countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on December 5, 2009
I've been a fan of Michael Smith's show on the Food Network for years but this is the first of his cookbooks that I've ever used. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but it was love at first sight. This book is beautifully laid out - uncluttered, simple formatting of recipes and gorgeous photos of each dish. Even if you don't make a single one of the recipes in here, it is just a lovely book to look at.

The recipes themselves are very easy to make and the ones I've tried so far have all turned out wonderfully. I've made the whitefish provencal, the fetuccine alfredo, and the grilled chicken with 10 toppings (I used the basil pesto suggestion for the topping but all of Smith's ideas are great). He provides a lot of suggestions for variations and substitutions so these recipes are quite flexible depending on your tastes and what you have in your pantry.

My favourite thing about this book is the way that the instructions are given. Unlike most other cookbooks I own, Smith gives instructions based on how the food looks, feels, and smells so that you become an intuitive cook. He doesn't tell you how many minutes to saute something, he tells you what signs to check for to see if it's done. I find that very helpful - I'm not a beginner in the kitchen but there are many things I am still learning and this book is great for developing that Chef's Sixth Sense.

This is easily one of my favourite cookbooks and I highly recommend it.
on November 1, 2009
Michael Smith is my favorite all time Food Network Chef. His meals are simple, easy to make and you can always find the ingredients. This book has many outstanding recipies in it, that everyone in the family will enjoy. I have bought 4 of this book and used 3 for gifts of which my girlfriends just love it. They agreed that the recepies are simple and easy to follow and the end result is a dinner you would think a professional chef made. Don't miss the chance to give someone a cookbook that won't just sit on the shelf, it will sit in your kitchen and you will use it over and over again!! I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
on October 27, 2015
We like Michael Smith and his recipes are usually very tasty and simple. There are several variations on some recipes so the same dish can be created different ways. There aren't many exotic ingrediants that have to be found in specialty stores so you can find everything in your local grocery store.
on May 9, 2014
Chef Michael Smith is the best. This recipe book contains several basic recipes for meals like pasta alfredo, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs, etc. Though the ingredients are basic, everything that I have made from this cook book taste gourmet, and in most cases, better than what I could order in a mid-end restaurant. The alfredo sauce recipe in particular was seriously the best alfredo sauce I've ever had. I recommend this book highly to people who don't have a lot of cooking experience, or those that would like a great foundational book in their collection. Another great thing about Chef Michael Smith's style is he includes "free style variations" for all of the recipes so you can make substitutions and customizations to your meal depending on what you have on hand.
on January 24, 2010
I love Michael Smith and I was really excited for this new book, hoping for a stellar follow-up to his last Chef at Home book. I was disappointed to find that many of the recipes were reprints or slight variations of recipes from that book (i.e. orange ginger beef, chocolate chip cookies) and I laughed out loud when I saw the recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich. However, the pasta section is expanded and interesting, the recipes do use easy to find (often staple) ingredients and the variations and tips offered make everything very accessible. In short, if you only buy one Michael Smith book, you'll probably be really happy with this one. If you already owned his last Chef at Home compilation, you might find it's a bit of a let-down.
on June 22, 2015
Great book, easy instructions and I love that there are pictures next to every dish. That helps a lot in replicating the looks of the dish and not just the taste. Already made the braised beef ribs - it was great!

So many of cooking books lack a flow and try too hard to look posh... Chef Michael Smith just nails it.
on March 8, 2013
This is not a traditional recipe book. Although it is written in the style of a recipe book, Chef Michael Smith encourages you to not do exactly what is written. I find that the best way to use this book is to read the recipe to get the general idea of ingredients, proportions and preparation, put the book aside, then prepare the dish from memory changing it as I see fit. Doing so actually makes cooking more interesting and enjoyable as well!
on February 12, 2014
This is one cookbook that is getting splattered from regular use. We are particularly fond of the pancakes, vegetarian chili, bread pudding, apple pie, and the country loaf that I bake nearly once a week. (I've made it so many times that I've memorized the recipe.) Nice food photography as well.
on December 15, 2009
My cupboard is full of unused cookbooks and then I got this cookbook and LOVE IT! I actually use this one. The recipe's are absolutely delicious and so easy to make and with ingredients found in most kitchens. A joy to cook with, THANK YOU Michael Smith! This is THE cookbook to have and a great gift for the person who has everything.
on September 1, 2013
I'm a Great fan of Michael (great tv show) and a pretty good cook as well (self taught and love it)
The book I bought is fantastic and probably the Best one on my shelf. Michael smith will help you
impress your friends and somehow he inspires you to experiment with your own style and flavors.
Highly recommended.