5.0 out of 5 stars This story is truly amazing
Published on June 23 2007 by Jenny J.J.I.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative
This book is informative and teaches us how to appreciate a normal life, with a loving mother and father, rather than a father who comes and goes. This young boy survived but only by joining in the killings and butchering of hundreds of people. Very sad. Very little love in this child's life and then he turns to killing others to survive and get food, and drugs. He has...
Published 10 months ago by penelope costin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This story is truly amazing, June 23 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Hardcover)
I like to say that "A Long Way Gone" is quite a depressing story but very inspiring. Ishmael Beah tells the story of becoming a boy soldier in Sierra Leone and of his later rehabilitation. This was a heartbreaking story and very difficult to read from an emotional standpoint. I read the book over a short period of time as it is so gripping that I did not want to put it down, but at the same time it brought an overwhelming sense of sorrow. The horror that Beah so well describes, was unbelievably moving.

The book is well written and flows rather nicely. However, the story itself is so incredible that, even if it were poorly constructed, it would have been worth reading. Saying that it was "worth reading" is not really adequate. All people should read it in order to remind us what the reality of life is outside of Western culture. It is partly because we block incidents like those described by Beah that they can continue to happen.

I would not presume to know how to stop the carnage that occurs in so many Third World countries, but I can not help but think that if we as a society, were more aware of them and had to face the emotions and gut wrenching sorrow that come with the knowledge of such atrocities, we would be far less willing to allow them to happen.

Ishmael Beah has demonstrated that he is a remarkable individual with great reserves. He shows what changes can come about when people are caring and thoughtful of others. I would venture to say that Ishmael Beah feels guilt for what he has done. However, I think he should be proud of the fact that he has endured and triumph over so much evil and pain in becoming who he is today. It was an honor to be allowed to read Beah's story, as it must have been as equally difficult to recount it, as it was to live through it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an absolute stunner., Sept. 7 2008
Jack Blatant (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Paperback)
Incredible. I remember when I saw Jon Stewart's interview with Ishmael Beah that Stewart said that the book "made my heart hurt." Incredibly, terribly, amazingly true. Beah tells his story in a way that is simple and genuine. His writing style is not terribly developed and at times can be a bit rough, but that is more than compensated for by the fact that the story he has to tell is so mind-boggling. Beah chronicles the collapse of order in Sierra Leone, at least insofar as it affected his village and local area; his flight from his home and attempts to survive in the wild; his recruitment as a boy soldier, and his rehabilitation.

His story is so compelling that it held my grade eleven class of hard-bitten non-readers spellbound as I read the entire book to them aloud over the course of a few weeks. When I read the book for the first time, I went and hugged my wife and all of my children just to give thanks for their lives, and I'm not the sort of person who does that sort of thing ordinarily. (Not that I'm a jerk or anything, I just don't cry when Bambi gets shot.)

This is one of the books that everyone should read, if only to realize how damn lucky most of us are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just my opinion, July 10 2007
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Hardcover)
In my opinion, all great books are depressing and at the same time, uplifting. Such is the case with LONG WAY GONE. I'm attracted to books set in exotic locales, and this one fit the bill perfectly. What I wasn't prepared for was the remarkable writing style and great story. The story of a boy becoming a man, this is no average "coming of age" tale. Ishmael Beah teaches us something great in this work--that we can change, and that we can change others. Given the situation of the world today, I can't help but think this book is all the more relevant. I've recently read three incredible books lately, and this was by far the best---actually a tie with A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS and the incredible novel MIDDLESEX by Eugenides. I highly recommend all these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a moth to the flame, March 16 2007
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Hardcover)
For some reason, I'm drawn to books that deal with a human beings ability to deal with adversity. Perhaps it's my own experiences that have played some part in this, but for whatever reason I find that these stories inspire me; bring me to a new level. Books like "Night" and "Bark of the Dogwood" come to mind---books that take you through the fire and bring you out the other side. So, it was only natural that I'd be attracted to LONG WAY GONE by Ishmael Beah. This book is not for those who want to shy away from the graphic and ferocious accounts of war. Nor is it for those who are terribly sensitive to the plights of children, especially in war times. But it really should be read, not only for its harrowing story, but for the quaility of writing. The pacing is very effective and sometimes, well, a bit too real. I recommend this read to anyone who wants to know the full impact of war.

4.0 out of 5 stars May not be entirely authentic, but still worth the read, July 7 2010
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Paperback)
A first-person account of a child soldier that has had its authenticity challenged, and at the very least may not be independently verifiable, this is still worth the read. First of all, I don't think there's any doubt that Ishmael did indeed grow up in Sierra Leone and have some experience of the civil war. So although his account may be somewhat problematic and some things may have been added/removed to make the narrative more palatable, we're not talking a complete fabrication here. And frankly, what memoir doesn't have its credibility problems? At any rate, even if Beah's memory is faulty, we still have a pretty powerful indictment of child soldiery and a world that isn't doing nearly enough to stop it. This is not sensationalist, for the most part, and I'm afraid that what's true here includes the horrific psychological and social damage caused by civil war and the creation of child soldiers. Pick away at the evidence if you will, but there's still a story here that you need to read and need to think about - and do something about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Oct. 24 2008
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Paperback)
Imagine, you live in a village; you know, the ones without electricity and plumbing? You get water from the river for your mother so she can cook dinner but, when you come back, the village is ablaze and everyone is running. Not just running in one direction but everywhere; screaming, yelling, falling down dead.

This is what causes Ishmael Beah's childhood to be lost.

Beah starts out as a quiet, peace-loving boy who suddenly is on the run from all the destruction and terror with his older brother, Junior, and some friends. After months of wandering on paths and in the forest, they come to a farm outside of a village. Beah finds out his family is in the village and as a group they start walking. Then the rebels attack and his family is dead.

Torn, tired, and angry, Beah will eventually lose everything he cared about; his family, his health (both mentally and physically), and almost his life. As a boy soldier recruited by the Sierra Leone Army he changes drastically. Drugs, energy stimulants, and other illegal acts (in the United States) cause him to kill without thinking, never even cringing at
the sight of death and basically causing him to feel almost inhuman.

A LONG WAY GONE is Ishmael Beah's memoir based on his experiences and the tragic events of his life. I loved this book because it was a huge eye-opener about the war in Sierra Leone and how it affected everyone, even children. I also believe that everyone should read this book at least once in their life time. Maybe then people can help those who have become boy soldiers or anyone affected by a war. Maybe A LONG WAY GONE could change the world, make it a more peaceful place; that is what I hope can happen.

Reviewed by: Rachel - The Class

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful personal account of child exploitation, Dec 16 2008
Amy (Mississauga, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Paperback)
Ishmael Beah's memoir about his life as a child soldier in Sierra Leone gives the reader graphic insight into the recruitment and use of children in armed combat. Without a doubt, Beah's narrative is shocking and disturbing. The first part of the memoir describes Beah's indoctrination into the Sierra Leone military, while the second half deals with his rehabiliation and journey back from the nightmare he has been living as a child soldier. Finally, he is deprogrammed at Benin Home, a local rehabilitation centre near Freetown, and he is selected to travel to the United States to both tell his story and become involved with the United Nations initatives that seek to end the use of child soldiers.

Beah's story is a an unsettling one; yet it also gives the reader hope that change is possible, albeit painfully slow. Beah also compels his audience to think carefully about who is "good" and who is "evil" in a world where all sides involved are committing atrocities. Beah's voice is articulate and clear throughout the course of his memoir, lending authenticity and credibility to his accounts. Recommended. [Amy MacDougall]

5.0 out of 5 stars We're damn lucky, May 2 2009
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (#1 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Paperback)
We're damn lucky to have not shared the same fate as the author. To be turned from a boy into a remorseless killing and torturing machine is something that is frightening on many levels. I am deeply moved by the author's ability to overcome his tragic story, which is just about as bad as it can get. But what scares me is how easily he descended into it, and how easily a country let it happen. It's hard to care about other countries when we all have our own problems, but this book just made it a lot easier for me to seriously think about ways in which I can help other children avoid Ishmael's tragic childhood. Fantastic book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Long Way Gone, Oct. 8 2008
Jeffery Newton "Diamond Head" (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
This true story definitely put things into perspective. I don't know how many times I've heard people saying 'things are tough at the moment', but belive me, read Ishmael Beah's memoir to understand just how tough life can really be.

4.0 out of 5 stars The true story of a child soldier, Sept. 6 2009
Ce commentaire est de: A Long Way Gone (Paperback)
Ishmael Beah. A child soldier. Sierra Leone, Africa, early 1990s, a country lacerated by civil war. This is the testimony of a child whose parents and siblings were killed. Life in his native village had been simple and carefree until then. Roaming endlessly through the forests with some equally unlucky children, all young, alone, afraid and uncomprehending, trying to escape the violence that changed their life in a matter of seconds, they all ended up being caught, recruited, brainwashed and turned into soldiers. They were drugged heavily to endure what they were told to do. And they did it. Lack of obedience meant sure death.
Ishmael Beah managed to survive. After a couple of years in the inferno, he was chosen to be part of a rehabilitation program and later on fate landed him in the USA.
The book, written in the following years, delivers the account utilizing the language of a child his age (at the time, he was 13). I have the feeling that some parts were omitted here and there (even if some graphically vicious and disturbing scenes were described), but this was probably done to define a line between seeking the sordid and getting to the gist of the matter, delivered through the voice of a child: condemning the atrocity of war recruiting innocent children and turning them into drugged up soldiers. A painfully sharp book. Heartbreaking.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Long Way Gone
A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah (Paperback - Aug. 5 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01