5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly simple recipes that taste great
I've been a fan of Michael Smith's show on the Food Network for years but this is the first of his cookbooks that I've ever used. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but it was love at first sight. This book is beautifully laid out - uncluttered, simple formatting of recipes and gorgeous photos of each dish. Even if you don't make a single one of the recipes in here, it...
Published on Dec 5 2009 by Andrea

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, simple recipes
I love Michael Smith and I was really excited for this new book, hoping for a stellar follow-up to his last Chef at Home book. I was disappointed to find that many of the recipes were reprints or slight variations of recipes from that book (i.e. orange ginger beef, chocolate chip cookies) and I laughed out loud when I saw the recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich. However,...
Published on Jan. 24 2010 by Erin321

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, Dec 30 2009
This review is from: The Best of Chef at Home: Essential Recipes for Today's Kitchen (Paperback)
Recettes simples mais délicieuses. Belles illustrations. Je l'aime tellement que je l'ai offert aussi en cadeau.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love This Book, Feb. 12 2014
This is one cookbook that is getting splattered from regular use. We are particularly fond of the pancakes, vegetarian chili, bread pudding, apple pie, and the country loaf that I bake nearly once a week. (I've made it so many times that I've memorized the recipe.) Nice food photography as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, May 9 2014
aMcC "AM" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Chef Michael Smith is the best. This recipe book contains several basic recipes for meals like pasta alfredo, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs, etc. Though the ingredients are basic, everything that I have made from this cook book taste gourmet, and in most cases, better than what I could order in a mid-end restaurant. The alfredo sauce recipe in particular was seriously the best alfredo sauce I've ever had. I recommend this book highly to people who don't have a lot of cooking experience, or those that would like a great foundational book in their collection. Another great thing about Chef Michael Smith's style is he includes "free style variations" for all of the recipes so you can make substitutions and customizations to your meal depending on what you have on hand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing ... Too Basic, Jan. 16 2010
Dia (West Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Sorry, but to me this book is way too basic. I am a Michael Smith fan, but I got his basics from his first book. From the price and size, I expected more than a recipe for a basic grilled cheese sandwich, a basic hamburger, broth, chocolate chip cookies or a banana with peanut butter rolled in a wrap. While the book is very pretty with great photos(thus one of the stars,)I was really hoping for more. A few sections -- such as 10 ways to vary a basic salad dressing, or 10 different glazes for ham -- are helpful, but otherwise, pretty boring and not much that is new. I'm an experienced and adventurous cook so maybe this wasn't aimed at me. Too bad. Probably better for a starter cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed with this cookbook., Dec 22 2009
My husband and I both love to cook from this book. I own several of Michael Smith's cookbooks and this one is by far our favourite when we don't have much time for lots of preparation or hard to find ingredients. The ingredients are easy to find and the recipes are relatively easy to prepare. The food is always delicious and we have recommended it to everyone who has eaten and admired the food cooked from this book. I have all ready given one as a gift and will be giving it to others in the future. Some of my favourite recipes from this book are the Braised Short ribs, and the Molten Chocolate cakes... which I made over and over again for a couple weeks straight.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is definitely a keeper!, July 15 2011
The jacket of the book encourages you to "discover home cooking at its best", and that is exactly what you are guaranteed to find with Michael's latest collection of recipes. Everything in this book feels homey, including the beautiful photographs. The book is full of tantalizing comfort food ideas, with a good array of dishes appropriate for all seasons. And when you consider all of the freestyle options that are incorporated into The Best of Chef at Home, it almost feels as if you are getting two (or three or four!) recipes for the price of one.

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever, Jan. 28 2010
This is a great cookbook for everyone as in most recipes almost all ingrediants are in your cupboard. The cookbook has easy to follow instructions and delicious recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Cookbook, Jan. 6 2010
Simple easy to follow recipes that don't require too many ingredients and the best part is they taste great. Can't go wrong with Michael Smith in the kitchen with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of culinary ideas more than a book of recipes, March 8 2013
This is not a traditional recipe book. Although it is written in the style of a recipe book, Chef Michael Smith encourages you to not do exactly what is written. I find that the best way to use this book is to read the recipe to get the general idea of ingredients, proportions and preparation, put the book aside, then prepare the dish from memory changing it as I see fit. Doing so actually makes cooking more interesting and enjoyable as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, Jan. 18 2010
N. Foran (Gatineau, QC CA) - See all my reviews
Great tasty recipes but what was best was how easy they all were to put together!!! Whole family loved it!! Thanks Michael

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Best of Chef at Home: Essential Recipes for Today's Kitchen
The Best of Chef at Home: Essential Recipes for Today's Kitchen by Michael Smith (Paperback - March 10 2011)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.87