5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic cookbook
Published on May 24 2003 by Pauline

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Most people who bought the Purity Cookbook in the 1960's or '70's treasure it until it falls apart. That's why I failed to locate an old copy in any of the used bookstores I visited.
The new addition is just not the same. First of all, the spiral binding is gone - that was one of the big attractions. Secondly, most of my favourite recipes from the old version are...
Published on Dec 4 2009 by Janet B. Brush

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic cookbook, May 24 2003
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
A Canadian of 23 years old, she packed her bags and headed off to be a nursing missionary in the highlands of Papua New Guinea, and her mother sent with her this cookbook. Well, the pages of the Purity Cookbook are torn and stained with dirt from PNG. Then across to Australia she came to settle down with a new husband. How often this cook book was used you would not believe, the pages have notes written on them (some are now almost impossible to read), some pages are torn, others are missing and almost all pages have been impregnated with ingredients!
This is the recipe book that all 3 of us children learnt to cook from, the recipes are so simple and so delicious that I don't think anyone could fail with this cookbook. Yes, I was going to try and retype the whole recipe book to make sure that the recipes would not be lost and I was overjoyed when I discovered that the original Purity Cookbook had been reprinted. I can't wait till my mid year break from studying nursing to cook a feast!
I have so many fond memories of this book from my childhood; making sugar cookies with my mum, licking out bowls from the chiffon cake batter and learning how to make bread from scratch. This, and my mum, are what made me the reasonably good cook I am today. This has to be my most prized recipe book. If you are looking for a reliable and tasty recipe book, then this one if for you. I cannot sing its praises highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Purity Cookbook for my Collection, Feb. 24 2011
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
I recently bought two of these cookbooks--one as a gift and the other for myself. I remember my mother's Purity Cookbook from when I was a child--it was a red hardcover one which she gave to me when I married. It eventually was in tatters and I typed out a couple of my favourites before discarding it (how I wish that I had kept it, tattered and all). Then one day some five years or so later there was another Purity Cookbook for sale in our local IGA which, of course, I bought. It is my favourite and is getting rather grease spotted and flour coated now.
I went online a few years ago to see if I could get another but found that the Purity Flour Company had gone out of business and did not publish another. But then, I was able to get this reissue from Amazon and I love it. I have several cookbooks but it is the first that I look for. I have always liked the format of the recipes in that the ingredients are listed as they are used rather than ingredients separate from directions. Sure, the some of the recipes aren't the same but I love it anyway.
As an aside, my grandmother passed a few years ago and my dad found amongst her possessions three other Purity Cookbooks--two which were obviously my great-grandmother's--one published in 1917! In the back are coupons to send away for other copies--just send $0.20 (as compared to the $1.00 for it in the 1967 copy). Certainly a cookbook for all Canadians through the years--nearly one hundred!
I hope that these cookbooks continue to be published--they are neat and compact in their delivery of some real down-to-earth cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was the baking and cooking bible in our home, Feb. 13 2003
Picky Reader "tweetypez" (Irish Catholic Lady, Wife, Mom, and Part-time Library Clerk in Syracuse, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
My father, who was and still is the cook in my childhood home, used this cookbook so much it is now beyond ragged. I bought a used original edition copy on EBay awhile ago for myself, but I was very excited to see that it was reissued and I bought two more copies for my brother and cousin. The recipes in this book are excellent. My husband swears by the pancake batter recipe. My father has made every pie, cookie, roll etc recipe. You will not regret ordering this cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Nostalgia, June 19 2014
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
This cookbook was used in my high school 'Home Economics' classes in the 1960's and the recipes are just as good as they were back then! I had used the Purity cookbook so much over the years that the pages were stained and torn from overuse. I was so happy to discover that a new edition was available after all these years. This cookbook offers a wide variety of meals, including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, preserves, and even cooking for a crowd. There are basic tips on how to bake bread, pickling, freezing, and so on. I would recommend this cookbook to anyone who is new to cooking as well as to people who have been cooking all their lives. And for us old timers, it also brings a little nostalgia into the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars made my top 6 list, June 1 2006
Alexandra (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
I became vegetarian (not vegan, yet) 10 years ago, love food and cooking, and own at least 50 cookbooks. This book has become one of the 6 food-related books that I use the most. They are (not in any particular order):

1. The All New Purity Cookbook

Not vegetarian, but good old-fashioned Canadian comfort-food which I modify to make vegetarian. I use it mostly for baking, but also for a variety of non-desserts such as the great "Savoury Beef Stew" with dumplings(I use firm tofu instead). The pineapple "Upside-Down Cake" is one of my favourites. I give it 4 rather than 5 stars because you get the occasional somewhat dull recipe,such as the "Rice and cheese" recipe #392, only a total of 9 recipes in the "vegetable" section, and a couple of, what look to me like, recipes that were considered risque in the 50s, and just weird, now, such as the "Seafoam Mould" recipe #527. However, most of the recipes are excellent standards, and as I said, I particularly enjoy using this for baking. Both my mother and grandmother used this book, so it's filled with familiarity and tradition for me.

2. Company's Coming Meatless Cooking

(I have the French version, so names and page numbers may differ.)

I wouldn't recommend it for vegans, but very good for a beginning vegetarian or someone looking for old favourites. Lots of good old comfort foods that I missed, such as "Roti Favori (like meatloaf) p. 82, "Boulettes Fantaisie" (Fancy 'meatballs'?) p. 84, "Simili boulettes de Viande" (pork-style 'meatballs') p.86 and the delicious quiche p. 94. I was less enchanted with some of the recipes, such as "Pate au Presque-Poulet" (nearly-chicken pate) p. 76, which I found rather unflavourful, and the "Saucisses au Tofu" (Tofu sausages) p. 74 which wouldn't hold together, but that's ok. Maybe I should have rated it 3 instead of 4, but the recipes I like, I use all the time! Oh, and the "Dessert au Fromage et a l'Ananas" (cheese and pineapple dessert) p. 32, is marvellous!

3. Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian"

My absolute favourite so far. Though I haven't tried the popular Moosewood or Deborah Madison books, yet, I can hardly imagine anything beating this!

Wonderful, wonderful recipes from all over the world, with lots of bean recipes that I actually can't stop myself from eating to the last bite! I find the Indian/Middle-Eastern recipes the best, here. Very much vegan-friendly. Some of my favourites are Moroccan "Chickpea Stew with 6 Vegetables", Persian "Pilaf with Lime and Green Beans", Chinese-American "Stir-Fried Sweet-and-Sour Potato Shreds"... I've tried over 40 of the recipes, many of which have become all-time favourites, most of which I've enjoyed, a few of which I found to be borderline 'duds', all of which I have learned a lot about cooking from. I'd rate this one 4.8 out of 5.

4. Thai Vegetarian Cooking by Vatcharin Bhumichitr

Yummy! Have tried at least a dozen, and not one 'dud'. Anything made with the "Red Curry Paste" p.105 has made it to my favourites list. Ingredients lists are long, but instructions are short and easy. Definitely recommended. 4.5 out of 5.

5. Becoming Vegetarian by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis

Haven't actually tried the recipes at the back, but have found this to be the best reference book I've seen on nutrition. Lots of details and explanations which I crave and which many other books skip over, while remaining very reader-friendly. I would say a must for any vegetarian, and even for non-vegetarians.

6. Prevention Magazine's Nutrition Advisor by Mark Bricklin

Basically a book filled with nutrition labels for over 1000 foods. I just find it very handy because I like to read up on and compare various foods for nutritive value, but this is probably not everyone's 'cup of tea'. It has it's flaws, such as giving information for items such as 'blueberry pie', without giving details on ingredients. It seems to me recipes must vary considerably, no? But, I haven't found any better, yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this cookbook and had been looking for a copy ..., Aug. 18 2014
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
This is a reprint of a cookbook that I got before I got married and that was a reprint. I love this cookbook and had been looking for a copy of it at every yard sale and used book store. I was very surprised to find it on amazon but also very happy. I had favourite recipes and the old book was so tattered and worn that some of those pages were lost when we moved etc. I bought two copies and now that the computer era is here I will be saving them to my computer so that I can access them anywhere. It's got great recipes in it and they are easy to follow and taste great. Love this cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Favorite, Feb. 7 2003
Anne Rasenberger (Queensland, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
I agree! Mum is Canadian and brought the book with her when she married Dad, who is Australian. She used it before that when she was living in Papua & New Guinea. Then she used the book in Australia when we were growing up, so the book is now held together by rubber bands!! It has some great recipes in it, and my sister was going to re-type the whole book until she saw this on Amazon! She told Mum and Mum told me. We're going to ask my aunt from Canada if she'll bring some copies over with her when she visits this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory Lane, Dec 24 2013
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
This was my Mother's go to cookbook when I was growing up. It is wonderful to be able to recreate many of the treats and tastes that bring back such fond memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the original., Feb. 28 2014
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
Ideal for beginners, a bible for every day cooks. Gives advice and instruction on how to do it. We still use recipes from when we originally bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The All New Purity Cookbook, June 27 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The All New Purity Cook Book (Paperback)
I grew up with first my mother cooking with this book, then as I got older, I used it for everything! My mother's copy got so rough looking over the years, but up until just recently, they were not reprinting anymore. My sisters and I would always call our mother to read recipes over the phone. The recipes are easy to follow and so delicious. It is a must for every household! I am just so thrilled that I have my very own copy!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The All New Purity Cook Book
The All New Purity Cook Book by Jean Pare (Paperback - Feb. 1 2001)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24