Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on March 5, 2004
This book had promise but ended up with a mediocre delivery. There was some entertaining moments for remembrance of ridiculous gimmicks but overall, it began falling flat about half way through. Reynolds dwells upon Hulk Hogan's movies rather than on actual wrestling for a lengthy chapter. Now I know Hogan's movies are unbelievable crap but I didn't really need Reynolds to rehash and summarize every one of the movies. He also rants about the Monday Night wars and the nWo at length after promising he wasn't presenting this book to look at the mainstream stars and stories.
While the book was certainly readable, I was expecting something a bit different, maybe more coverage on the lame ass gimmicks he began talking about. There was more to Scott Hall than the nWo afterall (he did portray a gator wrangler). The further the book went, the more Reynolds talked about the big stars.
Overall, the book is entertaining to some degree and a wrestling fan will enjoy it. I expected more focus on the could-a-been gimmick-wrestlers and stories rather than the superstars and major storylines. Maybe some of the dumbass gimmicks the stars used to be (Blue Blazer, Starship Coyote, Big Bully Busick, Planet Stasiak, Raven's Nest, the Skyscrapers, Powers of Pain, etc.). I certainly could have done without the movie review chapter and the author's venting of his despisal of the nWo and the McMahons.
on December 30, 2003
Let me start by saying that I am a major fan of the wrestlecrap website, and RD is a hilarious guy. But, I must admit I was a bit dissapointed by his book. First of all, on the website when a crappy gimmick is dissected we are treated to images, video, and soundbites that enhance the craptastic experience. Reading a description of Mantaur isn't nearly as funny as seeing a grown man dressed like a cow-beast try to wrestle. Maybe I've been spoiled, but a description of this ridiculousness in words just doesn't drive the point across as powerfully.
Also, much of the book is just descriptions of what we've seen from WWF and WCW without really ripping into them too much. RD is a very funny man, I just wished he'd gone off a bit more, he seemed to be reporting rather than offering commentary on what happened. I know he has strong, funny opinions about this, there's no need to just regurgitate what's already happened. Ridicule and mock it for all it's worth! Give me heel color commentary!
I also wish he had delved more into the twisted psychology behind some of the more blatantly rascist, stereotypical, xenophibic, or homoerotic concepts behind these failed gimmicks. Wrestling is largely ignored by mainstream media, so they are often let off the hook for these transgressions. I wish RD had expounded on this a bit more and taken them to task. Is this the work of narrow-minded bookers or is this what fans demand? How does THAT reflect on all of us?
All in all though it was a fun quick, read, but lacks the punch of the website. A great first effort for Mr. Reynolds, I look forward to his next book.
on April 15, 2004
When I purchased this, I was under the assumption that the book was going to be all about Wrestlecrap and the bad ideas in wrestling over the years, but it wasn't. Instead, I got a book that simply detailed the history of WCW and the WWF (mentioning both the good and the bad). While that's a nice little story in it's own right, that's not what I paid for. I got the book to read about the likes of Papa Shango and Repo Man, not the Monday ratings wars. While it's true that certain gimmicks are covered, they're only presented in these two ways:
A.) Barely described and only given one sentence or paragraph.
B.) Copied and pasted from the WrestleCrap site.
There are far superior wrestling books out there.
on January 23, 2004
I have to admit, "Wrestlecrap" is one of the few books where I actually considered inflating my rating. The book seems like it was a genuine labor of love for someone who, as far as I know, is not a professional writer by trade. And there were a number of good laughs to be found within its pages. But I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that as a big fan of the "Wrestlecrap" web-site, I found myself somewhat disappointed in the book, and have a feeling that other fans of the site will have the same reaction.
The whole appeal of the "Wrestlecrap" web-site, and what makes it a source of such hilarity, is how it goes into minute detail describing the ridiculousness and inanity of some of the worst wrestling gimmicks ever presented to the public. In this book, though, instead of "going with what brought him to the dance", the book is written more as a "Cliffs Notes" history of the wrestling business over the past twenty years. The dumb angles, preposterous gimmicks, and ridiculous storylines that are gone over with a fine tooth comb to hilarious effect on the web-site are often given only a few sentence description in the book. Granted, these are generally a hysterical few sentences, I just wish the book offered the same level of detail that the web-site does.
I also noticed a number of factual and chronological inaccuracies in the book, which leads me to believe that the author chose to rely primarily on his memory for research (the very short "Sources" section at the end of the book seems to confirm my suspicion). For example, the author claims that Hulk Hogan's box office bomb, "Santa with Muscles", as opposed to ruining Hogan's acting career, actually led to him getting his own TV series, "Thunder in Paradise". Only problem is, "Thunder in Paradise" came out in 1994, "Santa with Muscles" hit theaters in 1996. In the chapter entitled "Warrior Wisdom", Reynolds claims that after breaking into the business together in California, Jim "Ultimate Warrior" Hellwig and Steve "Sting" Borden went their separate ways, with Sting going to the Mid-South/UWF promotion and Ultimate Warrior going to World Class Wrestling in Texas. Actually, Sting and Warrior went to Mid-South/UWF Wrestling together as The Blade Runners tag team before Warrior later left for World Class. Reynolds was also off on when Ole Anderson was fired as WCW booker (he was actually fired BEFORE the infamous "Black Scorpion" angle reached its conclusion, not after as the book claims) and on when the NWO split into the "NWO Hollywood" and "NWO Wolfpac" factions (the book claims the split came after the "Fingerpoke of Doom" angle between Hulk Hogan and Kevin Nash, when actually that angle is what ended the split). Admittedly, some of these are fairly minor errors, but for a book that is primarily going to appeal to long-time hardcore wrestling fans, there is nothing that an author can do to lose credibility with his audience that to present a number of incorrect facts that many readers will pick up on.
I'm probably being overly negative here, a result of high expectations. I should mention that the book is very well-written and there were times when Reynolds really hit his grove, like when describing the inane plotlines of many Hulk Hogan movies, rehashing some of Vince McMahon's hair-brained schemes like the World Bodybuilding Federation and XFL, or when going off on the 200 years behind the times portrayal of black wrestlers like Kimala or Saba Simba. I also selfishly hope that despite its faults, the book sells extremely well so that Reynolds can bring back the full Wrestlecrap web-site, instead of the scaled down version that has been up for the past few years.