5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected
I had heard publisher and reviewer comments. The content is prose, but I think of it more as poetry. I plan to try reading it aloud - I believe it will sound great.
Published on Dec 31 2010 by Glen

2.0 out of 5 stars Little more than a party trick.
Published on Sept. 5 2005 by Gordon Neufeld

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, Dec 31 2010
This review is from: Eunoia (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant favorite, Nov. 20 2002
Andrew Parker (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eunoia (Paperback)
I was prompted to buy a copy of Eunoia after hearing Christian Bok reading excerpts on the radio. I devoured the book in one sitting, turning each page with greater anticipation, relishing each example of verbal ingenuity. To me, that's what Eunoia is essentially about - sheer brilliance. This book is the result of a titanic cerebral initiative and it comes off flawlessly.
I've lent this book to dozens of people, and to be honest, not everyone has appreciated it in the same way I have. Some people have read the first page and handed it back saying "I don't get it" or "it makes my head hurt". Clearly, this book is not for everyone.
If you have a passion for language you will love this book. If you like word-play, you will love this book. If you appreciate "cleverness" you will love this book. I smiled the whole way through it out of sheer amazement and disbelief. By far the best thing I've read this year, and something that I will continue to revisit over the years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and very funny, June 20 2002
Jessica Smith "Poet-Scholar" (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eunoia (Paperback)
Christian Bok's Eunoia is not only brilliant, but it's very funny and reads quickly. I just wanted to add to the previous review that Eunoia recently won the Griffin Poetry Prize. It's been a best-seller in Canada for awhile. More on the Griffin prize can be found [on the web]
it's the most prestigious Canadian award for poetry. If you like other OULIPO authors, Dr. Seuss & othre funny crazy stuff (tho not for the kids), sound poetry, innovative poetry, etc. you'll like this book. Check out other things Coach House has to offer, too. They're a smallish press but they publish amazing stuff. Also if you like Eunoia you should try Christian's other book, Crystallography. It's more visually oriented than Eunoia but just as enjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Little more than a party trick., Sept. 5 2005
Gordon Neufeld (Schenectady, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eunoia (Paperback)
There's no denying the verbal virtuosity of this work, where Bok manages to write poetry in which each section is written using only one vowel, and yet manages to go on and on at great length. Yet there is really nothing sublime about this poetry; it is merely a very, very clever stunt. If you set aside the fact that Bok uses only one vowel in each section, and examine the work for other poetic merits, it has few. It is little more than a tongue twister or a very high class form of doggerel. I was unable to finish the work.

Eunoia: The Updgraded Edition
Eunoia: The Updgraded Edition by Christian Bok (Paperback - Oct. 15 2009)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24