Published on Feb. 14 2007 by Elise Y.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
I purchased this book with the expectation that it would be a "go-to" cookbook. It is not going to fill that role!

The typeface is orange and black. Orange for the sidebars; OK, but orange for the measurements - much too hard to read while you are trying to follow a recipe.

The phrase "what the heck is ....." appears more often in this book than I...
Published on April 26 2007 by Peter Follett

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, April 26 2007
Peter Follett (Temiskaming, Ontario.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Foods For Ultimate Health: And Dont Forget the Chocolate! (Paperback)

The phrase "what the heck is ....." appears more often in this book than I can stand.

The authors are competent and well qualified to research and write a cookbook. They are NOT well qualified to produce humour. Their attempts are annoying, to say the least and are a distraction from the important content of the book.

I gave it 3 stars and not 2 because the content is well detailed and is important information for those interested in good health.

I will have to work hard to glean the message from this text. The recipes I have tried so far are good; I will try more. This book will not remain in my home for its culinary creativity but rather for its nutrition information.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is AWESOME! Eating healthfully has never been easier or tastier!, Feb. 14 2007
Elise Y. (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have this book as well as the first one they wrote and the recipes are so easy and best of all so tasty. The recipes are so easy to make and require very few ingredients and preparation. The information in the start of the book is easy to follow and very thorough. Mairlyn's great recipes and sense of humor throughout the recipe section will keep you laughing as you cook. The recipes make just enough for a family or a household of one or two, so no throwing out food gone bad from huge volumes. It's the best cookbook I have ever had.

If you want to eat healthfully, with ease and fantastic food, you have to get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money-excellent book, Feb. 9 2009
Z. Nurse (Canada) - See all my reviews
I saw one of the authors, Liz Pearson, speak at a seminar and found her talk interesting and informative without being pushy or advertising. I bought the book after the talk for my spouse who found the book to be excellent. The recipes are easy to follow, the information is relevant and informative and we have recommended it to many friends. The recipes that we have tried were easy, healthy and really good tasting. Some of them give tips on how to find vegetables you may not be familar with, some have the ingredients in the order of preparation with tip of how they prepared for easy preparation, one has what to do with left over ingredients like the big can of pumpkin or if the recipe is kid friend. The kid friendly part depends on the kid and their age, we found. It is the one book and cookbook that we are both using the most of and would have paid the full cover price if had to and found it worth it.

Nice to find a cookbook by qualified people, with nutritional information and is fun to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars MEDICINE WITH CHOCOLATE!, April 30 2007
Mairlyn and Liz have put together a virtual bible of nutritional information that should be like dry wafers to digest. Luckily that's just not the case. The warmth, humour and sharing of life stories makes it logical easy-reading. Speaking as a previously cooking-challenged Boomer, I can attest to the following: the recipes are easy and accessible, the ingredients are readily available in any grocery store, the timely nutritional information packed into every page has started radical changes in our daily eating habits and in those of our extended family as well. All that and some good laughs too - thank goodness these women can deliver the 'medicine' but "don't forget the chocolate"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy For Heart & Health, April 30 2007
Gerry Lomberg (Toronto, On. Canada) - See all my reviews
When my doctor recently told me I had high blood pressure and had to lose weight, I freaked out and then decided I had to do something about my eating habits. This book was the one that made the most sense and is helping me to live a healthy life. It has made cooking fun and easy, and is giving me the impetus to eat healthy and nutritiously. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have ever read!, March 10 2008
Basically if my house was burning down, this would be the one thing I would save!

This book has become my bible! the recipes are so easy to read, make, and eat! one of my personal favs is the 190 calorie double choc chip muffins. both Pearson and Smith make this an easy and enjoyable read.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking to lead a healthy lifestyle, especially those that are new to the health craze and looking for some direction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Healthy really can be delicious, Oct. 31 2009
I am thoroughly enjoying this book. It is well organized and full of great information. The recipes are super healthy, really, really good and you don't have to shop exclusively at the health food store to prepare them. There are no 'oddball' ingredients you have to search high and low for. Most of them are already in the pantry. The recipe pages have relevant extra info and tips which I have found helpful. It would get five stars if it weren't for the aggravating addition of the exclamation 'what the heck!' on pretty much every other page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking Bible, May 2 2010
After my original purchase of "Ultimate Foods for Ultimate Health and don't forget the chocolate" a couple of years ago, I found it so informative and the recipes that compliment the information so easy to make while providing good nutrition, I bought copies for my daughters-in-law and good friends. These people were so impressed, they also bought copies for family and friends. If I could have only one cookbook, this is the one I would choose!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Food for Ultimate Health, Oct. 19 2011
Ultimate Food for Ultimate Health is the best and most informative book I've read on this subject and I've read many. One of the reasons I like it so much is that it tells you what the food does for your body. We all know that an apple a day keeps the doctor away but do we know why? Well this book tells us why: reduces the risk of heart disease or stroke, prevents the development and spread of numerous cancers, protects the health of the aging brain, reduces inflammation, reduce the risk of asthma and allergies. Now I make sure I eat an apple a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Foods for Ultimate Health, July 25 2011
Lynn Bailey - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this book for everyone who is interested in the relationship between food choices and health. There is loads of excellent information worth reading. I have made 6 recipes so far and they have all been delicious. This book makes you realize that healthy eating and wise food choices can still taste terrific especially for those who like me "love to cook". Very Impressed!!!! Lynn

Ultimate Foods For Ultimate Health: And Dont Forget the Chocolate!
Ultimate Foods For Ultimate Health: And Dont Forget the Chocolate! by Mairlyn Smith (Paperback - Feb. 27 2011)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.77