biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 17, 2016
Very good!! Highly recommended!
on September 29, 2012
I am pretty disappointed with this cookbook. (I have the 10th anniversary edition). There are a few fantastic recipes but most are pretty blah, some downright awful. I enjoyed this book more when I was just learning to cook but now that I know more about cooking it's not creative. It also doesn't seem well edited. The banana oatmeal cookie recipe has no oil or margarine and turned out terrible. An oversight? The index is also terrible.
on August 2, 2012
I've been playing around with vegan lifestyle for only three weeks...... i love that this book has recipes i can actually make as i'm from a small town and cant get to the sity for items of which i don't even know what they are! ,y mother and sister have also purchased it after me. LOOOOVE IT!!
on January 6, 2008
I have never been very skilled in the kitchen. I have picked up any number of cookbooks, and been immediately overwhelmed by the crazy-long lists of ingredients, oddball ingredients I knew I'd never use again, skipped steps where they just assume you know how to poach things or similar, and complex and involved directions. For more years than I care to admit (I'm in my 30's), this has caused me to put the book down and once again postpone learning to cook. And the times when I tried anyway I have cooked up some serious disasters. I can't even express how embarrassing this all is.

After going vegan, I thought I was first going to have to learn how to do all the cooking processes I never learned, and then learn how to modify everything to make it vegan. So I knew I should do it but dreaded the process even more.

This book is full of simple but delicious recipes. It assumes nothing and gives you detailed instructions starting with the very basics. The ingredients are mostly common stuff like baking powder, apple sauce, and similar... the only exception I can think of being nutritional yeast, which is still a common ingredient when it comes to vegan dishes and easily found at most health food stores. There's a wide variety of recipes in there but I found that if I stocked up on some core ingredients, I had a base from which I could make a good portion of the dishes on a whim, without making a special trip to the market for needed items.

For the first time in my life, I am making yummy food at home, from scratch, without assistance! I am proving to myself and others that I can cook after all. And I've learned that you don't need prior cooking knowledge - you can learn to cook vegan to begin with, and then you won't have to un-learn anything else.

This book has helped me immensely, and really changed the way I think about cooking and being vegan.
on January 6, 2007
I now have the whole trilogy of Sarah Kramer's books (and consequently the duo that Tanya Barnard co-wrote) and this one is the cookbook of the three that I always go back to. The chili recipe is to die for! If you only want to get one of the trilogy (though I recommend you get them all!), this is the one you should get.
on March 29, 2006
This book is great!!It has tons of great recipes for making everything!!!It makes it so much easier to be a vegetarian or vegan for sure!! Sarah ROCKS!!!
on December 3, 2005
Sarah Kramer's vegan cookbooks are the best darn cookbooks ever.. period. This will make living vegan easy, fun and rewarding. The recipes are practical, creative and yummy!! Please buy this book and take the next step to becoming vegan. You will detoxify your body and help the earth and animals greatly, and be all around happier and healthier!
on December 3, 2005
A real breakthough of a cookbook. It is simple and fun! I hope Sarah Kramer's book convinces lots of people to go vegan (who wouldn't.. you are detoxifying your body and helping the earth and animals, especially now that there are amazing guides like this!!) The recipes are both practical and creative.. and very yummy!! Please, get all the cookbooks by this author (The third is out now!) and take the next step to healthiness!
on September 18, 2005
I found this book incredibly helpful. I have tried the vegan diet before and was always unsuccessful, but this book has made it so much easier. The zucchini bread rocks, as does the mashed potatoes with kale and pasta with garlic and parsley. The pancakes were difficult to make at first, but im confident that with a second try they will be perfect. I needed to change my diet for health reasons, and this book has made the transition significantly easier. Some of the items are expensive as a previous reviewer mentioned, but in my opinion, its worth the money if you're really ready to change your diet. Aslo, the other benefit to these recipes is that you could very easily substitute real eggs instead of egg substitute or milk instead of soy milk if you were having company and didnt want to serve vegan food. Truly a wonderful book!
on July 6, 2004
Self-described "lazy vegetarians" Sarah Barnard and Sarah Kramer are two long-time friends who decided to "go vegan" as a result of their love of animals. Together they have collaborated to bring aspiring vegetarians How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes For An Animal-Free Diet in order to help them make the transition from a meat-based to a meatless diet. The recipes include entrees, soups, sauces, breads, salads, and desserts which can provide the makings of terrific menus for any and all occasions. From Sparkling Homemade Ginger Ale; Garlic Dill Cream Cheese; and Stuffed Spaghetti Squash; to Maple Buttersque Icing; Zesty Cheese Spread; and Spiced Chai Tea, How It All Began is completely "kitchen cook friendly" and is additionally enhanced with vegan friendly recipes for cosmetics, hair products, pet treats, and even household cleaners.