4,272 Reviews
 (3,688)

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely riveting, unparalleled success
It is quite hard to believe just how good Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is; the first three books, all of which impressed me deeply, seem almost forgettable compared to this intense fourth entry in the series. This is as rich a reading experience as you will find, no matter what your age. The storyline as it exists at the end of this mammoth epic has more of a hold...
Published on June 21 2006 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent and morally subversive
Rowling has never been a champion of having characters play by the rules, but in Goblet of Fire, she goes even further. The main plot revolves around the TriWizard tournament, a wizardly contest between the champions of various schools. Harry does not solve one single element of the tournament without either cheating or having some cheat on his behalf - including...
Published on Jan. 7 2002 by Chad M. Brick

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, May 12 2003
Paul Wiseman (Virginia) - See all my reviews
The Harry Potter books live up to the hype, which is saying something, and this is the best of the lot (so far). I have to admit I was skeptical: The Potter books have gotten steadily thicker, this one covering nearly 800 pages. Had success rendered J.K. Rowling self-indulgent, beyond the discipline of editors? Hardly. This may be the fastest 800 pages I've ever read, and I was disappointed when the story ended. As the series has continued, Rowling has found a balance between the comfortably familiar - how we always join Harry right around his birthday, tag along on the annual trek to Hogwart's, witness Peeves' shenanigans - and astounding new creations - such as the Veelas in this book and the Dementors in the previous one. It is great fun to see the characters grow up: watching Hermione mature into what will no doubt be a formidable and impressive young woman; understanding Ron's embarrassment at his cheap clothes - even while we know he should be prouder of his family than any kid at Hogwarts. For this reader, Harry's nervousness, excitement and despair over approaching Cho Chang for a date to the Yule Ball brought back very old memories indeed. I loved this book even though my kids threatened to reveal a key plot twist before I got to it. Another reason to grab the next one before they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just keeps getting better and better...., April 5 2003
K. Roth (Columbiaville, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I read the first two Harry Potter books and then got the audio cassettes for number 3 and 4. These books are great! I listen to a lot of audio books because I drive a lot and I get sick of the radio after a while. Some audio books are hard to keep paying attention to while listening. That is not the case with this particular one.
There are 12 tapes that are 1 and 1/2 hour long. I got so intrigued that I finished it within a week. I listened while driving, cooking supper and even while doing some house painting. The Goblet of Fire is delving further into the mystery of Harry and his world. I am hooked and just can't wait for the next one.
If you don't have a lot of time to read and want to discover some true talent of story telling, try these books on audio. It is a great story and the reader does an excellent job of changing his voice for different charachters and setting the scene for what is going on.
I can see why the man that read these books for audio recieved so many awards. It will keep you on the edge of your seat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rawlinga out did herself with this one., Feb. 26 2003
carol (maysville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire By J.K Rawlings is the best in the series so far. This is a book not for just the young but also for anyone who is looking for a great book to read. J.K. Rawlings has written three books before this one with the theme of the young sorcerer Harry Potter and his adventures.
The story of Harry Potter is never boring or the same things over and over again like some books that are in a series like this. There is always the link between the book with the evil Lord Voldemort and Harry's awful muggle relatives. In this book Harry competes against other sorcerers and sorceress from other witchcraft schools.
This book keeps your attention all the way until the last word. It makes you want to not put the book down and when you get to the end you are ready for the next book. The only thing that I did find that I didn't like was that some of the words were unusual and there was no definition for them. I find it great that J.K. Rawlings can keep the books fresh and exciting for the readers. She also makes the words in the book easy so that children are able to read it. If you have read even one of the Harry Potter books you should continue reading the series to get to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Storytelling with an Undeserved Rap, Feb. 11 2003
R. Cowling "src22" (Leesburg, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
I have all 4 books on tape and I've listened to all of them at least twice. First, Jim Dale is one of the best readers I have ever encountered in audio books, and I've listened to quite a few during my cross country drives. He truly gives the illusion of different people with accents and inflections that just take you into Hogwartz and into Harry's world. Now, for the book, what great story telling; good vs. evil, human nature with all it's goodness and at times faults, the dynamics of friendship, working as a team, integrity, and learning from your mistakes to name a few items that jump out. What great things for our kids! And to know, well to be almost as positive as a reader can be as apposed to the auther, that good will always triumph, the light will always illuminate the dark and dispell it - what hope and what a great message. I have a real problem with those who cast the proverbial stones at this book - usually before they have even read it. I'm a mother of four, raising my children in my faith and I can tell you that I WANT my kids to read these books - granted, I do not think that my 8 yr old is quite ready for the more frightening parts of this particular book, he and his classmates not only enjoyed the other books, they were inspired to actually read these books, or in my kids case, to listen as a family to them. It opened up talks about good vs. evil, why would one friend not trust another or hurt his/her feelings,why are there bad people, etc. In honesty, it has opened up faith dialogue. Yes, there is a great deal of what is considered "supernatural." But my children know that this is fiction and that you can not fly on brooms and the like. That's what we as parents are for, to help our kids to understand what they are reading and be there to answer their questions. I want them to use their imaginations and I want them to have their fairytales as I had them as a child. As a matter of fact, it was just such a fairytale that in the 4th grade took me from the lowest in the class in reading to the very top! Up until that point, I'd never been interested in a book enough to really read it by myself. Once I found one I could not put it down and it opened up the doors of literacy and self confidence. Either read this book, or, better yet if you have a commute and live a busy and hectic life - listen to it and be taken into another realm for a short while. And for those who take issue with this book, look at it's fruits: dialogue between parents and kids and their friends, actual reading and in some cases family time, time away from the tv and computer games, and using your imagination, to name a few...

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Jan. 12 2003
By A Customer
My Review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
By J.K Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the fourth adventure of the Harry Potter series. This story takes place mostly at Hogwarts but also at the World Cup Quidditch field.

Ron, one of Harry's best friends, invites him to go to the Quidditch World Cup. After the game, dark wizards attack the campsite where Ron's family, Harry, and Hermione are staying. Somebody shoots the dark mark into the air, but who did it? A house elf named Winky, found holding a wand right under the mark? You will have to read to find out!
Later on that year at Hogwarts, there is a tournament that involves three schools. Each school has a champion to compete but the students have to be in their sixth year. Harry's in his fourth year but somehow the goblet enters him in the tournament anyway. In order to see if he survives or wins, read this book to find out!
If you liked the other Harry Potter books, you will like this one. In my opinion, this one is better. The main characters are the same, but the adventures are more exciting. For example, there is a huge tournament with three very dangerous tasks that are fun to read about.
J. K. Rowling is a good writer because she describes the characters, the plot and the setting very well. For instance, it's easy to imagine Weasley's house small on the outside and big on the inside, five stories tall, with a ghoul in the attic.
I recommend Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to every kid that can read at a fourth grade level or above. I rate this book five out of five stars. You should go get this book right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A psychological thriller for the ages!, Oct. 31 2002
Robert Pavlacic (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (Paperback)
The first three books in the "Harry Potter" series were pure genius, and with "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" J.K. Rowling has again succeeded in writing a novel that can be enjoyed not just by kids, but also by adults like me.
In doing so, she has tapped into something at the core of society. Many have commented that a lot of people are sick and tired of the traditional science fiction novels which have almost become formulaic; and I am no exception. In that Diagon Alley and Hogwarts exist in a parallel universe, the "Harry Potter" novels are strictly speaking "science fiction;" but Ms Rowling has turned Sci-Fi on its ear.
For children, she has created a group of kids who are coming to grips with the incredible powers they possess and trying to act responsibly. For adults, she has written a genuine psychological thriller. Not only has she made us all wish we were Harry, Ron, and Hermione; but the adult characters, too, are people who are making tough choices at difficult times, choices which have ramifications for a lot of people. In light of recent fiascoes like ENRON, Xerox and Imclone, the books are also great business manuals emphasizing the importance of teamwork, fiduciary oversight and ethical practices.
Not only that, there are plenty of cultural, literary and even Biblical references. For a lot of kids, these might go over their heads. A careful adult reader, however, will easily pick up on them, and appreciate that Rowling has deliberately NOT dumbed down her books; they are written at a level most people will understand and relate to. Many children's and young adult books never appeal beyond their "recommended" age range because they follow the "Dick, Jane, Spot" formula or only appeal to one sex or the other. Not this series, not by a long shot.
"Goblet of Fire" is very long and at times extremely intense in comparison to the first three books in the series, but it serves as an excellent anchor for the forthcoming "Order of the Phoenix" which I'm eagerly anticipating.

4.0 out of 5 stars HaRry POtter and the GoBlet of FiRe, June 6 2002
By A Customer
Harry Potter goes to school with a mysterious event happening at Hogwarts, It is called a triwizard tournament. One champion from each school, the names of the schools are: BeauxBatons, Durmstag, and Hogwarts, the one person from each team have to go to do three tasks.
To enter you have to pass an age line of over fourteen years of age and put your name in the GoBlet of FiRe. Harry doesn't put his name in because he was to young, but mysteriously someone puts his name in and he becomes the fourth champion which means that ther are two champions from Hogwarts, Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter. The others are Fleur Delacour and Viktor Krwm.
The first task is to take , a golden egg from a dragon, the second task is to dive deep down into a lake to get something back that they have lost. The third task is to go through a maze with many different obsticle courses. In the maze there is a trophy, in the middle, but Harry and Cedric, the Hogwarts Champions touched it first. Someone made it into a portkey to send them away to a grave yard where Voldemort rose again needing one more ingredient to restore to full strenght: Harry Potters Blood, but wanted to prove to his servants that he was stronger than Harry and insists that he fight with him, Harry wins over Voldemort. He also wins the triwizard tournement and taks his winnings of one thousand galleons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, June 5 2002
Kaitlyn Root (Flushing, MI USA) - See all my reviews
What happens when the forces of evil meet a fourteen year old boy? This boy's name is Harry Potter. He has been attending school at Hogwarts for three years now. This year there will be some changes at Hogwarts, although no one knows what they will be.
The story starts out at the old Riddle home. The gardener, Frank, hasn't been in the house for years but decides to go into it. He hears people talking and tries to escape but, gets caught and killed. All of a sudden Harry wakes up and is breathing hard, as if he had been running, and his scar hurt worse than ever before. But soon after, he was fine. Harry goes to Ron's home for a portion of the summer and goes to the Quiddach World Cup. As everyone is walking back to the sites they are staying at, someone makes the dark mark. The mark of the Dark Lord, Voldemort. After this awful happening Mr. Weasley takes everyone back to the house to get ready to go to Hogwarts.
Once at school they find out about the Triwizard Tournament. There will also be two other schools coming to Hogwarts. The two schools will be Beauxbatons and Drumstrang. There will be one person from each school to take part in this tournament. But something unexpected happens and there will be more than just three participants. This tournament consists of three dangerous tasks, but all of them will be supervised.
The new defense against the dark arts teacher will be a retired ministry of magic worker, Mad eye moody. Hagrid, the character that everyone loves, is put into a difficult situation.
When the third task comes, one participant is hurt and one dies. But to find out what happens to these people you have to read this book that is amazing and full of mysteries with magical happenings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, June 5 2002
Kaitlyn Root (Flushing, MI USA) - See all my reviews
What happens when the forces of evil meet a 14-year-old boy? This boy's name is Harry Potter. He has been attending Hogwarts for 3 years now. This year there is going to be some changes at Hogwarts, although no one knows what it will be.
The story starts out at the old Riddle home. The gardener, Frank, hasn't been in the house for years but decides to go into it. He hears people talking and tries to escape, but is caught and killed. All of a sudden Harry wakes up and is breathing hard, as if he was running, and his scar hurt worse than ever before. But soon after, he is fine. Harry stays with Ron for a portion of the summer and goes to the Quiddatch World Cup with him. After the match everyone goes back to the sites that they are staying at. On the way back someone makes the sign of the dark lord. (the dark mark). After this awful thing happens Mr. Weasly takes everyone back home to gets them ready to go to Hogwarts.
Once at school they find out about the Triwizard tournament. There will also be two other schools coming to Hogwarts. The two schools are Beauxbatons and Drumstrang. There will be one person from every school to take part in this tournament. But something unsupected happens and it seems that there will be more than just three people participating in this tournament. It consists of three dangerous tasks, but all of them will be supervised.
The new defense against the dark arts teacher will be a retired Minstry of Magic worker, Mad Eye Moody. Something awful will happen to a person that everyone loves, Hagrid.
When the third tasks comes, something happens to two participants in this task. Someone dies while doing this task. But to find out about what happens to those people and other mysterious things that go on at Hogwarts you have to read this book that is amazing and full of mysteries. But also has magical happenings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry's Goblet of Fire, May 30 2002
Catherine M. Dorkin "willow100cm" (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This Harry Potter book was more adult and I loved it. As a 22 year old Harry lover, I am more proof that Harry spills over to all ages. The twists and turns were like none I was expecting. Just when you think that Rowling must have used up her imagination, she spoils us again with her innovation. The Tri-Wizard Tournament was so much fun. I feel like that I am learning the spells along with Harry and that one day I will be able to DO them myself. I wish there really was a Hogwart's that one could attend, even if I am a Muggle.
Mad-Eye Moody was great, and when Mad-Eye was not (really) around he was still in Character. That is, when he was being impostered. I suppose the poly-juice took on characteristics too.
And, Dobby was back!!!! Winky, too, who ended up being evil - termendously exploited by Rowling's explosive words. I love Dobby, and the things that he comes out with. I hope that Dobby will be a central character in the later books.
I've read all four books and look forward to Harry starting his fifth year, more of Dobby and Sirius. I think that him starting to take OWLS will also be an adventure in itself.
The forth book was a delight and I loved it. For all Harry lovers.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) by J.K. Rowling (Paperback - July 30 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.56