2001
Toni Kamsler (Smithtown, NY United States) - See all my reviews
If you're a *serious* fan of The West Wing -- and you people know who you are -- this book is not for you.
Too much of the book was an episode summary; you can get that for free at any one of several terrific TWW web sites. I will say that the best part of Challen's book was the chapter devoted to four West Wing fan sites. It's always good to see an author who recognizes where the real fans hang out. <g>
Overall, I would have liked to see more information about the actors, and I DEFINITELY expected to see more pictures and behind-the-scenes tidbits. Has Mr. Challen ever been behind-the-scenes of this show? From some of the mistakes he made, I'm not convinced he's watched every episode.
In other words, if you're a true fan -- you don't need this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book because of content, or because of subject?, Nov. 12 2001
While I quite enjoyed this book, I wasn't sure if it was because I'm a devoted fan of the show, or because it was actually good. I loved the summaries of the episodes, but thought they could have done away with the online aspects of the fandom (except for the excellent features on jedbartlet.com and the sadly now-missing testytoads sites). Although I'm a fanfic writer, I appreciate the author not including very much detail about sites where fic can be found. A few of Mr. Challen's observations about the series were confusing. He offers wonderful insight into a few of the characters, but some of his critizisms are based on scenes that either didn't happen or weren't in the final script. (For example, he is incredulous that Donna could stroll into the White House and decree herself Deputy Deputy Chief of Staff. (My words, not his. His involve better English than mine :) If I remember "ITSOTG Pt.2" correctly, Donna did this while they were on the campaign trail.) At any rate, a piddling annoyance in an otherwise fine book. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves the West Wing and cannot bear to wait for the 'authorized' novels to be printed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Nov. 12 2001
By A Customer
A good start for West Wing fans... There are a few errors...ie: George McGovern was neither a Gov. or from Minnesota...Overall alot of fun to gander at.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for the casual viewer and diehard Wingnut, Nov. 10 2001
By A Customer
As a devoted Winger, I jumped at the chance to own this book. It was well worth the money.
With cast/character bios, critic reaction analysis, a look at the fans online (yay Susannah and Testy!), and an episode summary guide for the first two seasons, this is a must have for any fan.
Make this a stocking stuffer for the Wingnut you love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Nov. 9 2001
By A Customer
I thought the book was good. I enjoyed reading about how the West Wing is written and produced. The summary on the characters, actors, and episodes were awesome. I agree that The West Wing was smart to make Janel Moloney a regular. Janel is amazing as Donna. She is really talented, she's a gem. I also thought the book should of had more photos and more on Dule Hill and Janel Moloney.

Inside The West Wing: An Unauthorized Look at Television's Smartest Show