5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and lots of fun, Oct. 24 2003
S. Schonberger (near Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Historical Atlas Of British Columbia And The Pacific Northwest (Hardcover)
I have quite a few other historical atlases, and this one is one of my favorites. One attraction is that it's focused on the northwest US, where I live. Even without the local interest I still think I'd like the book though.
Unlike a typical historical atlas, this book collects historical maps, rather than using modern maps to illustrate historical events. In the accompanying text, it tells stories about the explorers who created the maps.
The book flap text is a good summary of the contents, not just empty marketing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and lots of fun, April 18 2000
By A Customer
I have other historical atlases, but this one is my favorite. For one thing, it covers the area where I live, but even without the local interest it's great. Instead of drawing broad historical themes on modern maps, like most historical atlases do, this book collects historical maps, showing how people through history thought the world looked. In addition to the many interesting historical maps, there are lots of interesting stories about the people who created the maps.
The stuff in the book flap text and the excerpt isn't just hype -- the book really is as good as it sounds.

Historical Atlas Of British Columbia And The Pacific Northwest