5.0 out of 5 stars Potty Trains AND Connects Reading to Real Life!
I bought this book for my son, and now have it on my wish list for my grandson!
Published on Nov. 23 2003 by Altmed

1.0 out of 5 stars I really disliked this book!
I hate to be so negative, but I did NOT like this book. Here are my primary criticisms, in no particular order.
Published on Feb. 21 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars I really disliked this book!, Feb. 21 2004
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
1) The tone of the book is strange to me. The author says things like "Ever since Joshua was born, he has been making wee-wee and poo-poo into his diaper, and I, his mother have been changing him." She says things like this over and over again. It seems like she is complaining about all of the diaper changes. And where's dad? Given the wierd tone of the book, you're half expecting her to launch into an attack on the dead-beat dad of this good-for-nothing kid that keeps wee-weeing everywhere and wasting her time. :) OK, I'm exaagerating, but its just a little wierd to me.
2) She actually uses terms like "a pee-pee for making wee-wee". We raised out son to say penis and pee, so this seems absurdly babyish to me. Something more neutral would've been better.
3) As others have noted, the potty is not a standard potty chair, but a pitcher with a handle. I don't get the point of that.
A much cuter book, IMO, is Joanna Cole's My Big Boy Potty. I think its more upbeat, less strange and more useful. And she even includes helpful potty training tips at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Potty Trains AND Connects Reading to Real Life!, Nov. 23 2003
Altmed (California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my son, and now have it on my wish list for my grandson!
Not only does it facilitate communication between parent and child concerning potty training, it's also a great way to introduce kids to non-fiction books, and books that are otherwise relavent to life skills, allows parents to potty train with some humor, but breaks the ice of embarassment for those who have a bit of reservation about how to potty train.
Not only does this book almost potty train for you, it also sparks interest in other books, and in reading. The copies of the boys' and girls' versions (I have both) were read until they were falling apart (and it wasn't because they weren't made well - we literally wore these books out reading them over and over again!)
This book, and paying attention to the signs of when my son needed to go, along with a potty chair, is all we needed to get him off to potty-training success! He graduated in record time! (He was out of diapers I think by about 20 months!)
This book is a MUST HAVE for any parent potty traning a child (Well, a boy anyhow - there is also a girl's version which I used with my daughter that is just as awesome!)
If I could give this book 100 stars I would! I think it ought to be given to parents in those hospital packs that hospitals send home, or given out at pediatricians' offices when kids are due for immunizations around a year old.
Reading to kids is something that I started before they were even born, and is SO important to their speech development, and to their language development. Having a book toddlers can relate to in real life helps them understand reading is more than just about 'stories' - it can relate to real life experiences as well!
My kids are grown, and I am extatic to see these books (the boys and girls versions) are still available for my grandkids!
Blessings to the author, Alona Frankel Thank you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A super little book for boys and their pottys, July 25 1999
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I love everything about this tiny book featuring Joshua and his new potty. To begin with, the illustrations are bright and eye catching. But the very best part of the book is the cler and simple language that the author uses to tell the story. As a first-time mom, I had no idea how to speak to my son about using his little potty chair or what to say about the fluids, etc., coming out of his body. I also found myself very frustrated at the end of a long day, cleaning up an unexpected mess or changing yet another pair of training pants. However, by using the language in the book, and repeating Joshua's mother's kind words about "accidents", I was able to keep my cool and not make potty training any harder for my son. It's nice to see a potty book that shows a child having accidents occasionally but still succeeding. It's also nice to have words to explain to a small child what the new potty is and not to be scared of it. I'm actually logged on today to buy another copy for a friend! Love this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It helps my boy's potty-training, April 10 2002
seattle "yqiu" (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
My 2-year old boy used to refuse to have his diaper taken off and sit on the potty. So I bought this book and showed him the pictures that Joshua sat on his potty and the picture that his Poo-Poo was right inside his potty. Then he was willing to sit on the potty like Joshua but was still nervous to make any bowel movement. So I also bought some cotton training pants since it can be easily pulled on and off and makes him aware of wetness of pants. It made him feel more comfortable than wearing diapers. If he was nervous, just pulled on his pants and tried again later. One day, he sat on the potty while watching Sesame street and made his first bowel movement in the potty. Then I showed him the pictures again and told him he did what Joshua did. He was very encouraged and making progress since then. Young kids like to learn each other, they might not accept what you said no matter what language you use but can understand the pictures.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't read this to your child., March 10 2004
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I found this book way far on the edge of what any parent would really want to teach their child.
The pictures are graphic, which for me is fine as they are nature (but may not be to all.)However he pees in something that looks like a bowl then a toilet. Also they seem to stray from potty training itself a bit. However the biggest part that bothered me was the reference to where you poop from. They refer to it as a "HOLE". Now I find nothing wrong with 'bottom' personally but even if someone was more inclined to use another word I would hear 'tush' or 'rear' but never have I heard hole. Often you here hole used in terminology as rude (ex: "shut your hole") I can't understand why the author chose to use a word that sounds more insulting the realistic or informational. There are many other book out there that teach the poitives and cover the same subjects in a better way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon a Potty-Boy, Dec 16 2010
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty -- Boy (Hardcover)
Potty training can be a very stressful time for both child and parent. Some children seem to take to the potty naturally. Others, like my little guy, seem to find the whole process alien and rather intimidating.
Once Upon a Potty-Boy is a tell it like it is book about potty training. It discusses the parts (in children's terms) and what is going to happen. It encourages and even takes into consideration that mistakes will happen. But, when they are ready, the potty will be there.

My little guy is one of those kids that has to understand the why and how of things. If he doesn't see the point of something, he simply won't do it. Once Upon a Potty-Boy shows him step by step and explains things in a way he seemed to comprehend. At least now he's willing to try the potty. That's a big step in the right direction.

4.0 out of 5 stars A gentle introduction to potty training, April 10 2003
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
My then 14 month old son received this book for Christmas from his Aunt who swore by the video when she potty trained my nephew, Joshua, 12 years ago. Now Trent is 19 months old and the "Baby Book" as he calls it, is a must read every night (along with 4 or 5 five other favorites). My son loves this book because it's interactive - he loves to point to his body parts, he loves to shake his head no when Joshua tries to figure out if his new potty is a hat, a flowerpot, or a birdbath, and he loves to wave and say bye bye to Joshua's "pee pee" and "poo poo". My husband and I love this book because we have been able to bring up the issue of the "potty" in relation to everyday life and it's not a scary or foreign concept to him once we begin potty training in earnest.

3.0 out of 5 stars My son loved it!, Aug. 19 2008
Jana Banana "Jana" (Newfoundland, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty -- Boy (Hardcover)
I agree with most of the other reviews that it's a little babyish, but we have to remember how long ago it was written and that times have changed. When reading to my son, I changed the name Joshua to Cody(my sons name), and I also changed wee-wee to penis. Every time my son sat on the potty he wanted it read, and now at bedtime sometimes(he's four now, well beyond the potty training years) he still wants me to read it. I think it is empowering to the kids. Let's them know everything is normal, everyone poops and pees, and he should be proud of himself when he does go potty.
I'm buying the "Once upon a Potty" book for my baby girl today. I'm sure it will be along the same lines of the boy book, but I bet she'll enjoy it when potty training time comes along.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever book and easy for toddlers to understand, Aug. 13 2000
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I bought this book after reading the positive customer reviews and the high 'average rating'. My two-and-a-half year old son really enjoys the book and understands the concept of "go sit on potty", but I don't believe the book has help him all that much. In fact, the first week we had the book I probably read it to him 3-4 times a day. Now when he's sitting on the potty he prefers "The Little Engine That Could" (no pun intended). It's been a couple of months now and he is still in Pull-Ups. I'm considering using the book in combination with a Potty Dotty doll or something similar.
Again, the book is well written and easy to understand but I think, from personal experience, it doesn't promote enthusiasm in the child.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsure, Feb. 12 2004
Victoria Kelsey "kerinda" (West Cheste, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I like the straightforward way the book explains the learning process behind potty training. However, I'm very put off by the "potty", which is, in actuality, a pot. Historically accurate, yes, but hardly applicable to today's world. My son, after reading the book several times, pointed to the giant potted tree we have in the living room, looked at me and said "Potty?"
Um, no, honey.
I also have started from a very young age with my boys teaching them anatomically correct words for their body parts. We use "stomach", "penis", and "buttocks" or "bottom". I really dislike the usage of the words "pee pee", "poo poo" and "wee wee".
I understand this is personal preference, but if your preferences are like mine, you should know.

Once Upon a Potty -- Boy
Once Upon a Potty -- Boy by Alona Frankel (Hardcover - March 30 2007)
CDN$ 7.95 CDN$ 7.55