5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story of a different way of life
Published on Aug. 24 2009 by D. Claflin

3.0 out of 5 stars It was not too bad. Not as good as White Maasai
It was not too bad. Not as good as White Maasai, but fairly interesting.
Published 28 days ago by Animal Lover

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story of a different way of life, Aug. 24 2009
D. Claflin - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah (Paperback)
My Maasai Life tells the story of Robin, a young woman who left behind all of her belongings, friends, and family and entered a world and culture so removed from anything she ever experienced. Robin spends a year living in a mud hut with a Maasai family. She learns Swahili and performs daily chores like collecting water and firewood, cooking, and cleaning. This memoir is beautifully written and provides readers a glimpse into the culture and way of life of the Maasai community/people in Africa. For anyone who ever wished to, or is planning on, a similar sort of adventure, this book is the perfect preview into the life you should expect to encounter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure leads to satisfaction and helping others, Dec 1 2009
This review is from: My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah (Paperback)
This book should be available to every intermediate school classroom, as it demonstrates how one young woman who admits she was "not an ideal adolescent" and had a "rebellious urge" found the direction for her life in Kenya. Robin's book should also appeal to adult book clubs as it incorporates further discussion questions at the end. The telling of Robin's story weaves in the family values and the closeness and caring that is so powerful, and strength of Maasai rural society! A piece of my heart remains there.
Dr. Sandra Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Recollection, Nov. 12 2009
This review is from: My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah (Paperback)
Insightful story that really makes you consider what you are doing and why you are doing it. Reading this first-hand account helps bring the Maasai culture to life. I learned many new things and gained a new appreciation for problems facing many in Kenya as well as other parts of the world. Wiszowaty embarked on an incredible journey that most people like myself could never do. Her experience really should be read by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully moving and educational...beautifully written., Dec 25 2009
Lorraine G (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah (Paperback)
This is a lovely book with an inspirational message. Gives a stunning look into the life of a young woman searching for meaning in her life. She finds it...and wow!! what a story! I would recommend this book for anyone. I have had the pleasure of meeting this author recently, and she is even more inspiring in real life. This is, without doubt, a five-star book. Good for any age group.

4.0 out of 5 stars poignant story, March 15 2010
N. Straub "book lover" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah (Paperback)
After climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and visiting an authentic Maasai village, this helped gain an understanding of what life was really like in the life of a maasai woman or man despite modernisms in the world around them

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful & inspiring, Oct. 10 2010
This review is from: My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah (Paperback)
This book should be mandatory reading for all high school students. Perfect for teenagers and adults. Robin introduces us to a different culture in a way that makes you envious not to be part of the experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, Sept. 16 2013
Interesting author and fascinating story, as well as a shoutout to help make the world a better place. Good for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars you go girl, Feb. 1 2010
Anne L. Lumley (ontario, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah (Paperback)
an easy, entertaining read. adventure and personally transforming. satisfied my curiosity about africa. sweetly romantic, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful story of a personal journey, Sept. 11 2014
J. (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm not incredibly eloquent in reviews but to me this is a must read. An honest story from Robin of her journey to being a remarkable woman. I have been on a Me to We trip and have seen the differences first hand that Free the Children are making. This makes me fall in love more with the Kenyan people and the work they are doing. Assante sana, Robin

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING novel. So well written, Nov. 3 2014
This review is from: My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah (Paperback)
AMAZING novel. So well written, insightful, beautiful, and captivating. A necessary read for anyone who has thirsted for something beyond suburbia and the Western way of life. It completely took me back to my own adventure in Kenya this past summer.

My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah
My Maasai Life: From Suburbia to Savannah by Robin Wiszowaty (Paperback - July 31 2009)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57