5.0 out of 5 stars Looking on the Bright Side of Differences
Children are often afraid of people who are different when they first meet. You can use this book to help your child understand that we are all unique, and that there are benefits to be found in our differences.
Published on May 30 2001 by Donald Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but this one is a mini version.
I love this book and always have, but beware! It's mini. Unfortunately, I returned mine and ordered it in the larger size for $6.60.
Published 17 months ago by Bethany Duiker

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but this one is a mini version., April 10 2013
Bethany Duiker (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking on the Bright Side of Differences, May 30 2001
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
Julie is freaked out on her way home from school to see movers taking a spoon as big as a shovel, a fork as large as a pitchfork, and a knife as long as a flagpole into a neighboring house. "'Yikes,' said Julie, 'I don't want to get to know those people at all.'" The next day, and on the same spot, she sees a new boy who invites her to play. Although it is near where those enormous implements went, the boy looks normal to her and she plays with him. At five o'clock comes the sound of an enormous call for "DAVID!!" that sends her scampering home to hide in her room until breakfast. The next day, she plays with David again and learns that his father is a giant. Gradually overcoming her shyness, she has dinner with David and his father. She gets over her fears when she sees that David's father is gentle and caring.
"David, you don't look very much like your father." "Well, I'm adopted." These days many families make no special effort to adopt children who look just like the parents. This book also gives you the chance to explain how love and caring are more important than similarities of appearance.
They then go out together. The children are ignored by the adults they meet, whether in crossing the street or buying things. Kids also try to pick on them. In each case, people become more considerate when David's Father says something in his loud voice like "STOP" or "THOSE KIDS ARE MY FRIENDS" or "BEAT IT." Some may interpret these incidents as bullying. I didn't see it that way. David's Father only steps in after wrongs are occurring, and he does the least he could do to remedy the situation. The overreactions by those who hear him are just there for fun. David's Father didn't demand those overreactions. People are just responding with trepedition to his size, as Julie originally had done.
Since all children are smaller than almost all adults, taking some of the fear out of size is a good subject for a book like this one. So I commend Mr. Munsch for his selection of story subject, theme, and plot.
To me, though, the best part of the book is to be found in the humorous illustrations that give the story a light, friendly tone. For example, Mr. Munsch's punchline ("Wait until you meet my grandmother.") is solid, but when combined with the view of a large gorilla leg in a red pump towering over the two children it becomes hilarious.
You should anticipate questions from your child about what the advantages are of various kinds of differences, such as people of other religions, with appearances dissimilar to yours, having disabilities, and experiencing mental problems. Your child will be quick to spot the issues for these differences, but much slower to see the advantages. If your family is religious, I suggest that you make your explanations in terms of the values that your family believes in and upholds in your worship. For example, Job's trials may be appropriate as one source of ideas for those who study the Old Testament.
Vive les differences!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, June 3 2012
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
When I received this book, I was disappointed to find out that it was a mini book (approx 2 x 2 inches). It did not state this in the description when I placed the order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for children and parents dealing with adoption, Sept. 28 2001
Helga Thomsen (Eagle Rock, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
This has always been one of my son's favorite bedtime stories. It doesn't hurt that his name is also David. Like the David in the story, he doesn't look exactly like his parents. Like the David in the story, that doesn't bother him. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that this book will comfort all children struggling with identity issues related to adoption, I would say that it delivers an important message.

2.0 out of 5 stars sends a questionable message, Feb. 11 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
I bought this book based on its description, thinking it would be a great little story about accepting people's differences. However, after a couple of times through, I gave up trying to put a favorable spin on it for my little girl. While it is a fairly entertaining little story, it is marred for us by the message that David's father is acceptable because he is so big and frightening that he scares people into giving the children what they want. David's father is cool because he's a bully? It seems to me we already have too many "might makes right" stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars love minis, Dec 19 2013
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
A full size story that fits in your purse! perfect size and price for birthday loot bags or to keep in your purse to keep kids busy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lynn, Jan. 10 2013
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
My son loves Robert Munsch stories so when I saw these books for $2 I thought perfect! I had no idea that they were only the size of the palm of your hand though!!! Ended up being a stocking stuffer this Christmas because of how teeny tiny the are !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is simply plain fun enjoyable reading kids love, June 14 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
Robert Munsch is one of the all time best children's authors. I enjoy reading his books to my kindergarten class. They love to hear how silly his books are!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great _LITTLE_ book!, Dec 5 2007
Melissa Martin (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
This book is a wonderful classic from Robert Munsch however this version is tiny! I didn't realize it when I bought it, but it arrived today all 2X2 inches square of it! I love the story but wish I'd bought a much bigger book. :(

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY TINY BOOK, Jan. 3 2010
Rebecka Anderson (Lethbridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David's Father (Paperback)
Great story just no where before purchasing does it say that the book is literally 2 x 2 inches in size and not the size of an actual regular book. BEWARE if this is what you are looking for.

David's Father
David's Father by Robert Munsch (Paperback - Jan. 1 1983)
CDN$ 1.99