countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on February 16, 2010
I absolutely love this book. Cannot emphasis that enough. We loved the blue cheese crusted filet mignon. It was better than our local steak house that used to be our ultimate favorite. The homemade salad dressings are a daily staple now. We love how the book is all about adapting to what you have and what you like. It doesn't hurt that I'm from PEI and very proud (and a teeny bit biased) that Chef Smith has so much inspiration from PEI ingredients and traditional foods like the seafood chowder.

Please, please, please buy this book! You will not be sorry. Try the cinnamon buns and/or the brownies first (my boss said they were the best brownies he's ever had). And definitely the homemade granola you will not be able to stop eating it.
on February 25, 2010
Definitely worth the purchase! I am currently cooking and blogging my way through the entire cookbook and there very few recipes that I wouldn't recommend.
This is an excellent book for beginners and pros alike, and it's the perfect gift for anyone who needs to be in the kitchen (or wants to be!)
I have met Chef Michael, and I can tell you that the "freestyle variations" that he offers really reflect how he cooks. He is generous and wants to allow all the home cooks out there some space to be creative and learn! I have learned SO much from this book, and I've eaten better than I have in my life!
Our favourite recipe thus far is the Brined Turkey with Herb Gravy. Well worth the purchase!
[...]
on August 18, 2012
Michael Smith has brought a whole new world of cooking into my kitchen.
Have been cooking for almost 70 years, and have always been considered a really good cook.
Well, now I'm also inventive and liberated.
Love this book and recommend it highly to cooks young and old.
on July 15, 2011
The jacket of the book encourages you to "discover home cooking at its best", and that is exactly what you are guaranteed to find with Michael's latest collection of recipes. Everything in this book feels homey, including the beautiful photographs. The book is full of tantalizing comfort food ideas, with a good array of dishes appropriate for all seasons. And when you consider all of the freestyle options that are incorporated into The Best of Chef at Home, it almost feels as if you are getting two (or three or four!) recipes for the price of one.
on February 5, 2013
It's wonderful and straight forward. He encourages you to keep tasting, testing, and adjusting the flavours to get what you want. Pretty much all of the ingredients can be found in a typical Canadian grocery store which is fantastic.
on February 22, 2010
This is a great book for Canadian cooks as all the ingredients are available in Canada (maybe not year round though). It's also good for average, at-home cooks and the recipes are forgiving and don't have a list of 25 ingredients that you need to hunt down before you get started. I haven't tried every recipe but the ones I have tried have turned out well for the most part, and those that didn't I suspect were user error.
on December 30, 2009
Recettes simples mais délicieuses. Belles illustrations. Je l'aime tellement que je l'ai offert aussi en cadeau.
on January 13, 2010
Purchased as a gift for Christmas for my husband. He made the Clam chowder recipe and it was simple and tasty. The photos in this cookbook are very appealing and show you what your meal will look like.
Most ingredients for the recipes we found in our pantry which makes this easy for last minute meals. Next we will try the gumbo!!
on January 16, 2010
Sorry, but to me this book is way too basic. I am a Michael Smith fan, but I got his basics from his first book. From the price and size, I expected more than a recipe for a basic grilled cheese sandwich, a basic hamburger, broth, chocolate chip cookies or a banana with peanut butter rolled in a wrap. While the book is very pretty with great photos(thus one of the stars,)I was really hoping for more. A few sections -- such as 10 ways to vary a basic salad dressing, or 10 different glazes for ham -- are helpful, but otherwise, pretty boring and not much that is new. I'm an experienced and adventurous cook so maybe this wasn't aimed at me. Too bad. Probably better for a starter cook.
on April 7, 2010
This book is fantastic!
It has #1) beautiful picture to give you a good finishing product image
#2) Well-organized ingredients list and instruction that won't confuse you while cooking, and
#3) Lots of great, alternative ideas

This book has a bit of everything for everyone; from easy novice recipes like a tortilla-wrapped peanut butter and banana snack to some advanced meal like prime rib roast. This book also covers every genre: appetizers, fish, meat, vegetarian, side dish, pasta, rice, potato, dessert and even salad dressing.

One big kudos on this book is that Michael Smith gives a lot of alternative ideas. Say, instead of whole wheat flour, it says "any kind of flour", or instead of so many cups or something, it says the ratio of 1:2. When you are out of a few ingredients, or you have to double (or even triple!) the recipe, it helps to know what you can use instead.... and it inspires you to be creative and adventurous of food!