4,268 Reviews
 (3,685)

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far, the Best Book I've ever read!
Harry gets himself into yet more trouble as his name is drawn to compete against other schools of witchcraft and wizardry as a Hogwarts school Champion. He wishes he were just spectating the tournament, but someone put his name in the Goblet of Fire to get him in trouble! Strange things start happening, but Harry gets help from the new Defense Against the Arts Teacher Mad...
Published on Feb. 2 2003 by Soccergirl

3.0 out of 5 stars My least favorite of the Potter novels. The plothole killed it for me., October 17, 2007
Without a doubt my least favorite of the series. I got into Potter back when only the first three books were out, and quite some time before this book came out, and I was all psyched for it. Then I read it, all 700+ pages of it. While I found it engrossing, it certainly wasn't as good as AZKABAN.

Actually, Amazon ruined the book for me. I was online reading...
Published 19 months ago by Mike London

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful, June 18 2012
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (Paperback)
If you are a Harry Potter fan and you haven't read the books in their original British-English, you are missing out! The Raincoast editions are great; I'm building up a collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for the ages -- J.K. Rowling does it again!, July 27 2000
I just finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire last night, and was mesmerized through all 734 pages of it! My niece Gail Dornenburg, who turned me on to the Harry Potter series in August 1999, finished reading the copy of Book 4 I sent her as a gift via Amazon.com the weekend it came out -- but I've enjoyed savoring this very special book these past few weeks. I love everything from the characters to my newly-expanded vocabulary --and believe J.K. Rowling's imagination has got to be the Eighth Wonder of the World! Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Goblet runneth over. . ., July 11 2000
Eugenia Cline (Westfield, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Although usually the word "sequel" prepares you to lower your expectations, this fourth installment in the Harry Potter series packs even more excitement, quirky characters, and tightly plotted events than the previous three books. Much attention has been paid to its length (734 pages and four pounds), but it is a supremely satisfying read. You will want to savor every page. Although most of the major plot elements of this volume are resolved by the end, the author hints at some of the challenges which lie ahead for our hero, paving the way for more excitement in volume five. Film critic Roger Ebert writes that the reason the "Star Wars" series is so successful is that its creator George Lucas pays careful attention to even the minutest detail, populating even the corners of the frame with interesting characters. In much the same way, J. K. Rowling packs the Harry Potter books with so much detail that the world of witches and wizards comes alive. In "Goblet of Fire", this enchanting world is revealed in greater scope, with more of the action taking place in the wider world outside the Hogwarts School. We learn for the first time of the existence of other schools of wizardry, and we meet characters from other cultures. Although so many things about the wizarding world are different, at the same time we can really identify with the thoughts and feelings of these characters: the awkwardness of adolescence, the loneliness of an orphaned boy and the excitement of first love. Rowling has written a book to delight Harry Potter fans everywhere. My question is, how long until she produces volume 5?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good versus Evil versus Homework, July 10 2000
P A Brown (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I like the Harry Potter series and I have enjoyed reading all of them, and I think "The Goblet of Fire" is an excellent addition to the series. This is not children's literature on the level of "Alice in Wonderland," but then, what modern child could possibly read and understand this now-classic today? The nice thing about Harry Potter books is that they are full of excellent and amusing details: the quirks of the professors at Hogwarts, the array of sweets that explode or surprise, the range of good and evil in the characters...all of whom are better defined than Harry himself. The fight between good and evil (evil may come close, but we are comforted in knowing that good will eventually prevail) is exciting and helps to move the action along in between discursive bits on classwork in Potions or the History of Magic, but the books, this one especially, lack a hero. Harry Potter is more a collection of facts (scar, parents' deaths, awful family, green eyes, etc) than a real person who, put to the test and tried, triumphs for reasons of character. Harry isn't a hero, he isn't even as interesting as most of the other young wizards he knows, and certainly not as interesting as the grown-ups. "The Goblet of Fire" has a REAL hero, however: Cedric Diggory. He seems to embody all the admirable traits that Harry is credited with. I look forward to the next installment of this series, and I also look forward to the characters' growth as they grow older and as the plot thickens (as it certainly has) and they rise to meet the challenges of good and evil, everyday and extra-ordinary.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely riveting, unparalleled success, June 21 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It is quite hard to believe just how good Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is; the first three books, all of which impressed me deeply, seem almost forgettable compared to this intense fourth entry in the series. This is as rich a reading experience as you will find, no matter what your age. The storyline as it exists at the end of this mammoth epic has more of a hold on me now, as an adult, than the Star Wars saga had on me as a kid, which is saying a great deal, I assure you. One barely knows where to start one's praises of this book; yes, it does have both dark overtones and undertones to it, yet it also boasts some of the funniest moments of the series. We learn a great deal more about the major characters and turn our attention to new attractions such as the unique new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Mad-Eye Moody. Events in magical circles outside of Hogwarts increase the landscape of Rowling's magical world many times over as we are given insight into the workings of the Ministry of Magic, are treated to the best seat in the house at the Quidditch World Cup championship, and are introduced to two wholly new magical schools in foreign locations. The pattern one might have come to expect of Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts is thrown immediately out of the window; there are no school Quidditch matches this year, nor is there even an inter-house cup competition. Instead, Professor Dumbledore makes the extraordinary announcement that the Triwizard Tournament has not only been reinstituted after many years, it will take place at Hogwarts. Only sixth- and seventh-year students are eligible to compete, seeming to leave Harry Potter quite out of the mix, which is fine by him. A Goblet of Fire decides which of the volunteers from each school will compete as its Champion, but this quite impartial judge surprises everyone by selecting a certain familiar, fourth year student for the competition. What follows is a roller coaster ride of a year, with Harry enduring more trials and troubles than ever before: his friendship with Ron threatens to end forever, he faces incredibly difficult tasks that may or may not serve as a means by which someone can kill him, a thoroughly sleazy tabloid reporter makes his and his friends' lives all but unbearable on a number of occasions, and he faces perhaps his biggest challenge of all: having to ask a girl to accompany him to the Yule Ball. Oh, a certain arch enemy also rears his ugly head once again.

This is a large book, obviously; it gets off to something of a slow start, taking 171 pages just to get Harry to Hogwarts to start the new year. Have no fear, though, because the novel then sucks you in so deeply that you may be unable to get out of it, should you even want to. The length of the book quickly becomes a comfort to you, as you will not want this book to ever end. End it shall, however, with an incredibly intense final 125 pages that will leave you gasping for breath, roiling in shock, and surging with adrenaline. Anyone unable to understand why untold millions of addicted fans have been climbing the walls for three years waiting for Book 5 have simply not read this book. Events of quite drastic proportions have been set in motion now, and the end of Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts holds little resolution to it. There are dark days ahead and a significant number of plot points appear on the horizon. Harry, Hermione, and Ron are growing up, with normal teenaged issues already beginning to manifest themselves, Hogwarts is in something of a tizzy over the culminating events of the completed school year, and the whole world of magic shows every sign of being in utter disarray. The world of Harry Potter has never been more intense, exciting, and portentous as it is at the end of this unbelievably good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Emotion, July 14 2004
Daniela Veizaga (Miami Beach, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
The Goblet of Fire is the first time that Harry really deals with hard problems, and dark emotions. This is also the first time the book every brought out real emotion, such as sadness. J.K. Rowling really knows how to make each book better and better. Although this isn't my favorite of the serious, it's a very close second. There were many times in which I just bursted out into laughter, and others when i cried. Every emotion is provoked in this book. I really recommend that every one read Harry Potter, even if it to read this one book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The central pillar of the Harry Potter saga, Dec 20 2011
Omnes - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
While rereading the books ten years ago, I did some research on the popularity of the Harry Potter series around the world. I then found many translations of the books, different books covers, and many book descriptions for each volume. While looking at the french edition of the fourth Harry Potter book, I read a notice at the back that said that Goblet of Fire was the central pillar of the Harry Potter books. This statment intrigued me at first, considering that the series wasn't even completed at the time. But when I thought about it a couple of months ago, I felt that the editor was absolutely right.

For this book makes us understand many things about the world J K Rowling has revealed to us: One, that Voldemort's actions not only involve him, but instead thousands, even millions, of followers waiting for his return or hoping that someone will carry on his political torch. Two, that wizards' prejudices are deep-rooted into their culture; and that they involve not only muggles, but other magical creatures which could be important allies for both sides of the battle (Voldemort or Harry/Dumbledore's side). Three, we also get to see how a wizard's fame starts to tire him as the press and even the public only see that in him and not what he really is: a young man trying to live a life while bearing incredible responsibilities. Four, this book makes us understand how actions are more efficient than words/promises thrown in the open air.

Of course most of these aspects have been more or less present in all the books. But I felt that it is in this book that the wizard world's idyllic images start to wear off as a horrible darkness approaches in the horizon, and that it is this book that many characters' actions will have dramatic consequences in this book's ending, but in the last volumes of this incredible series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long wait!, Sept. 29 2011
Not only was there the longest wait in history for this book. I had to go to the post office to pick it up! I had give up ever getting this book, and borrowed it from the libary...
Beauceron

5.0 out of 5 stars Books for children, Sept. 7 2011
Mme Bernice Dawson (Aveyron, France) - See all my reviews
My granddaughter had started to read this book but as she had borrowed it from the library could only renew it once and did't have time to finish it. When she received it in the post she just loved it and she now has the complete set as the original copy of this book is with us in France and they live in Canada.

4.0 out of 5 stars another rowlings, July 12 2009
not much new in this the 4th book of the series, but rowlings continues with the same style as the preceding three books,meeting the readers expectations, and setting the background for the 6th book.

ARRAY(0xb049c24c)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) by J.K. Rowling (Paperback - July 30 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.01