1,078 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio even better than the print edition!!!!!
Published on July 13 2003 by Kevin Coady

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as I had hoped
Published on June 21 2003 by Aaron Boatwright

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio even better than the print edition!!!!!, July 13 2003
Kevin Coady (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Jim Dale does an amazing job bringing Rowling's characters to life!! He gives each charater his or her own voice and personality. I know that I would not appreciate the Potter books half as much if I read them in the print edition. For example, I found myself laughing out loud when Dale described Loona Lovegood on the Hogworts Express-- I know that I probably would have just breezed right through this part in the print edition without much thought.
The story itself is awesome-- each book has become more "adult" and is much better than the last. I can't wait for the next installment!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as I had hoped, June 21 2003
Aaron Boatwright (Duluth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
After a long, highly anticipted wait for the fifth installment in the Harry Potter Series, I finally laid hands on my copy at just past midnight last night. I promptly began to read, and I have to say....I am somewhat disappointed in it. Though I believe J K Rowling to be an excellent writer in general, I found the fifth book not nearly as engrossing as the last three. In fact, throughout the entire first half I was left wondering, "when is something going to HAPPEN?!". I found Harry to be more irritating than anything else, what with his constant outbursts, lack of judgement, and incessant whining. Hermione seems to be the only character that is maturing at all. The plot was not as well developed as I thought it could have been (c'mon, there are like nine hundred pages here!), and frankly the resolution (if you can call it that) took an absurdly long time to arrive. [...] Don't get me wrong, it was nice to hear what Harry has been up to, and I genuinely adore this series as a whole. I just felt that JK Rowling's talent is seriously under-utilized here. There is a persistent lack of focus, a rambling, largely unexciting plot, and for the most part the characters become lost in the jumble. This could've been better!! I rate it 3 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Jan. 10 2014
Just like the rest of the harry potter series this book is amazing, nothing is left to the imagination Rowling has a way with words. READ NOW~!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Dec 3 2013
I have read the full collection of Harry Potter books, and I love them all! This series of books is well written, and allows you to escape to another world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Order of the Phoenix, Feb. 25 2013
Great book, great series. The Book was a little more worn then described but overall I am happy with it

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst of the Series By Far, July 24 2005
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) (Paperback)
OotP was definitely a dissapointment compared to the rest of this wonderful series. Although it began to piece together some of the many questions the previous books introduced, the many chapters it took to get to those answers was a little painful. Harry's new teenage attitude is hard to deal with, the romance is fairly shallow, Hagrid is dumber than he usually is, and the new teacher at Hogwarts is more annoying than anything. Do read it to fill in the blank pieces of information regarding Harry, but chances are you won't find it as enjoyable as the other books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rowling was straining..., June 22 2003
Eric Hines "Window" (Everyman Town) - See all my reviews
And it shows. The pacing at points is very good, but too often there are long boring stretches; I don't mean the expositions of the previous books, either; I mean info-dumps that are not as well structured, and therefore, less enteraining. Harry has become quite whiny, even a little manic depressive, as puberty begins to take hold. This can deepen his character, but it is also bound to annoy. Much of Harry's charm has always been his easy-going attitude. The lessening of that aspect will no doubt bother some, as it bothered me, because Harry was slightly less sympathetic, and maybe a bit asympathetic.
The smoothness of the previous books has also diminished somewhat; you can almost hear Rowling's labored breathing as struggled trying to add suspense to the scene when the big lummox gets whacked.
The dialogue is often very stilted, and this was alarming to me. You'll notice it too, particuarly when Hermione is speaking. I hope Rowling didn't think she was writing a film script.
Maybe the biggest problem is the lack of focus. The story goes off on several tangents, as usual, but unlike in the past, the "side-quests" as it were, are not integral to the story. This accounts for the bloated page-count. There was a lot of extraneous stuff going on.
Maybe the most interesting thing is the new role of the house elves and how they will affect the fight with ole Voldie.
Overall, OotP just isn't smooth. The thing about the series is that the writing has been so clean, so unfettered, that the reader became entire immersed. Now, too must of the story is throwaway tripe, stuff that should have been edited out or saved for the next book; God knows Rowling will need some ideas. There is some new stuff, but none of it is terribly interesting, barely enough to justify forcing 900-odd pages on readers. The only reason you should read this is if you've read the others books or plan to. In fact, if you even plan to read the others, don't even pick up this book. Don't even read the jacket. You'll be turned off from the series. This is easily the weakest book, style and content-wise. That shouldn't be surprising. Rowling did show signs of weakness when she repeatedly delayed the release date. The desperation shows in this book all too clearly. I only hope she can recover.

5.0 out of 5 stars The fifth book gets quite serious with unexpected turns that shake up the reader, March 28 2014
Harry is terribly upset with everyone – his godfather Sirius, Professor Dumbledore and especially his best friends Ron and Hermione. No one seems to be interested in getting in touch with him.

The fifth book is darker yet. It begins with Harry and his cousin Dudley coming across a couple of dementors very close to home. Harry just manages to save Dudley from having his soul sucked out. Harry’s uncle is terribly angry – not that he is able to do anything about it. That’s also when Harry finds out that Mundungus Fletcher has been keeping an eye on him on Dumbledore’s instructions.

Harry performs the patronus charm to drive away the dementors and the ministry of magic sends him a letter by owl post insisting that he would be expelled from Hogwarts for performing underage magic outside the school. After a while, he receives another owl post where Harry is ordered to present himself for a hearing at the ministry of magic.

A group of friendly wizards including Mad-eyed Moody, Lupin and Tonks come to Privet Drive and take Harry with them to No. 12 Grimmauld Place, which is the headquarters for the Order of Phoenix.

The Order of Phoenix is a group of wizards who have volunteered to work underground to overthrow Lord Voldemort.

Sirius Black is also a part of the order and so is Professor Snape, much to Harry’s shock. While he does not trust Snape, it looks like Dumbledore thinks differently.

There is the hearing at the ministry and then Harry receives instructions from Dumbledore to learn Occlumency from Professor Snape. All in all, Harry begins to hate life at school. Lord Voldemort seems to have a strong connection with Harry and the latter is able to read you-know-who’s thoughts and feel his emotions. While Dumbledore insists that this has to stop, Harry is not too keen.

The result of Harry’s refusal to learn Occlumency leads him into a load of trouble.

Professor Umbridge is assigned the post of defense against the dark arts teacher by the ministry of magic. It appears that she is actually there to spy on Dumbledore and his school. I do not want to say too much about this lady as you might rather want to read about her.

There’s mayhem as Umbridge refuses to let anyone learn defense against the dark arts practically. That’s when Hermione comes up with the idea of Harry teaching DADA to anyone who is interested. Dumbledore’s Army is formed.

Unable to learn Occlumency, Harry is lured into the department of mysteries at the ministry of magic and that’s where he comes face to face with the evil Voldemort’ followers, the death eaters.

While the earlier four Harry Potter Books were more fun, this one gets quite serious with unexpected turns that shake up the reader. While Voldemort has been planning a comeback since Book 1, this book makes it obvious that he is back and right there at the ministry.

The scene on the magical brethren at the ministry of magic; the many rooms and the mysteries they hide at the department of mysteries; Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny and Luna travelling by thestrals (magical flying horses that can be seen only by those who have seen death); the room of requirement becoming the meeting place for Dumbledore’s Army are some of the amazing highlights of this book.

Do not miss this one. I would advise everyone to read the books in the order they were published. If you like magic, then the Harry Potter books are a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good condition and a good book, Dec 31 2013
I am filling our my Harry Potter collection and glad to add in #5. The book came in good condition and withing the estimated time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read, April 4 2013
K. Sheppard - See all my reviews
I loved the Potter series. It is worth reading even if you have seen the movies. It gives you more insight into the charaters and also includes thoughts, ideas and extras that were not in the movies.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) by J. K. Rowling (Paperback - Aug. 10 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.84