4,275 Reviews
 (3,690)

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely riveting, unparalleled success
It is quite hard to believe just how good Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is; the first three books, all of which impressed me deeply, seem almost forgettable compared to this intense fourth entry in the series. This is as rich a reading experience as you will find, no matter what your age. The storyline as it exists at the end of this mammoth epic has more of a hold...
Published on June 21 2006 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars My least favorite of the Potter novels. The plothole killed it for me., October 17, 2007
Without a doubt my least favorite of the series. I got into Potter back when only the first three books were out, and quite some time before this book came out, and I was all psyched for it. Then I read it, all 700+ pages of it. While I found it engrossing, it certainly wasn't as good as AZKABAN.

Actually, Amazon ruined the book for me. I was online reading...
Published on Sept. 1 2012 by Mike London

5.0 out of 5 stars The Saga Changes. . ., June 18 2003
"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" is my favorite "Harry Potter" book out of the first four parts of the saga. It also is the longest of the first four parts.
Part Four begins with the chilling chapter "The Riddle House," which is not told from Harry's point of view, but from a Muggle's-- Frank Bryce. In this first chapter we find out that Voldermort, although not returned to full power, is not as helpless as he was in the "Sorcerer's Stone." He needs one thing to return to full power. He needs Harry Potter. . .
After "The Riddle House" the attention shifts back to Harry, and all that happened in the first chapter seems to have nothing to do with what's going on-- Harry is going to the Quidditch World Cup. But the subject of Voldermort is brought back into center focus when his mark is fired into the sky. . .
This book follows many storylines: The storyline of Harry being a champion in the Triwizard Tourtament, a tourtament that tests magical skills, against his will. The storyline of Rita Skeeter, the annoying reporter, and her secret. The storyline of Hagrid and his secret. But of course, the main plotline that approaches ever so slowly-- Voldermort's main attempt to get at Harry, and this time he doesn't just want to kill him. . .
In the end, Harry and everyone around him is faced with an approaching war between the light side and the dark side, and they are all, as Dumbuldore says, faced to choose between: "What is right, and what is easy." They are all faced with the challenges of trust and friendship between them all, and if they don't trust eachother, there's no way they'll survive what's to come. A war is coming, and the mysteries of the saga are coming to their peak. After you're done with this fourth installment, read "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," to find out what happens next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every positive word in the world describes this book., June 13 2003
This book was AMAZING!!! It leaves you with a bit of a cliffhanger, so you can't wait for Book 5. Speaking of which, I will leave you with a few Book 5 excerpts:
Harry's bewilderment deepened with every step he took. What on earth were they doing in a house that looked like it belonged to the darkest of the wizards?
"Mrs. Weasley, what--?"
"Ron and Hermione will explain everything dear, I've really got to dash!" Mrs. Weasley whispered distractedly.
"There!", they had reached the second landing. "You're the door on the right, I'll call you when it's over," and she hurried downstairs again.
Harry crossed the dingy landing, turned the bedroom doorknob which was shaped like a serpent's head, and opened the door. He caught a brief glimpse of a gloomy, high ceilinged, twin-bedded room; then there was a loud twittering noise, followed by an even louder shriek and his vision was completely obscured by a large quantity of very bushy hair.
Hermione had thrown herself around onto him in a hug that nearly knocked him flat, while Ron's tiny owl, Pigwidgeon zoomed excitedly round and round their heads.
"Harry! Ron! He's here! Harry's here! We didn't hear you arrive! Oh, how are you? Are you all right? Have you been furious with us? I bet you have. I know our letters were useless, but we couldn't tell you anything. Dumbledore made us swear we wouldn't. Oh, we've got so much to tell you, and you've got to tell us, the Dementors! When we heard -- and that Ministry hearing, it's just outrageous! I've looked it all up! They can't expel you! They just can't! There's provision in the Decree for the Restriction of the Underage Sorcery for the use of magic in life threatening situations.
"Let him breath, Hermione!" said Ron, grinning, closing the door behind Harry. He seemed to have grown several more inches during their month apart, making him taller and more gangly looking than ever, though the long nose, bright red hair, and freckles were the same.
This was realeased on Amazon.com

5.0 out of 5 stars J.K. Rowling Does It Again!, June 13 2003
By A Customer
Everyone who has been living on planet earth for at least five years knows who Harry Potter is. Regardless of whether or not they have read the books, Harry Potter is, to everyone, very familiar. Most of the world has been waiting eagerly for each book to arrive. The fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, is the best yet (that said, the fifth book has not been released yet).
J.K. Rowling creates marvelous characters. I was thrilled to learn more about old favorites, and equally thrilled to read about the escapades of the new characters, such as the ridiculous Ludo Bagman, the severe Mr. Crouch, the pitiable Winky, and of course the notorious Rita Skeeter. In this book, we learn more of Harry and Ron's characters, as their friendship is put to the test through the Dark Lord's conniving schemes. The foundations for several romances are laid down in this book.
This book is, like all of Ms. Rowling's previous books, marvelous. Its events scintillate across the page. When I finished the book (in one sitting...okay, I was on an airplane) I cried knowing it would be a few years before I could read another one.
This book is also scarier than the other Harry Potter books - young readers beware. However, a few possible nightmares are more than worth reading it. Enjoy this tour de force!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, May 12 2003
Paul Wiseman (Virginia) - See all my reviews
The Harry Potter books live up to the hype, which is saying something, and this is the best of the lot (so far). I have to admit I was skeptical: The Potter books have gotten steadily thicker, this one covering nearly 800 pages. Had success rendered J.K. Rowling self-indulgent, beyond the discipline of editors? Hardly. This may be the fastest 800 pages I've ever read, and I was disappointed when the story ended. As the series has continued, Rowling has found a balance between the comfortably familiar - how we always join Harry right around his birthday, tag along on the annual trek to Hogwart's, witness Peeves' shenanigans - and astounding new creations - such as the Veelas in this book and the Dementors in the previous one. It is great fun to see the characters grow up: watching Hermione mature into what will no doubt be a formidable and impressive young woman; understanding Ron's embarrassment at his cheap clothes - even while we know he should be prouder of his family than any kid at Hogwarts. For this reader, Harry's nervousness, excitement and despair over approaching Cho Chang for a date to the Yule Ball brought back very old memories indeed. I loved this book even though my kids threatened to reveal a key plot twist before I got to it. Another reason to grab the next one before they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just keeps getting better and better...., April 5 2003
K. Roth (Columbiaville, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I read the first two Harry Potter books and then got the audio cassettes for number 3 and 4. These books are great! I listen to a lot of audio books because I drive a lot and I get sick of the radio after a while. Some audio books are hard to keep paying attention to while listening. That is not the case with this particular one.
There are 12 tapes that are 1 and 1/2 hour long. I got so intrigued that I finished it within a week. I listened while driving, cooking supper and even while doing some house painting. The Goblet of Fire is delving further into the mystery of Harry and his world. I am hooked and just can't wait for the next one.
If you don't have a lot of time to read and want to discover some true talent of story telling, try these books on audio. It is a great story and the reader does an excellent job of changing his voice for different charachters and setting the scene for what is going on.
I can see why the man that read these books for audio recieved so many awards. It will keep you on the edge of your seat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rawlinga out did herself with this one., Feb. 26 2003
carol (maysville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire By J.K Rawlings is the best in the series so far. This is a book not for just the young but also for anyone who is looking for a great book to read. J.K. Rawlings has written three books before this one with the theme of the young sorcerer Harry Potter and his adventures.
The story of Harry Potter is never boring or the same things over and over again like some books that are in a series like this. There is always the link between the book with the evil Lord Voldemort and Harry's awful muggle relatives. In this book Harry competes against other sorcerers and sorceress from other witchcraft schools.
This book keeps your attention all the way until the last word. It makes you want to not put the book down and when you get to the end you are ready for the next book. The only thing that I did find that I didn't like was that some of the words were unusual and there was no definition for them. I find it great that J.K. Rawlings can keep the books fresh and exciting for the readers. She also makes the words in the book easy so that children are able to read it. If you have read even one of the Harry Potter books you should continue reading the series to get to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Storytelling with an Undeserved Rap, Feb. 11 2003
R. Cowling "src22" (Leesburg, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
I have all 4 books on tape and I've listened to all of them at least twice. First, Jim Dale is one of the best readers I have ever encountered in audio books, and I've listened to quite a few during my cross country drives. He truly gives the illusion of different people with accents and inflections that just take you into Hogwartz and into Harry's world. Now, for the book, what great story telling; good vs. evil, human nature with all it's goodness and at times faults, the dynamics of friendship, working as a team, integrity, and learning from your mistakes to name a few items that jump out. What great things for our kids! And to know, well to be almost as positive as a reader can be as apposed to the auther, that good will always triumph, the light will always illuminate the dark and dispell it - what hope and what a great message. I have a real problem with those who cast the proverbial stones at this book - usually before they have even read it. I'm a mother of four, raising my children in my faith and I can tell you that I WANT my kids to read these books - granted, I do not think that my 8 yr old is quite ready for the more frightening parts of this particular book, he and his classmates not only enjoyed the other books, they were inspired to actually read these books, or in my kids case, to listen as a family to them. It opened up talks about good vs. evil, why would one friend not trust another or hurt his/her feelings,why are there bad people, etc. In honesty, it has opened up faith dialogue. Yes, there is a great deal of what is considered "supernatural." But my children know that this is fiction and that you can not fly on brooms and the like. That's what we as parents are for, to help our kids to understand what they are reading and be there to answer their questions. I want them to use their imaginations and I want them to have their fairytales as I had them as a child. As a matter of fact, it was just such a fairytale that in the 4th grade took me from the lowest in the class in reading to the very top! Up until that point, I'd never been interested in a book enough to really read it by myself. Once I found one I could not put it down and it opened up the doors of literacy and self confidence. Either read this book, or, better yet if you have a commute and live a busy and hectic life - listen to it and be taken into another realm for a short while. And for those who take issue with this book, look at it's fruits: dialogue between parents and kids and their friends, actual reading and in some cases family time, time away from the tv and computer games, and using your imagination, to name a few...

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Jan. 12 2003
My Review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
By J.K Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the fourth adventure of the Harry Potter series. This story takes place mostly at Hogwarts but also at the World Cup Quidditch field.

Ron, one of Harry's best friends, invites him to go to the Quidditch World Cup. After the game, dark wizards attack the campsite where Ron's family, Harry, and Hermione are staying. Somebody shoots the dark mark into the air, but who did it? A house elf named Winky, found holding a wand right under the mark? You will have to read to find out!
Later on that year at Hogwarts, there is a tournament that involves three schools. Each school has a champion to compete but the students have to be in their sixth year. Harry's in his fourth year but somehow the goblet enters him in the tournament anyway. In order to see if he survives or wins, read this book to find out!
If you liked the other Harry Potter books, you will like this one. In my opinion, this one is better. The main characters are the same, but the adventures are more exciting. For example, there is a huge tournament with three very dangerous tasks that are fun to read about.
J. K. Rowling is a good writer because she describes the characters, the plot and the setting very well. For instance, it's easy to imagine Weasley's house small on the outside and big on the inside, five stories tall, with a ghoul in the attic.
I recommend Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to every kid that can read at a fourth grade level or above. I rate this book five out of five stars. You should go get this book right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A psychological thriller for the ages!, Oct. 31 2002
Robert Pavlacic (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (Paperback)
The first three books in the "Harry Potter" series were pure genius, and with "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" J.K. Rowling has again succeeded in writing a novel that can be enjoyed not just by kids, but also by adults like me.
In doing so, she has tapped into something at the core of society. Many have commented that a lot of people are sick and tired of the traditional science fiction novels which have almost become formulaic; and I am no exception. In that Diagon Alley and Hogwarts exist in a parallel universe, the "Harry Potter" novels are strictly speaking "science fiction;" but Ms Rowling has turned Sci-Fi on its ear.
For children, she has created a group of kids who are coming to grips with the incredible powers they possess and trying to act responsibly. For adults, she has written a genuine psychological thriller. Not only has she made us all wish we were Harry, Ron, and Hermione; but the adult characters, too, are people who are making tough choices at difficult times, choices which have ramifications for a lot of people. In light of recent fiascoes like ENRON, Xerox and Imclone, the books are also great business manuals emphasizing the importance of teamwork, fiduciary oversight and ethical practices.
Not only that, there are plenty of cultural, literary and even Biblical references. For a lot of kids, these might go over their heads. A careful adult reader, however, will easily pick up on them, and appreciate that Rowling has deliberately NOT dumbed down her books; they are written at a level most people will understand and relate to. Many children's and young adult books never appeal beyond their "recommended" age range because they follow the "Dick, Jane, Spot" formula or only appeal to one sex or the other. Not this series, not by a long shot.
"Goblet of Fire" is very long and at times extremely intense in comparison to the first three books in the series, but it serves as an excellent anchor for the forthcoming "Order of the Phoenix" which I'm eagerly anticipating.

4.0 out of 5 stars HaRry POtter and the GoBlet of FiRe, June 6 2002
By A Customer
Harry Potter goes to school with a mysterious event happening at Hogwarts, It is called a triwizard tournament. One champion from each school, the names of the schools are: BeauxBatons, Durmstag, and Hogwarts, the one person from each team have to go to do three tasks.
To enter you have to pass an age line of over fourteen years of age and put your name in the GoBlet of FiRe. Harry doesn't put his name in because he was to young, but mysteriously someone puts his name in and he becomes the fourth champion which means that ther are two champions from Hogwarts, Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter. The others are Fleur Delacour and Viktor Krwm.
The first task is to take , a golden egg from a dragon, the second task is to dive deep down into a lake to get something back that they have lost. The third task is to go through a maze with many different obsticle courses. In the maze there is a trophy, in the middle, but Harry and Cedric, the Hogwarts Champions touched it first. Someone made it into a portkey to send them away to a grave yard where Voldemort rose again needing one more ingredient to restore to full strenght: Harry Potters Blood, but wanted to prove to his servants that he was stronger than Harry and insists that he fight with him, Harry wins over Voldemort. He also wins the triwizard tournement and taks his winnings of one thousand galleons.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) by J.K. Rowling (Paperback - July 30 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.03