march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

on February 22, 2016
I absolutely loved reading "What the psychic told the pilgrim". I've found it hard to find adventure-travel books (travelogue I guess?) like this one that isn't just a city's guidebook. Her writing is funny, sarcastic and blunt and the style makes it feel as if I'm walking the Camino with her. She gives very realistic stories about her travel experiences and doesn't sugarcoat what she went through, which really makes it come to life. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a good laugh while enjoying a wonderful story of motivation and self-perseverance.
on December 23, 2015
I walked the Camino in November 2014 and I thought it was THE best thing I've ever done in my life. I recently came across Jane Christmas' book - What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim - and I am writing this review to share how much I enjoyed reading through it. Not only was it a very entertaining read, it, more importantly I'd argue, brought back so many sweet moments and poignant memories from my own journey. I remember the pains of hurting shoulders and blistered feet, the excitement to run across fellow pilgrims and exclaim "Buen Camino!", the horror of sleeping next to a CRAZY LOUD snorer (mine happened in Pamplona, he was The Loud Italian Snorer whose Wife Can't Even Sleep Beside Him - ditto to pilgrims' monikers!), the joy of drinking endless amounts of vino tinto at dinner time without breaking the bank (2 Euro/glass for a Crianza Rioja wine? WHAT!), the simple happiness of a cup of cafe con leche y zumo naranja for breakfast, the delicious bocadillos for lunch, and even the pulpo from Melide (please tell me you had some!)

All that is to say: THANK YOU, Jane. I'm glad you penned your experience down to share it with the world.
on November 26, 2015
I found the author very judgmental regarding the Camino, the people of Spain and fellow pilgrims. I am embarrassed as a Canadian about her lack of tolerance regarding the simplicity of the refuges for pilgrims and the individual struggles of fellow walkers. I have walked the Camino three times and did not have anything like the experience she expressed in her book. The spirit of the Camino and the welcome I received in each and every time I made the journey was terrific. I will never recommend this book as it would discourage anyone from taking the journey. Shallow and mean spirited.
on November 12, 2015
I bought this book because I have been dreaming, for about a year, about walking part of the Camino de Santiago. I really knew nothing about the walk except what I had seen in the Martin Sheen movie called "The Way" - excellent movie, by the way. This book tells the story of Jane. A divorced mother of teenage children. She describes, in detail, what it is like to walk the Camino, and what it meant to her. I read this book in one sitting. I have not changed my mind about wanting to attempt this adventure, but I think I will forego the trek across the Pyrennes !! Thanks Jane. Your account of your journey reached into my soul and, for me, that has nothing to do with the religious aspect and more to do with finding your true self.
on November 2, 2015
I really did not enjoy this book at all- many people told me; 'you must read this book, before you do the Camino' despite these well intentioned suggestions... I must honestly question whether these people walked the Camino... Just like I questioned whether JC ever walked- as there were many references and descriptions given that were so opposite of the reality.

I'm embarrassed that I actually suggested my book club read it, as I walked the Camino, and while I read it as well. Her account of the journey is so negative and whiney... Not to mention straight up false at times.

She described trails, local people, and albergues as so difficult, rude and filthy! I was actually expecting a very dismal experience- when in fact... It was the most magnificent experiences in my life- the trail is, indeed, difficult at times, but it so beautiful! I found the people very kind, and all the albergues I stayed in were clean and very representable.

I could go on for days at what a BAD BOOK this is, and at the end of the day- I will simply remember we all view life through a different lense. Jane Christmas- clean your glasses! And readers- please move on to a better read.
on July 20, 2015
I did the Camino a few years ago and i felt her book perfectly and honestly described the weird and wonderful of the adventure on ALL LEVELS with just the right amount of humour.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is considering the trek.
on June 7, 2015
I do not think I will ever have to walk the Camino de Santiago because through Jane Christmas's book I have already done so. She did it with so much humour and grace I could not put it down. In fact, I even went on the internet to see if she and Colin ever got together and was so pleased they had..That is something I never ,ever did before..

I would highly recommend it and am looking for to reading her And Then There were Nun.. Way to go Jane..
on May 5, 2015
Want to do the pilgrimage after reading this book!
on April 25, 2015
I found this book to be quite a depressing and discouraging story about someone's experience on the camino. Thank goodness the book was relatively short.
on April 9, 2015
One of the honest down to earth books I've read about the experience of trekking along the Camino. Well written with the right amount of humour and history. Would have loved some pictures to be added.