5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of True Love
This is a great book. It's a story of love gone wrong and true love that waits. It is also a story of the uncoditional love of a parent and proves that no matter what, there is always someone out there who your actions will affect. There is also no such thing as a perfect lie. All lies come out in the wash.
Ms. McCall does a marvelous job with this novel. She...
Published on March 17 2004 by S. K. Leggate

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but too cheesy.
The book was decent. The romance was sweet and I especially liked the father/son bonding that took place. The problem was the dialogue was a little trite, and the characters too square.
Published on July 24 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars fast-paced and entertaining!, June 22 2004
E. N. Ling "Ithaca" (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my first Dinah McCall book. I had left it on my TBR pile after discovering my usual book review site gave it a 'D' rating. I am so glad I picked it up anyway. I found it very entertaining and did not agree with any of the criticisms except those of Macie, the heroine. I not only fully agree she was put there just for 'girlfriend' material, I find it hard to accept any hero finding her alluring! Macie is sweet and caring, a paragon of virtue almost, but she is so ignorant and clueless I ended up clueless myself about why McCall even wrote her into the story. Fortunately, Macie is not one of those TSTL heroines because she doesn't get in the way and she does whatever the hero tells her to do so I didn't have to worry about those TSTL moments romance writers must think readers enjoy (why else why would there be so many?).
Macie reminds me of one of my elderly spinster aunts - she doesn't know what 'intel' means and Jonah has to explain. Hey, this was written post 9/11! Macie's excuse for not knowing is that she 'wasn't thinking'. Well, she is this 'duh' woman from start to end but apart from her, I enjoyed the action, the pace and liked Evan, the kidnapped son. I am looking for more of McCall's titles now but hope these wallpaper heroines are not the usual fare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to put down, March 27 2004
Anne B. "anneb" (Tarrytown, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a great book! I couldn't put it down. It was totally gripping and also very sexy and romantic.
The only drawback was that it was SO gory. Blood was constantly spurting out of people and flowing all over the place. I thought it could have used a bit less of that.
Still, it's just the perfect thing to spend an evening with. It's a quick read, despite having over 300 pages, and it just flies by.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of True Love, March 17 2004
S. K. Leggate "Sunni" (Fernley, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
Ms. McCall does a marvelous job with this novel. She captures and discribes emotions that most of us wouldn't know how to put into words. She spins a captivating tale that you will not be able to walk away from. Don't start this book late at night because if you are like me you will be in for the duration. Enjoy! I know I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed!, Aug. 11 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
I expected the author, at the very least, to be consistent about how smart the hero was. If his experience, gut and survival instincts allow him to conclude that a drug dealer (that fooled the entire staff of a federal prison) was faking his death, then I'm sure he would be smart enough to think twice about anyone working in the government (since he knows there is a mole.) I am extremely disappointed when I figure something out at the beginning of the book (the identity of the mysterious traitor known as the Snowman) that I hope will twist in the end but doesn't. Is it too much to ask that one of the best CIA agents (with the paranoid survival skills I don't have) is smarter about his own safety (as well as that of those he loves) than I am?

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but too cheesy., July 24 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
I usually really enjoy Dinah McCall / Sharon Sala stories. This book just seemed too pat for me. It is a fast read, and the plot twist at the end was interesting. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a little romance and doesn't mind suspending reality for a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good As It Could Be, But O.K. if you are Bored, July 21 2003
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
Pretty unbeleivable, I could see her being attracted to him, but I was not sure what attracted him to her. I thought she was [weak]. I guess overall I would say don't bother unless you are super bored, it was loaned to you and you have nothing else to read.
If you want to read something good, go with Helen Myers, Justine Dare for different authors. Catherine Coulter would be good too. I would give this one a skip.

3.0 out of 5 stars Started Good, Fizzled Out, July 11 2003
Amazon Customer "pmm19518" (Rockville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
I was truly enjoying the beginning of this book. Jonah Slade;Strong hero trying to do the right thing. But then when he meets his love interest, Macie Blaine, they fall in love without many preliminaries. I couldn't suspend my disbelief for that one.
I lost interest toward the end. The love interest was unbelievable and banal. The hero wasted tons of pages and time waiting around for help with his kidnapped son. Why did he call for help from his CIA buddies after 3or 4 days into the kidnapping? Why did he wait around Macie's house day after day instead of going out to his contacts? Some of it just didn't make sense.
This book should have been great. Could have been great. Where's the editor when you need them?
P.S. The other thing that bothered me was that Macie's older sister who had betrayed Jonah had plastic surgery to look younger. Geez, she wasn't 50! She was 40! And is that supposed to make her wicked in the reader's eyes? I was briefly, very briefly under the illusion that Macie's older sister would be the heroine. How refreshing would that have been! A 40 year old woman loving a man the same age.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Strong Read From Ms. Mccall!, July 4 2003
Kristi Ahlers (Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
This is another strong read from a great author. Ms. Mccall delivers again with a strong hero and a great heroine.
Jonah Slade is an undercover CIA agent and he finds out that he has a son that is fifteen years old and that Evan has been kidnapped by a drug lord that has promised revenge for the death of his son. Jonah is floored when he finds out that he was lied to fifteen years earlier, and that he has been cheated yet again by the Blaine family. He will do all he can to save the son he didn't know he had even if it means that he gives himself up to Calderon the Columbian drug lord.
Macie Blaine has loved Jonah for years. Even when he was dating her older sister. She is torn in two when she finds out her sister has been killed, her father has been shot, and her nephew was abducted. She knows the only thing left to do is to track down Jonah and tell him the truth and to ask for help.
Jonah agrees to go back to California with Macie and finds himself not only worried about the safety of his son, but also finds himself attracted to Macie. She is everything her sister wasn't and more. She was kind, loving, and forgiving, and strong when she needed to be. Soon Jonah is totally in love with her and will do all he can to get his son back so he can start a family with Macie.
This was a fast paced read and although Macie is not one of her stronger characters she is still likable. The secondary character plus the added intrigue of who the mole in the organization is helps move the story along. This is really a great book to add to your summer reading list!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Lie, June 17 2003
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
Sixteen years ago, Felicity's lie ended her marriage to CIA agent Jonah Slade. Believing she had aborted their unborn child, he was very willing to end their marriage. Now, after a successful drug raid in South America, he learns that his exwife has been brutally murdered, and the child he thought dead kidnapped by an enemy who wants revenge on Slade for killing his son. Her sister, Macie, who was just a child when he last knew her, has grown up into a stronger woman than Felicity ever was, and is demanding that he help her find his son.
As they work together to rescue the boy before vengeance is taken on him, Slade begins to wonder if he should have waited for the baby sister to grow up, for Macie is much more than Felicity ever could have hoped to be. Dangers all around them drive the couple together as this action packed, exciting romance races to its thrilling and touching conclusion.
***** Under any name, this author is guaranteed to give her readers an exciting story, heady romance, and a touching plot that will warm your heart. Slade is the older man that most of us dream about finding, not too old, but like fine wine, aged to perfection. His son looks to be someone who might grow up to be just like dad, so if the author reads this, please take the hint for a sequel. *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, June 5 2003
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Mass Market Paperback)
I started this book in the early evening and stayed up until 3:00 am until I finished it. It has been a long time since a book kept me so captivated. The story line has already been reviewed so all I can say is that I loved it enough to give it a 5 star rating and it will go on my keeper shelf. I have read some others by this author and was not impressed but this one had characters that were realistic and the story was great and stayed with me for days after I read it.

The Perfect Lie
The Perfect Lie by Dinah Mccall (Mass Market Paperback - May 1 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01