5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly simple recipes that taste great

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, simple recipes
Published on Jan. 24 2010 by Erin321

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly simple recipes that taste great, Dec 5 2009
Andrea (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Best of Chef at Home: Essential Recipes for Today's Kitchen (Paperback)
I've been a fan of Michael Smith's show on the Food Network for years but this is the first of his cookbooks that I've ever used. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but it was love at first sight. This book is beautifully laid out - uncluttered, simple formatting of recipes and gorgeous photos of each dish. Even if you don't make a single one of the recipes in here, it is just a lovely book to look at.

The recipes themselves are very easy to make and the ones I've tried so far have all turned out wonderfully. I've made the whitefish provencal, the fetuccine alfredo, and the grilled chicken with 10 toppings (I used the basil pesto suggestion for the topping but all of Smith's ideas are great). He provides a lot of suggestions for variations and substitutions so these recipes are quite flexible depending on your tastes and what you have in your pantry.

My favourite thing about this book is the way that the instructions are given. Unlike most other cookbooks I own, Smith gives instructions based on how the food looks, feels, and smells so that you become an intuitive cook. He doesn't tell you how many minutes to saute something, he tells you what signs to check for to see if it's done. I find that very helpful - I'm not a beginner in the kitchen but there are many things I am still learning and this book is great for developing that Chef's Sixth Sense.

This is easily one of my favourite cookbooks and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book you have to get, Nov. 1 2009
Karen A. King (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Michael Smith is my favorite all time Food Network Chef. His meals are simple, easy to make and you can always find the ingredients. This book has many outstanding recipies in it, that everyone in the family will enjoy. I have bought 4 of this book and used 3 for gifts of which my girlfriends just love it. They agreed that the recepies are simple and easy to follow and the end result is a dinner you would think a professional chef made. Don't miss the chance to give someone a cookbook that won't just sit on the shelf, it will sit in your kitchen and you will use it over and over again!! I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, simple recipes, Jan. 24 2010
I love Michael Smith and I was really excited for this new book, hoping for a stellar follow-up to his last Chef at Home book. I was disappointed to find that many of the recipes were reprints or slight variations of recipes from that book (i.e. orange ginger beef, chocolate chip cookies) and I laughed out loud when I saw the recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich. However, the pasta section is expanded and interesting, the recipes do use easy to find (often staple) ingredients and the variations and tips offered make everything very accessible. In short, if you only buy one Michael Smith book, you'll probably be really happy with this one. If you already owned his last Chef at Home compilation, you might find it's a bit of a let-down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing ... Too Basic, Jan. 16 2010
Dia (West Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Sorry, but to me this book is way too basic. I am a Michael Smith fan, but I got his basics from his first book. From the price and size, I expected more than a recipe for a basic grilled cheese sandwich, a basic hamburger, broth, chocolate chip cookies or a banana with peanut butter rolled in a wrap. While the book is very pretty with great photos(thus one of the stars,)I was really hoping for more. A few sections -- such as 10 ways to vary a basic salad dressing, or 10 different glazes for ham -- are helpful, but otherwise, pretty boring and not much that is new. I'm an experienced and adventurous cook so maybe this wasn't aimed at me. Too bad. Probably better for a starter cook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love This Book, Feb. 12 2014
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is one cookbook that is getting splattered from regular use. We are particularly fond of the pancakes, vegetarian chili, bread pudding, apple pie, and the country loaf that I bake nearly once a week. (I've made it so many times that I've memorized the recipe.) Nice food photography as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Jan. 13 2014
I thought price was great and believe shipping was free..book was Christmas gift for wife who loves to cook book is very simple with great recipes. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Sept. 1 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I'm a Great fan of Michael (great tv show) and a pretty good cook as well (self taught and love it)
The book I bought is fantastic and probably the Best one on my shelf. Michael smith will help you
impress your friends and somehow he inspires you to experiment with your own style and flavors.
Highly recommended.
Harry from BC Canada

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, July 13 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
it is concise, it tells you exactly how to do things with the the ingredients and does not miss steps, and shows you how it is to looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 8 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Love his so easy to follow receipes. The recipes I feel anyone can follow and ones that I have tried all taste great. Can't wait to see his next publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection Simplified, June 13 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Always the first cookbook that I grab. Simple to understand, no extra jargon, just great, down-home recipes and ideas. Writing this review is making me hungry.

ARRAY(0xab921198)

The Best of Chef at Home: Essential Recipes for Today's Kitchen
The Best of Chef at Home: Essential Recipes for Today's Kitchen by Michael Smith (Paperback - March 10 2011)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.77