2,046 Reviews
 (1,757)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chamber of Secrets has been opened!
Published on Feb. 28 2011 by Omnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
I've read the first Harry Potter and am half-way through the second. I think that's enough to speculate that all of the Harry Potter books are basically Harry getting into a lot of trouble in order to save the day and his triumph making up for, explaining and excusing his previous unruliness. I cant help but feel that the second book is the first book being told over with...
Published on Feb. 18 2002 by K. McCarthy

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty bad writing, great plot though, Dec 18 2014
Cover:
I do like this cover, even though I find the flying car slightly weird.

Writing:
(1/5) I think this book's plot and content was sound, but it was ruined by the writing. I'm guessing, like the movie, it was supposed to be mysterious and full of suspense, but the writing was horrible and really didn't covey that. Where it was supposed to come off as creepy, I only felt it was laughable. There were so many pivotal moments and revelations ruined because of the poor writing. I think the movie did it way better, probably because it didn't have the poor writing. The second Harry Potter movie is probably my favourite out of all the movies.

Setting:
(5/5) Man I love Hogwarts. We learned a lot of new interesting ideas and stuff about the wizarding world like duelling. I also really loved the parselmouth and diary ideas. I know the book wasn't that great because of the writing, but the movie version was great. I don't why people underrate it so much.

Plot:
(5/5) I think this book's plot was actually better than the first book. For the first time in this series, I felt Harry actually had something at stake here. He was snooping and getting to the bottom of things because doing so actually meant something to him. Hogwarts was at stake and it was his home more than the Dursleys ever were. Next to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I felt this one had one of the best plots of the series. Too bad the bad writing was such a heavy blow though.

Main Character:
(1.5/5) Like I said above, I really like the parselmouth idea and that Harry had something personally at stake here. But Harry is still as flat and personality-less as ever.

Villain:
(5/5) Really liked the villain with this one, might be my favourite. Which is a shame with what happened to him later on, if you know what I mean. He became such a laughable and poor excuse of a character.

I actually wished at some point that the villain for the series was a recent graduate of Hogwarts, making the series truly about Hogwarts. The last three books were centered around Voldemort being the villain, which is why they fell flat. What do you expect though, when you center books around such a piece of cardboard of a character? You know, J.K. Rowling developed Harry Potter into such a wonderful series. I really wish though, that she took the time to develop what this series was actually about - Harry and Voldemort. Let's not kid ourselves, these two are flat-tastic characters and frankly I've seen better heroes and villains.

Other Characters: (4.5/5)
Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger: These two are fine in this book. I didn't mind them, though I suspect part of the reason is because Hermione was out of commission.

Dumbledore: Aah Dumbledore, I love Dumbledore. He's really the heart and conscience of this series.

Hagrid: I love Hagrid! Such a sweet character! I think he's underrated and if you look at each of the books, he actually plays an extremely important part. He probably plays the most importance in this one. Surprising, because this was supposed to be a mysterious and suspenseful sort of book. A huge reason I love the movie version of Chamber of Secrets is because of the ending that was given to Hagrid. I tear up after every time I watch that. I miss Chris Columbus, he was such a great director that really appreciated this series.

Severus Snape: Snape's barely in it, but awesome as usual.

Dobby: Ah, Dobby. I hate Dobby. He's such an annoying character. I feel he never really stops being a slave. He just finds someone new to serve.

Gilderoy Lockhart: I admit Lockhart was funny, but he's such a forgettable character. I always forget that he was a Harry Potter character.

Overall:
(22/30) I don't really blame people for not liking this book, the writing was really bad. I actually recommend the movie version instead, it was probably the best movie of the franchise. Despite that, I really feel that Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets had a really good plot, probably the best next to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, if not even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chamber of Secrets has been opened!, Feb. 28 2011
Omnes - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Though my favorite volumes in the Harry Potter series are the first, the fourth, the fifth and the seventh, I have to say that this one is very special to me. For the simple reason that this second year of Harry's studies at Hogwarts presents events from the past, events that reveal secrets about characters we know like Hagrid the gamekeeper, others like the amazing Dobby, and an incident that was the start of several incidents around the wizard world. Not only that, we find in this book events and characters, along with small incidents that take place around the school, that will definitely take an influence in the upcoming books.

For when Harry Potter is warned that he must not return to Hogwarts and becomes accused of several incidents around Hogwarts, and a certain Chamber of Secrets, he has to find, with Ron and Hermione, the culprit before it is too late.

As a final note, those that are very careful can find out in a single chapter the year that the story is taking place and set that series around the 1990s and not the 21st century, like I heard some people say when discussing the series with other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Year Brings New Troubles for Harry, May 19 2004
Brigid McIntyre (Wilmington, DE USA) - See all my reviews
The book begins with Harry back at Privet Drive with his horrible aunt, uncle, and cousin. Then on the night of his uncle's big meeting with a new customer for his drill company, a strange looking creature visits Harry in his bed room and warns him of awful things that will happen at Hogwarts in the up-coming year. This creature is the house elf Dobby. Dobby causes trouble for Harry so life at Privet drive worsens. Then Harry's best friend, Ron, and his two older twin brothers, Fred and George, fly their father's bewitched car to rescue Harry from the Dursleys. During the year at Hogwarts, a number of students become petrified by a creature that is loose in the school. The rumors of the Chamber of Secrets begin to spread throughout the school and it is believed to be opened once again. Many people believe that it is Harry who is the heir of Slytherin, which means that he would be the person responsible for the students, ghost, and cat that were petrified. To find out who the real heir of Slytherin and opener of the Chamber of Secrets you'll have to read the book for yourself!
This book was exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat. It was impossible to put down and I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy, thrills, and a little bit of mystery all in one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry's second year, May 16 2004
Ida Hyvarinen (Florida, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Summer didn't start out too good for Harry Potter. The Dursleys' were just as terrible as before. All Harry wanted to do is go back to Hogwarts the School of Witch Craft and Wizardry. He gets a warning from a elf named Dobby, to not return to Hogwarts or terrible things will happen.
The elf was right. During Harry's second year at Hogwarts, new terrors occur. He is left to deal with a self-centered proffesor names Gilderoy Lockheart. He has to try to pass his classes while in between new potions turning one of his best friends, Hermione, to cat, Ron's little sister Ginny who is head over heals about Harry, and Moaning Myrtle in the girls bathroom.
These turn out to be the least of his worries, when the myth of the Chamber of Secrets returns to haunt everyone, leaving students petrified. Someone had to reopen the chamber, but noone knows who. Could the person be Hagrid, who was accused of doing the same deed in the past? Could Draco Malfoy be doing it, who seems to be joyous about the tragedy. Or could it be Harry Potter himself, who is believed to do so by all the students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wizard Madness, Feb. 13 2004
By A Customer
Wizard Madness
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets J. K.Rolling
Harry lives with his smelly old Aunt and Uncle. His cousin, Duldy thinks he is weird because he has a weird scar and is a wizard. Harry was sent to Hogwarts, a school of witch craft and wizardry. But now he is back at number 4, Private Drive with them. He hasn't heard from his friends, Ron or Hermonie and is very board. One day, a house elf, Dobby appears on Harry's bed. He says that Harry should not go to back to Hogwarts. He says if he does, he will be in mortal danger. Harry decides to go to hogwarts because he is so board.
When Ron comes to rescue Harry, he is driving a Ford Angula. He hooks a hook to the bars on his window to pull them off. When Ron pulls them off, Harry's uncle wakes up. He tries to keep Harry from leaving. He grabbs Harry and pulls on his shirt to keep him from leaving. The car is to strong. Harry gets free of the dreadful house. Harry and Ron go to Ron's house, The Burrow. Harry and Ron get to Diagon Ally by using floo powder. Harry ends up going to Knocktern Ally. Then, Hagrid shows up and takes Harry to Diagon Ally.
They go to Gringods Bank to get Harry some money. Then they meet up with Mrs. Weasly and Ron. Then they go to Hogwarts. After they meet up with Hermonie, they go to the commen room. After 5 classes, Harry goes into the Chamer of Secrets. He finds a Stalfos, a monster spiders fear above all creatures. Harry gets poisoned by the Stalfos and Dumbeldore's bird hells him.
As you can see, Harry had a interesting year again. I give this book a 10 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets a review by Koley, Dec 30 2003
By A Customer
Do you like mystery, adventure, and action? Then feast your eyes on Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling .The protagonist is a boy named Harry Potter who lives with his foster parents, the Dursleyï¿s. They are very mean to him and donï¿t care much about him. This book is packed with chills and thrills. This is Harryï¿s second year in Hogwarts. But he is admonished not to go because something terrible is going to happen. But like always, Harry is so undaunted he goes.
When Harry and his friend Ron got to the train station an invisible wall blocked the entrance. Each time they tried to get through they were knocked down.
So Harry and Ron stole their parentï¿s car and flew to Hogwarts. When they arrived, their potions teacher, Snape, punished them. Harry and Ron were almost expelled because some people or ï¿mugglesï¿ saw the flying car. Later in the book Harry and his friends walking down the hallway and they saw a dead cat on the wall. On the wall it said the Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Children were then found frozen solid in the hallways or petrified.
What could be doing this and why? Is the Chamber of Secrets really open? If you want to find out anymore the go read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our choices, not our abilities, show what we truly are, June 20 2003
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There is no sophomore slump in the J.K. Rowling household or in Harry Potter's universe, as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets somehow takes the magic and excitement of the first book to even higher levels of enjoyment. The characterization of the main characters is greatly enriched, while new, important characters come on the scene in grand style. After getting another bitter taste of Harry's life with the Dursleys, watching him become a prisoner in every sense of the word in the aftermath of the strange half-elf Dobby's noble yet highly frustrating attempts to protect him, we get a high treat indeed in being allowed a few days' stay in the home of the Weasleys. I must admit that I rather dote on young Ginny Weasley, whose obvious crush on Harry Potter works a magic (one which even we Muggles know and understand) all its own upon her. I can appreciate Gilderoy Lockhart's place in this novel, but the humor he sometimes provides with his egomaniacal self-love is as pathetic and frustrating to me as it is to Ron and Harry; I can't for the life of me see what Hermione's fascination with the man is, particularly after sitting through a few of his Defenses Against the Dark Arts classes. Then there is Lucius Malfoy, another sinister character for us to love to hate; compared to his father, young Draco Malfoy is a choir boy.
Some of the early action, particularly the whole flying car business, probably appeals to young readers more than it does to me, but things get very interesting very quickly as soon as the boys arrive at Hogwarts. There is sinister business at the school during Harry's second year, a crisis that leaves several students literally petrified, threatens the positions of even Hagrid and Dumbledore, and puts the very future of Hogwarts in great jeopardy. It all leads up to an ending that seems to stretch the limits of credulity in a couple of places yet succeeds much more impressively than the denouement of the first novel. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets takes everything I loved about the first book, multiplies it several times, expands the entire world in which Harry lives, throws in several juicy new sub-plots and immensely interesting new characters, and establishes Harry Potter as a bona fide phenomenon with the unlimited potential to thrill young and old readers alike for years and years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Saga Continues. . ., June 17 2003
"Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" is the continuation of the saga that began in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," and is another smash hit. Harry is easy to relate to, bullied and wishing he was somebody-- which he is, but only in the wizarding world.
The book is darker than the first, probably because in the first book only Harry, Ron, and Hermione knew about the danger surronding the Stone. In this book, everyone knows about the danger surrounding the Chamber of Secrets, so the whole mood of the book is darker and gloomier.
Harry is suspected by the students (no big surprise, he's famous,) and Harry, even though he knows he's innocent, begins to question himself and his place in life. In this way, everyone will relate more to Harry than in the first book. Again, the mystery is well-done, with many small details that didn't seem important at first glance becoming important in the end. Questions from the first book are answered, such as why Hagrid was expelled from Hogwarts in his third year, and the mystery of why the curse of death rebounded on Voldermort after he couldn't kill Harry because of his mother's mark of dying love, is raised again, though not answered-- it is probably the main part of the saga.
Need I mention the continuing morals? The difference between your choices and what you are capable of acheiving or destroying is the main part of this novel, and it doesn't disappoint. Bigotry is given a condemning blast in this book and is put where it belongs.
I hope you enjoy the second part of the Harry Potter saga for what it is-- a wonderful fantasy book. But once you finish do not fear, for the saga is not over. It continues in "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, April 29 2003
Tyler Echaniz (Ravensdale Washington) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
The book I read is called Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. The author is J.K. Rowling. The genre is fantasy, and mystery. The main characters are Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermonie Granger, Dumbledore, Malfoy, Hagrid, and Dobby. It takes place in England, and it's about modern time. The problem is that a monster is coming from a hidden chamber and is trying to kill young wizards that are learning magic. The rising action is when the monster takes a girl down to the chamber, and the school has to be closed. Harry Potter thinks he can save the girl. Harry Potter is the main character, and his role is to try and save the girl. Ron Weasley is Harry's best friend and he goes with Harry to save the girl. Hermonie is Harrys other friend and she is attacked by the beast. Dumbledore is the Headmaster. Malfoy is Harrys enemy and Harry thinks that Malfoy is ordering the beast to attack students. Hagrid is the grounds keeper and is like a father to Harry. He is suspected of being behind the attacks. Dobby is a elf, and he warns Harry not to go to school. After Heromine is attacked Harry and Ron are motivated to stop the attacker. There are many strong points in the book. The author is good at describing what is happening, especially at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, March 13 2003
Jennifer Yang (Cerritos, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
By: J. K. Rowling
Reveiwed by: J. Yang
Period: P.4
Harry Potter is the main character. He first lives with the horrible Dursleys. Then Harry Potter escapes to go to Hogwarts, a school of witchcraft and wizardry. In this book, Harry Potter goes to Hogwarts for his third year. Harry Potter goes through lots of horror and happiness at Hogwarts. At the end, he goes home safely.
I like reading this book. I liked the book, because it makes me feel that i'm a Hogwarts student, too. I imagine myself following Harry and his friends(Ron and Hermione)to a place. "Harry reached the door at the top of the stairs, slipped through it, and found himself behind the counter of Honeydukes-he ducked, crept sideways, and then straightened up." Honeydukes was a place Harry couldn't go. So I imagined myself going in there and eating all those candies.
Another thing I like about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the action. There is lots of magic in this book. "A giant spider, six feet tall and covered with hair, was advancing on Ron, clicking its pincers menacingly. For a moment, Harry thought Ron had frozen. Then-"Ridikulus!" bellowed Ron, and the spider's legs vanished." I like it when lots of action goes on in this book. It makes me want to do some magic!
My favorite part of the book is when Professor Lupin taught the students what the boggart can do. A boggart is a shape-shifter. It can turn in to whatever that can scare someone. Professor Lupin let the students do the magic, and I got to see who is scared of what. Harry never got the chance to do it. That's because he was afraid of dementors. Dementors are evil demons who can really haunt people!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) [Adult Edition]
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) [Adult Edition] by J. K. Rowling (Mass Market Paperback - July 8 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.08