4.0 out of 5 stars A great end (very minor spoilers)
Published on July 21 2007 by KC

1.0 out of 5 stars Stolen!
The book has clear;y been stolen from the Toronto Public Library! I have requested that it be replaced but no response yet,
Published 17 months ago by Sarah J. Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars A great end (very minor spoilers), July 21 2007
A great end, but perhaps not the best book of the series. It has great action throughout, but is missing the whimsical-ness (not a word, but go with me here...) of the rest of the books. As a result, I got a bit bogged down in the middle, where Harry, Ron and Hermionie are travelling from place to place. Some ugly, and uncomfortably true emotions surface in characters that seemed previously unfalliable. There is something very adult in this book; the desperate fight against Voldemort's forces and the sense of isolation in Harry continues to grow. But the magical Rowling touch is there. Mysteries and side plots combine to create a brilliant climax at the end. It was the epilouge that I thought to be a bit anti-climatic (a bit tried I thought). On the plus side (and there are many!) the book definately leaves you with something to think about, and is a most worthy end to a wonderful series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, intriguing journey!, July 22 2007
Laura Duhan Kaplan (Vancouver BC) - See all my reviews
GREAT book! For people 10 and older.

Very fast paced. The main characters move from narrow escape to narrow escape. They must be exhausted!

All of the many locations in the book come alive and readers can enjoy a fantastic journey through places both new and familiar.

The plot relies on enough familiar magical concepts that adventures don't seem to be contrived, and adds just enough new magical trends to keep us curious.

Every important character gets to show their best and bravest side. Only a very few turn out to be irredeemably evil.

Much that is mysterious in the stories of Dumbledore and Snape is explained.

The sad and scary parts are balanced with plenty of humorous, ludicrous, laugh-out-loud details.

The overall ending is the only satisfying one that is possible given the series and its audience. Thank goodness!

Criticisms? Given all the deaths and heroic acts, I should have cried a lot more. But the author's emphasis is on plot rather than emotion. And we didn't get enough of Ginny.

5.0 out of 5 stars The mass of Harry Potter fans will not be disappointed by the grand finale, July 22 2007
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It is safe to say that no other book in the history of publishing has been more eager awaited than "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." First novels are not going to have massive expectations and sequels like "Hannibal" might be eagerly awaited but you are not going to have over ten million people around the world all reading a book about Hannibal Lecter the first day it is published, let alone showing up to get their hands on it at the stroke of midnight. The pressure for J.K. Rowling to deliver under such circumstances was enormous and I have to believe that most of those readers who finished the book the day they got it are going to be happy with the way things played out.

I was out of town when I read this book and my biggest regret is that I did not re-read the last five chapters of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," because beyond Dumbledore's death I really did not remember anything specific and my bad memory was a minor distraction. Consequently, if you have not yet started Book 7, a quick refresher would help. But then I never paid attention to the speculation as to what would happen in the final book, being perfectly willing to let Rowling play out her grand design. I paid attention to speculation about the end of the original "Star Wars" trilogy and was convinced Boba Fett was the "other" spoken of by Yoda, so I felt no real need to be equally wrong this time. I read "The Lord of the Rings" and a lot of comic books so I naturally took Dumbledore's death with a grain of salt, and my only suspicion was that whatever would be required in the end for good to triumph over evil could well be someone's life.

The key thing going into the final book is that if Dumbledore can die, then anybody could end up a corpse. That being said, it was interesting to have Rowlgin's implicit assessment as to who constitutes a major character and who does not, because having heard that at least two major characters were going to die I was not even halfway through the book when I was thinking she had already met the quota. There are a couple dozen deaths in this book and there is a sense that they become a bit numbing. However, that is part of the endgame because each death cries out for the final victory. One of the strengths of this series is that these kids grow up, which means the situation became progressively mature (and so did the language), and that the characters become more shades of grey than black and white with each volume.

As for Severus Snape, it might be my age showing, but when Dumbledore said he trusted Snape completely I have accepted that as absolute gospel, perfectly aware that the keystone in that belief would not be made perfectly clear until the final book (my youngest daughter refuses to entertain such thoughts). Except for the inevitable final showdown between Harry and Voldermort, my biggest question was why Dumbledore absolutely trusted Snape (more so than who ends up with who or what happens to Hogwarts). I think the biggest success in the book is the payoff to the Snape element in the series. I will say that having finished the series they needed to show more of Snape's worst memory in the movie version of "Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix" (I know Rowling told the producers to put Kreacher back in when he was omitted from the script, and I wonder if originally the scene was longer because it clearly misses a key element).

I can appreciate that the more you are into the magical world of Harry Potter the more predictable the outcome might be, but that is an indication of how Rowling has constructed her narrative. Unlike the most recent volumes this final one is finally freed from having to set things up because now is the time to play everything out. Certainly things are explained, but I see that more as connecting the dots for the readers than adding new information. Personally, I am satisfied by the way things played out in this book and not once did I find myself being disappointed by how things played out. Yes, I was saddened by several things that happened, but also moved by many of the little moments that Rowling worked in this book. The one that stands out for me, for reasons that I cannot really articulate, is when Harry comes up with his explanation for why Dumbledore left a particular object in his will to Ron. I think Harry's explanation speaks to Rowling's relationship with her readers as well now that we have come to the end of all things.

5.0 out of 5 stars JKR at her splendid best!!, July 24 2007
Amazon Customer (Belleville, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
It was a privilege to read the conclusion of J.K.Rowling's wondrous 7 book epic. Masterfully conjured, it surpassed my desire for a fitting close to a series whose reach, surely, will never be parallelled throughout literary fictional history. With gratitude and a sense of melancholy, I heartily recommend Deathly Hallows and it's sister volumes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected but still great (possible spoilers), July 23 2007
Canadian Girl "CG" (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Wow, where to begin? After so many years of waiting with baited breath, it's finally done. I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible but forgive me if I slip up.

The good:
- The details about Snape and Dumbledore's past. JKR does a lot here to clear up the mystery of why Dumbledore always trusted Snape along with explaining Dumbledore's (until now) mysterious early life.

- The battles, especially the final one at Hogwarts. JKR infused them with lots of energy and tension, you could almost feel like you were there alongside the students.

- The resolution to the Harry vs Voldemort question. I know a lot of people perhaps feel slightly cheated here, they expected something more dramatic, end-of-the-worldish, but I liked how this battle ended up.

- There was a lot of humour in the book, more than I expected. A few times I actually laughed out loud. Also, some parts were really touching, especially when we learn about Snape's past and his lost love.

The Bad:

- The introduction of the Hallows felt rushed and confusing. It's like all of a sudden they decide to refocus on the Hallows instead of the Horcruxes and the transition didn't quite work.

- A lot of the deaths that were so trumpeted lacked any emotional impact at all. In fact, only one death really got to me, the rest just made me shrug my shoulders. Based on how JKR was talking before the book came out, I expected a lot more.

- The epilogue felt tacked on and a little too saccharine for me. I could have done without it, the book was good enough as it was.

- Some of the middle chapters tended to drag. A lot of Harry/Ron/Hermione popping from one place to another in search of various objects...one chapter of that is fine, four or five can be a bit much!

All in all, though, I think Deathly Hallows was a great final book. It answered 99% of the questions that I had floating about in my mind and was (for the most part) fast past and interesting to read. I don't think that many fans will be disappointed, I really wasn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horcruxes and Hallows (or, What you don't know CAN hurt you), July 27 2007
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This final book of the Harry Potter series can be compared to a large-scale game of magical snakes and ladders, or rather, snakes and portkeys, with a huge numbers of players moving around the board, magically or otherwise. However, in this game, not only can players get eaten by a snake, but they also face deadly obstacles, and some players actually die. Indeed, this is the bloodiest Potter of the series starting from the opening chapters, and the body count is way up there. The crux of the matter is, of course, who will reach the last square alive?

The book may look huge, but J.K. Rowling quickly zaps the reader with an Imperius Curse, and you will find it impossible to disobey her order not to put it down. There is so much action and so many revelations as the author ties up the loose ends, that you may have to retrace your steps ever so often to make sure you haven't missed a thing.

The main plot centers around Harry turning seventeen, at which time the Dursley's home will become even more dangerous to a young wizard than before. Assisted by the Order of the Phoenix, he narrowly escapes once again, and teams up with Ron and Hermione to do the bidding of their revered headmaster.

As we learned in the last book, there are bits of evil, black soul hidden in certain special places as a back up immortality system for Voldemort, and a large part of the book deals with rounding them up and the almost impossible task of destroying the darned things.

The horcrux destruction rate started to mount
The Dark Lord was livid and started to count
He scratched off the diary, crossed off the ring
What HE didn't know was he'd missed out one thing

To complicate matters, a mysterious symbol keeps popping up, leading to a heck of a history lesson, and a reunion with old friends.

A symbol supposed to be Grindelwald's sign
A circle, triangle, and also a line
The Hallows were more than a fictional tale
And featured high up on the magical scale

If you've been faithfully following the series, you will be very pleased to learn that many of the characters from the other books are assembled for this, the grand finale, and that this last book is truly the best of them all.

I can't wait for this one to come to the screen
Especially that super-sized big battle scene
Forget movie six, let's just cut to the end
Three cheers for the series that JK has penned!!!

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Going away with style..., July 21 2007
M. B. Alcat "Curiosity killed the cat, but sa... (Hanoi, Vietnam) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Yesterday was July 20, 2007, a special day for all "pottermaniacs". It was once more time to wait anxiously for a new Harry Potter book. Only this was nothing less than the last book in the series. It is easy to understand that I was eager to read it, happy but feeling somewhat bereaved at the same time.

In this occasion I didn't have to wait until midnight to pick up my copy of "Harry Potter and the deathly hallows", as 8 pm in Buenos Aires (Argentina), is exactly 12 pm in London. Strangely enough, local bookstores just realized that in time for the release of Harry Potter 7, when all the pottermaniacs had to wait until after 12 pm (local hour in Argentina) for the release of previous books. But I'm digressing :)

What do I think about the new book? I believe that it is a great ending to the series, even though some of the new developments were troubling.I would like to say that I like the way in which the characters grew, and specially how Harry and his friends behaved when faced with extremely difficult choices. I don't want to tell you about what happens, because it will spoil the surprise. Just know that it is worth reading...

From my point of view, "Harry Potter and the deathly hallows" is a dark but great addition to the previous books in the "Harry Potter" series, and it brings a measure of closure to the story we started so long ago. I don't want this series to end, but if that has to happen, it is a good thing that this book allows Harry to go away with style. Highly recommended!

Belen Alcat

PS: Staying up all night in order to read this book was worth it. Now it is time to sleep...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, June 18 2014
This is a great book, and for the price, a wonderful deal! It got here two days after being ordered, and looks gorgeous. I can't wait to get to rereading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 12 2014
I have been a big Harry Potter fan since it's beginning and this book was no different then the rest of the series. I went from happy to sadness, to being angry, despaired. J.K Rowling did a great job as always keeping us on our toes

5.0 out of 5 stars JK Rowling has woven an incredible tale that makes one begging for more, March 27 2014
To begin with, I feel extremely sad that the Harry Potter saga has finally ended. But of course, it’s a good thing that it also means the end of Lord Voldemort.

Hah! What a story! JK Rowling, you are the best!

These words uttered by Dumbledore resonated deep within me: "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

I had to read Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows three times before I understood the book properly. It really made me wonder about the kind of research that must have gone into it before the author could come up with this book. Simply amazing! What a tale she weaves!

Harry and his friends Ron and Hermione are quite lost without Dumbledore to guide them. They have decided not to go back to Hogwarts for their seventh year but to seek the horcruxes and destroy them ultimately making the destruction of Lord Voldemort possible.

Hermione has wiped out the memories from her parents and made them move to Australia so that they are not targeted by Voldemort’s minions. In the meanwhile, the ghoul at the Weasleys’ home has been transformed to resemble Ron and is supposed to suffer from a contagious disease. Better still, Hermione has had a small handbag bewitched to hold everything they would need if they had to stay in hiding for a long period – books, clothes, tent, polyjuice potion, essence of dittany and loads more.

They escape from right under the nose of the death-eaters at Bill & Fleur’s wedding and find refuge at No. 12, Grimmauld Place. Soon, Kreacher, the house-elf, turns quite loyal to his new master, Harry. The three of them have a secure home to live in with three square meals cooked by a loving Kreacher as they make plans to find the horcruxes.

But they are forced to go on the run when the death-eaters find their hideout. Things turn horrible when Ron gets frustrated as things are moving too slowly for his liking. He just ups and leaves.

The story takes a number of twists and turns with the highlights being the trio’s visit to the Ministry of Magic where they help a number of witches and wizards escape; breaking into Gringotts with the help of Griphook, the goblin; flying away on a dragon, escaping Nagini; and getting away from Voldemort and his henchmen at the nick of the moment – not once, but many times.

Finally, they land up at Hogwarts and the war begins. Who will survive? Lord Voldemort or Harry Potter? Of course, we would all just love it if things happened quite smoothly and Tom Riddle died. But is it possible for things to happen that easily?

No, Harry has to die to ensure that his enemy dies too. Isn’t that a shocker? Well, that’s what the seventh book is all about.

Then there is Severus Snape. Is he what he appears to be? Does he belong to Voldemort or is he Dumbledore’s man through and through? JK Rowling has woven an incredible tale that makes one begging for more.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition] by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - July 21 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 7.35