5.0 out of 5 stars What a pilgrim tells the readers
I finished What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim, by Jane Christmas, at 1.30 am yesterday. I just couldn't put it down.

Published on Aug. 31 2007 by Brigitte Amat

3.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening
Published 24 months ago by caseygirl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pilgrim tells the readers, Aug. 31 2007
Brigitte Amat - See all my reviews
This review is from: What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim: A Midlife Misadventure on Spain's Camino de Santiago de Compostela (Paperback)

I love everything in that book: the complexion of it, the spirit. It's funny and moving at the same time and even if you can tell that the author is a pious person, she keeps an open and critical mind about her fellow pilgrims (and herself). Pilgrims are human beings, right? And when human beings are concerned, anything is to be expected and the book is indeed rich in (mis)adeventures.

The book, of course, is about the author's personal experience, but it says so much about the way we humans are - and so much about the Camino itself from an historical and geographical perspective - that even though I'm a "veteran" of the Camino myself, I think that anybody who hasn't walk it will enjoy it! And maybe even walk it one day or another, because, as they'll see, some miracles seem to be still possible after all.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Life-Changing Experience, Feb. 9 2008
Ian Gordon Malcomson (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I don't know what compelled me to read this book other than the fact that the covered mentioned something about Spain's Camino - one of the world's biggest networks of pilgrimages. Like Lourdes in the south of France, the Camino (a trio of lengthy treks to the putative sepulcher of St. James) attracts tens of thousands of hikers every year. Some are the faithful who want to draw closer to God through acts of penance, while others simply turn-up for the challenge of trudging 750 kilometers through mountainous terrain on the way to Santiago. Since this annual affair has been going on for hundreds of years, the Spanish population is well prepared to provide various degrees of hospitality for the sojourners. I even discovered a number of websites that help out-of-towners make travel arrangements to the starting line on the French side of the Pyrenees. Christmas' story is one of a wild adventure that went way beyond her initial expectations for taking the journey. Going through a mid-life crisis in Canada, resulting from a failed marriage, Christmas decided to organize a group of friends to accompany her on the roughest stretch of the Camino. For the next month or so her story unfolds along the lines of learning to adjust to the biggest challenge in her life to date: finding God in herself. As Christmas struggles to overcome the aches and pains, the fear and loathing, and the growing sense of disillusionment, she gradually learns to look outside herself and her little group of so-called friends to find a whole new world beckoning her. While the Spanish countryside and its many decrepit little villages may not possess the spiritual values that she is idealistically looking for to get her life going again, they contain a strong sense of newness and vitality that will challenge her time-worn sensibilities. By the end of the pilgrimage, she has become a transformed person who relates more effectively with people outside her traditional bailiwick, and can begin to take risks with her emotions. There is a lot of fun and high spirit in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Need to Read this!, Oct. 29 2009
Mrs. Nancy M. Leblanc "mosesmew" (Yarmouth Canada) - See all my reviews
A few short months ago,I was introduced to this wonderful book/guide. I couldn't put it down, Liked it so much I to am preparing myself to walk,"The Camino de Santiago"! In fact I'm going in August/September of 2010! Jane has put so much inspiration/Love & Humour in this amazing read,you feela as though you're there with her! She has kept hersanity through the ,"bitching/cat fights/blisters &her fearlessness,(to take on such a long journey),physicaly,is one thing. But to take on your "inner-self", is another more bumpy journey! Thank-you Jane! Blessings Nancy

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, Oct. 16 2009
Jane Christmas is fast becoming my favourite author. Her first book, "The Pelee Project" was an outstanding memoir of a three-month sabatical on Pelee Island, Ontario with one of her three children. I read it in one weekend! What the Psychic...is even better and funnier and more probing. You can literally feel the pain and angst she suffered along with the comic moments. I read it in one weekend. Because of her, I have registered for Spanish lessons and am getting in shape to walk the Camino. Thank you Jane for inspiring so many people. I look forward to reading her third and current book, "Incontinent on the Continent". I plan on reading it this weekend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, Dec 28 2012
caseygirl (Vancouver Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I read this book because I had been hearing a lot recently about the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. I had watched the movie The Way and thought, maybe, just maybe, I could attempt such walk even at my advanced age! This book was incredibly enlightening. The walk is obviously not for the faint of heart or certainly the elderly. The movie made it look like a walk in the park, this book I am presuming tells it like it really is, a very difficult walk. I enjoyed the way it was written and the experiences and encounters the author had with others.She is very entertaining. I didn't find her whiney at all, I thought she was very stoic and I would have left the other women behind as well with all their little cliques and infantile ways. I kept thinking while reading that she probably would not complete the walk because she repeatedly kept threatening to quit.Kudos to her that that she did. Why I gave this book only three stars is because I felt very let down at the end regarding the English man she met. The odd relationship was never explained satisfactorily at all and leaves the reader hanging. I understand perhaps his situation was very personal and he didn't want information disclosed but it would have been better to have left him out of the storyline completely or mentioned him vaguely as if he was just yet another of her encounters enroute thus confirming the psychic's prediction. The hotel room experience she relates I found very odd.I came to the conclusion that not many make this walk as your typical "pilgrimage" but everyone seems to end it with some sort of positive enlightenment. It's a good book which thoroughly convinced me I should have done the walk twenty years ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars The rereading of a happy distant journey, June 1 2010
Clement Pauze (Blainville, Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews
The main reason I bought this book was curiosity.
And it was a great choice. I walked a little less than
300km on the Camino in 1996. Reading Ms Christmas'
experience was the next best thing to walking the Camino
again, minus the blisters. I would recommend that any
audacious souls who want to live that experience should
read What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim prior to their
departure.

Since I am French speaking, I purchased the book from
Amazon and read it with my best friend, the English-French
dictionary.

All the experiences on the Camino are highly
personal. As a man, I was very much interested in reading
a woman's point of view. The pain and blisters on the feet
seems the same, lodging in the shelters is the daily
surprise for both sexes, the dynamic among women
travelling together is dreadfully different from my manly
experience. Like the refugios along the Camino, the
characters/pilgrims are all different and offer unique
gifts or unique headaches.

The narrative is inspired, the metaphors humorously
sparkling with genuine insight that illuminate that
wonderful experience. The scenery through Christmas' eyes
is evocative and superb. You almost feel as if you are
walking beside the author. Don't miss the real
love-friendship story developing in the story.

The return to normal life is always difficult, either
by walking the Camino or reading What the Psychic Told the
Pilgrim. Prepare for it; it is addictive. The result is
highly entertaining: it offers a new perspective in life,
a new love-friendship relation for Christmas and for many
pilgrims; an inspirational read for you, or the rereading
of a happy distant journey for me. Everybody can find
something in this book to which they can relate.

Clement Pauze

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?, June 12 2012
I'm surprised by the reviews I'm seeing. I found this book to be tedious and the author whiny. Page after page is filled with complaints. It is no wonder that she was continuously ditched on this pilgrimage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny, and Insightful Book!, Oct. 30 2010
This book is a must-read for those contemplating walking the Camino, or for those who have already done so. It is a well-written and humourous account documenting the author's experience and misgivings of organizing a group of women to walk the Camino pilgrimage trail in Northern Spain. You can imagine the clash of personalities and intentions when confronted by the trials and jubilations of an 800km hike across a whole manner of terrain and circumstances.

I walked the Camino last summer with my son, so did not have to put up with group politics described in this book (I had other challenges, uniquely tailored for me!), but many of the descriptions are familiar on a broader more human level, and the places that Christmas describes are still very near and dear to my heart, even if I had a different experiencing of them to some extent. This in itself is the magic of making a pilgrimage - it provides you with exactly the experiences you need to grow as a human being. This delightful book describes the journey with humanity and humour.

I could not put this book down!

Annie Camino
Walked, Survived, and Celebrated August 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, June 2 2012
Very engrossing. Jane has a very incisive sense of humor. I read the book in two days as I could not out it down! 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, then start looking for your own walking stick, Feb. 28 2010
I could not put this book down. Jane's humour and utter honesty about both the good and the bad resonated with me, and I could feel myself walking along with her. It has certainly make me search out other books about the Camano de Santiago de Compostela. It's made me question myself as far as my own goals, what I want to achieve, and if this is the way to show myself what I'm made of. I was sad to see this book end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›