I adore Robert Munsch. I think he's a masterful storyteller and his long-time collaboration with illustrator Michael Marchenko has produced some amazing children's classics.

Published 5 months ago by Mary Lavers

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best
Published on July 7 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, July 7 2002
This review is from: Pigs (Paperback)
My 3 1/2 year old daughter is a huge Munch fan and likes this one well enough, but it's my least favourite. She tends to memorize books and quote them constantly, and I'm not thrilled with the "hey, you dumb...." mantra. This is kind of minor, but how was it that the pigs showed up at school after Megan locked them back in at home? If you're wanting to add to your Munch collection, he's written better. Alligator Baby and Thomas's Snowsuit are fun without the insults and a little more logically consistent.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Robert Munsch, but I don't always love the board book editions, July 22 2014
Mary Lavers "CozyLittleBookJournal" (Dartmouth, NS, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pigs (Board book)

Sometimes, however, when his books are condensed to board book form, they lose some of their oomph. The best parts are edited out, or they're oversimplified, or the magic is somehow not there.

Pigs, however, retains all of its "Pigness" even in the shorter format. My only problem with it is that I'm not sure this particular story *needed* to be made into a board book.

The board book format is presumably so it's easier for little hands to handle, so that younger children can access the story. I'm not sure Pigs is best suited for younger kids. It's one of the Robert Munsch stories that has characters being a bit rude to each other, with the constant refrain of "Hey you dumb pigs!". This may be fine for school-age children, but a lot of parents and teachers don't like reading that kind of impolite phrase to very young children.

This review was first posted on my blog, Cozy Little Book Journal, and is based on a digital review copy of the board book edition that I received through NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!!, Sept. 15 1998
This review is from: Pigs (Paperback)
My teacher read PIGS to my class. A girl said that pigs aren't smart. I think that pigs are smart! When I grow up if decide to be a book publisher, I would publish a book like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pigs-Desription, May 13 2002
This review is from: Pigs (Paperback)
Pigs was an exciting and interesting book to do an author study on. My friends and I had a very fun experience acting this book out for a play. We got to show everyone the exciteness of this book. I know Robert Munsch had a very exciting experience writing this book. I recommend for kids to read this book, because not only is it a book for fun but it also teaches a moral. The moral is that you should listen to your elders. This book is better than other books because it is exciting and thrilling. I would rate this book 5 stars!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars We Love THis Book, April 24 2002
This review is from: Pigs (Paperback)
I read this book yesterday to my 3-year-old pre-k class today during our afternoon circle time. This story had their attention from beginning to end. I have to add Robert Munsch to our list of favorite authors. Pigs kept my class of 24, that is not a typo,twenty-four 3-year-olds entertained 2 times in a row! The want to hear it again tomorrow for our morning circle time.
...

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL read-aloud..., April 16 2002
Jennifer Churchwell (Grapevine, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pigs (Paperback)
Being a substitute teacher isn't always the easiest job and sometimes you have a lot of time to fill. I frequently used this book during those down times and it was ALWAYS a hit with the grade school set, they loved to make the pig sounds in the book. A MUST HAVE for any grade school teacher or a parent with grade school aged children!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute book but it is very small, June 22 2009
Luke Harris (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pigs (Mini book) (Paperback)
Well, clearly I missed the (mini book) portion of this ad. The book was presented to me when I was purchasing another item. Naturally the great priced induced me to buy it. When I received it I could not believe how small the book was. My kids enjoy the story but have a hardtime getting into such a small book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for little hands, June 16 2014
This review is from: Pigs (Mini book) (Paperback)
If you child loves animals and silly stories they will love this book.
My toddler loves the Robert Munsch books and the prefers the mini books as they fit perfectly in her hands and are easy for her to turn the pages no matter where she is. Great for parents too for travelling and takes up no room. Can throw the book in your pocket or purse as you are running out the door.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who let the pigs out?, May 29 2014
Storywraps "Marilyn" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pigs (Mini book) (Paperback)
This hilarious book will have your kids rolling on the floor with laughter. It is now being released in board book form so little hands can experience the happiness of handling and cuddling their own-sized book. The text and illustrations are modified from the original but will not be missed by a brand new gang of potential Munsch lovers.

Megan's dad asks her to feed the pigs but to be careful not to open the gate because pigs are smarter than you think. Megan promises she will not allow that to happen and heads off outside to the pigpen. Her observation after leaning over the gate and giving the piggies a going over with her eyeballs concludes that pigs are the dumbed looking animals that she has ever seen. Little by little her nose gets closer to the specimens and the gate creeps open a little more each time she leans in. The pigs watch her, wait patiently and at the precise perfect time they all stampede out of the gate. Oh oh!

They make a beeline or should I say piggyline to the house and cause havoc and chaos inside. "Get these pigs out of here! yelled her father. Megan yelled, "HEY YOU DUMB PIGS!" The pigs jumped up-wap, wap, wap! - and ran out the door." Then they zoom off to Megan's school to cause mayhem and disturbances there. When it's time to head for home and the bus pulls up for pick up, guess whose driving the bus? You guessed it...all aboard the piggy bus....and the pigs squeal and chew (the bus seats) and party ..... all the way home. Could Megan restrain herself from ever repeating that faux pas again? You will laugh at loud at the last page where that question just may be answered for you. Oh oh!
The illustrations are magnificent! Spot on! Amazing! Colourful, full of expression and emotion, action-packed and cartoonish. There is so much going on in each picture that it is worthwhile visiting the book again and again just to explore the illustrations and appreciate all of Martchenko's work. The teamwork of the best text-writer and the best creative artist makes this book a must have and I am so glad they downsized it so little pint-sized humans can start early on becoming a Robert Munsch/Michael Martchenko fan. Yea and they are both Canadian! Hurray for Canada!

2.0 out of 5 stars "dumb" through out the book, April 4 2014
This review is from: Pigs (Board book)
The word "dumb" written throughout the book, and although the meaning of the story is that pigs are not dumb, I did not feel like having my 2 1/2 year old going to daycare and calling the other kids "dumb" since it would have been her nearly learned word.

Pigs
Pigs by Robert Munsch (Library Binding - Feb. 1 1992)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01