I love this book! Forget buying bushels of fruits and vegetables and slaving away in the kitchen for hours producing dozens of jars of jam, pickles and chutneys. With the delicious, easy to follow recipes in this book you can make "just a few jars" in no time, perfect for my smaller household! The book contains regular strawberry jam recipes to exotic five pepper oils.
Published on April 24 2010 by Sheila Perl

3.0 out of 5 stars More recipes for water-bath canning please
Published 21 months ago by That Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Recipes to Use Year-Round, April 24 2010
Sheila Perl (Mississauga, ON CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Recipes to Use Year-Round (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for the casual preserver, April 11 2009
I. Dobson "Free thinker" (Thunder Bay, Ont) - See all my reviews
Although I am not a hardcore canner, I heard the authors being interviewed on the CBC and was intrigued enough to buy the book. In the short time that I have had it, I have tried about a half dozen recipes and was amazed at how well they turned out. There are a wide variety of topics covered from sweet classic jams to relishes and savoury toppings and, as advertised, all recipes are designed to produce about two to four cups of product. If you are a serious canner who puts up a years supply of relish in the fall, this may not be exactly what you are looking for. But if you are just interested in buying a few fruit at the market and making up a couple of jars of jam or chutney, you will find this book to be ideal. If you have limited space and time, this is probably the only preserving book you will ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, Dec 20 2011
This book has everything you need to know about small batch preserving.
There's only two of us in the household so it works great for us.
Plus if I want to experiment, it won't cost me lots of money nor waste a lot of food if we don't like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars More recipes for water-bath canning please, Oct. 17 2012
That Girl (British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
I am pleased with Small Batch Preserving but wish there were more canning recipes, particularly water-bath canning. It seems to me that a lot of recipes are for freezing which I feel isn’t efficient for everyone (not spacewise for me, at least). Anyway, I didn’t really need another recipe book to tell me that I can freeze my recipes. Also, there are an abundance of jam recipes. How much jam does one need? So, overall nice book but just not quite what I hoped for; I do like that it is a hardback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but maybe not for a beginner, March 10 2003
L. Allen "laraclucru" (Odenton, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This is an outstanding source of recipes for people who want to experiment with preserving and making their own condiments. I disagree that it's not a true "preserving" cookbook, but I will say this: if you are looking for a book with 500+ "canning" recipes this may not be your book. Also, I would caution those without a lot of preserving (or canning, for that matter) experience; the recipes work, but the cook needs to be comfortable with processing, etc. becasue the authors don't provide a lot of detailled instruction on it. It's very intimidating to work with hot jam, glass, boiling water, etc. if you've never done it before. This book provides the user with a good overview on how to process, but nothing too detailed. Also, they don't stress enough that users shouldn't alter recipes. If a recipe calls, for example, for whole strawberries, and the user slices them in half, the user will end up with more liquid than what the amount of pectin specified in the recipe will gel. So, you end up with a really good ice cream topping instead of jam! Oh well, try again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Feb. 21 2012
As a beginner to preserving I am inspired by this book of delicious recipes and ideas how to use them.Smaller batches make the whole thing less daunting and if I should not like a batch(not happened yet!)there are not many jars to use up or waste.
The instructions are clear and concise that even a total novice can have success. Marvelous!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars super cook book, Sept. 6 2013
really enjoyed the book, easy recipes very tasty and a large choice
easy to find ingrédients and not too expensive to make

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay., April 2 2013
Some decent recipes, although nothing I'd rave about to friends. Will work my way through the book in any case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Old-fashioned but decent, Dec 29 2012
Amanda (Ile Perrot, QC) - See all my reviews
Several good recipes, but the format is old-fashioned, and given the array of recipes, I certainly wouldn't call it a "complete" book of canning. I much prefer "Canning for a New Generation", but I've turned to this one a few times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could use a little work., Nov. 4 2002
I have made several recipes from this book, and so far, all of them have turned out very nicely (the brandied cranberry conserve is excellent). I do agree with the above reviewer that many of the recipes in the book are meant to be kept in the refrigerator, and are not really "preserving". When I preserve something, it's so I can get it OUT of my fridge or freezer. I love the unusual combinations and the variety of recipes, though some of them could be written a bit more clearly. For example, one recipe says to use one orange, while another calls for one orange, peeled and seeded, and another call for an orange, unpeeled. So, is the orange in the first recipe meant to be used with the peel or not? I also wish that the recipes all made at least two jarfuls (so I can have one jar to eat and one to save or give away), and that the instructions for processing matched up with the amount made (the roasted vegetable pasta sauce makes 3 1/2 cups and has instructions for processing quart jars).

The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Recipes to Use Year-Round