5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!
I follow a very strict diet for health reasons and this book has been a life saver. Not only is it the best vegan cookbook I have found, it simply is our best cookbook period. Great ideas, easy-to-use format, readily available ingredients and sensational flavours. What a find!
Published on April 21 2003 by Bill Roche

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste
I hate to write a negative review, but based on the positive reviews here (and my desire to find great vegan fare I could make at home) I purchased this book, eagerly awaited it, and then...was so disappointed with it that I sold it. Pros: the book is well-organized, very user friendly, the recipes will get you to buy something new, and the other reviewers here seemed to...
Published on March 21 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, April 21 2003
Bill Roche (Surrey, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Everyday Vegan: Recipes & Lessons for Living the Vegan Life (Paperback)
An added bonus is that kids love it. My son and his friends particularly like the treats, especially the chocolate cake and the coconut-raspberry squares. It is great to have such healthy alternatives.
My wife and I have been using this book for over a year and have given it as a gift to several people. They all love it. We have also shared the recipes with many friends when entertaining. It is so much fun to watch people's reactions as they sample these delectable dishes. Our adult favorites are the tiramisu, the tofu sandwich filling (we couldn't believe tofu could taste so great), spiced mushroom potato phyllo pie and the chocolate cake (everyone loves this cake).
And check out the holiday feast menu - incredible.
This book has certainly earned a 5 star rating!... We were delighted with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Vegetarian Fare, March 30 2003
Tanya White (Ottawa , Canada) - See all my reviews
A friend who had recently become vegetarian recommended the everyday vegan. I was truly impressed with this book even though I am not a vegetarian. I especially liked the little notes by each recipe that gave helpful tips as well as substitutions. Some of the ingredients were unfamiliar to me so her explanation of the less common ones was really helpful. I first made coconut raspberry squares and they were amazing. Since soup is such a wonderful comfort food I made pureed curried squash and yam soup as well as chickpea mash stew. Both of which my husband and kids really enjoyed which is always a bonus. Dreena Burton has written an amazing book and I do hope she plans to follow it with a second one. The recipes are easy to make so even the most inexperienced cook would be able to make a great meal. Everyone should buy this book and venture into the world of vegetarian fare. Those of you out there who have never tried this type of food you are in for a real treat. Plus because they are so healthy you will feel great after eating these meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars odd cover - GREAT CONTENT, Sept. 5 2003
I wasn't going to buy this book because of the cover. I guess that's why they say, 'don't judge a book by its cover.' As I started to use it I realized there was a significant amount of content in this book. I don't just mean recipes. (don't get me wrong - there are lots of good recipes too,its just there is a lot more to this book than recipes) I suggest anybody looking for advice on how to use and prepare many of the ingredients we see in vegetarian / vegan recipes buy this book right now. You won't be disappointed. You will get a lot more information and content than most of the other vegetarian vegan books that are out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my vegan family, Feb. 12 2002
This book is super! I am a new vegan - vegetarian for 2 years and vegan since last summer and have been experimenting with quite a few vegan and vegetarian cookbooks. There are many unique - and so far - delicious recipes in this book. The Caesar dressing with roasted garlic was amazing. My 2 kids (7&4)loved the Chickpea Stew and Tropical rice pudding. This book is definitely making it easier for my kids to eat better meals because it tastes so good. I can't wait to try more recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, Jan. 27 2002
By A Customer
I was fortunate to recently purchase several vegan cookbooks[....] I have to admit, I was unsure about purchasing this one as there is currently not much specific information about the book's content on the web site (ie, other books have sample pages available for viewing-probably as this is a recently published book). The book's cover and the fact that information available states the author uses no hydrogenated oils and very little refined flours/sugars convinced me to buy the book. I am SO GLAD that I did. As luck would have it, this turned out to be one of the best cookbooks I've ever bought. Not only are the recipes vegan, using healthful ingredients, the recipes are also very straightforward, using ingredients commonly found in the average person's pantry/refridgerator. The recipes I've tried so far include Spicy Thai Stew; Tomato-Olive Rice Bake; Ginger Holsein Noodles; Double Chocolate Pecan Chippers(cookies); Orange Almond Scones; and Sweet and Simple Grain Pilaf. Everything I've made has turned out great, and was very easy prepare. The fact that this book is endorsed by Ingrid Newkirk, President of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, is an added bonus. For those of you out there who also realize that this book is a wise investment, you might want to consider buying 2 copies right away- one for yourself and one to give as a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Vegan Cookbook, July 12 2002
By A Customer
This is by far my favourite vegan cookbook. The recipes really work and taste great. Best of all, they are not intimidating. They are practical and easy to follow. I particularly like the Cooking Tips and How To sections where she tells us exactly how to use and prepare the ingredients. I don't know why there isn't a better description of the book or sample pages for people to browse but after I got my copy I noticed the book has its own website ([...]) which has gorgeous food photos, most of which are also in the book. The website also has a photo of the author and her new baby, proof positive that a vegan diet doesn't leave you drained of energy. Apparently the baby is also vegan so she walks her talk. The back cover has a ringing endorsement from PETA which I am sure will be of interest to many. Don't hesitate to add this one to your shopping cart... You'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just saw her at VegFest in Seattle, March 7 2002
Sharon (Bellevue, WA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after seeing the author do a cooking demo at the Vegetarians of Washington VegFest in Seattle. She made Mexican Tofu Tacos which I was able to sample. They were delicious and she made it look easy to make. She also had samples of her Double Chocolate Pecan Chipper cookies which were amazing. (That recipe alone made the book a worthy purchase.) I love chocolate and as a vegan its difficult finding tasty desserts and good chocolate recipes. There are a bunch in this book. The chocolate cake is the easiest and tastiest recipe I have ever used. Great Book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So, so, yummy!, April 22 2003
By A Customer
This book is one of my favorite cookbooks. The desserts and baked goodies are awesome, and I also love the marinated tofu mixture for sandwiches. These are some of the tastiest vegan creations I have tried, and they aren't difficult at all. A must for vegan foodies!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan plant based whole foods is the way to go, Feb. 6 2014
This is a good book and part of a good series. I use it a lot. WFPB eating is wonderful ... so healthy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mushroomlicious, Sept. 8 2011
The stuffed portabello mushrooms are just mouthwatering meltaways. Simply delicious.

The Coconut raspberry squares and the coconut cream pie are other favorites that adornes this household's dessert table

The Everyday Vegan: Recipes & Lessons for Living the Vegan Life
The Everyday Vegan: Recipes & Lessons for Living the Vegan Life by Dreena Burton (Paperback - Sept. 1 2001)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 14.81