5.0 out of 5 stars My first nefew will be born in july
I read the book and will be giving in to my sister in law for her baby shower.i had the girls version in 1984.we never knew they made a boys version. So happy i found one. I also have a niece born recenltly. Girls formher and boys for him. So fun. Good memories. Arrived on time and in tip top condition.
Published 1 month ago by Mel

3.0 out of 5 stars My son loved it!
Published on Aug. 19 2008 by Jana Banana

5.0 out of 5 stars My first nefew will be born in july, May 14 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic Potty Book, Jan. 4 2011
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty -- Boy (Hardcover)
I bought this book for a friend of mine who's having a little boy. I had to buy it as I had the girl one when I was learning how to use the potty. The pictures are great and hilarious, and its a book I never forgot. I highly recommend for little ones who are learning how to use the ceramic throne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon a Potty-Boy, Dec 16 2010
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty -- Boy (Hardcover)
Potty training can be a very stressful time for both child and parent. Some children seem to take to the potty naturally. Others, like my little guy, seem to find the whole process alien and rather intimidating.
Once Upon a Potty-Boy is a tell it like it is book about potty training. It discusses the parts (in children's terms) and what is going to happen. It encourages and even takes into consideration that mistakes will happen. But, when they are ready, the potty will be there.

My little guy is one of those kids that has to understand the why and how of things. If he doesn't see the point of something, he simply won't do it. Once Upon a Potty-Boy shows him step by step and explains things in a way he seemed to comprehend. At least now he's willing to try the potty. That's a big step in the right direction.

3.0 out of 5 stars My son loved it!, Aug. 19 2008
Jana Banana "Jana" (Newfoundland, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty -- Boy (Hardcover)
I agree with most of the other reviews that it's a little babyish, but we have to remember how long ago it was written and that times have changed. When reading to my son, I changed the name Joshua to Cody(my sons name), and I also changed wee-wee to penis. Every time my son sat on the potty he wanted it read, and now at bedtime sometimes(he's four now, well beyond the potty training years) he still wants me to read it. I think it is empowering to the kids. Let's them know everything is normal, everyone poops and pees, and he should be proud of himself when he does go potty.
I'm buying the "Once upon a Potty" book for my baby girl today. I'm sure it will be along the same lines of the boy book, but I bet she'll enjoy it when potty training time comes along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but better for younger children, June 25 2004
reestar "reestar" (Riverside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
My son was a very reluctant 3.5 year old when he finally potty trained. We had gotten this book when he was much younger and he did enjoy it, but as he got older it became a bit babyish for him. It's much more sing song than practical, but it is cute. I did not find it offensive, as other reviewers may have.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my second copy., May 24 2004
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I got one copy of this book that came with a potty that I bought from Babies R Us. I read it to my 18 month old once and then sat him on the potty. Within a minute's time he yelled "Pee Pee!" and low and behold there it was. OK so it hasn't happened since then but my son adores this book. Normally we have house toys, car toys, and going out toys but every since I bought it (just 4 days ago) it's the only toy we carry everywhere we go or else I'd hear "Potty book, potty book!" all day. I lost it last night at the supermarket and we went to sleep asking for it and woke up asking for it. Needless to say, I put in an order for it this morning.
Maybe by the fourth or fifth copy he'll be a pro at this potty thing:-)

4.0 out of 5 stars My 2 year old loves it, May 17 2004
"chw0773" (Lakewood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
Yes, the pictures are a bit outdated. Yes, the author uses "wee-wee" for penis. But it says right in the front that she recommends parents replace any words she has chosen for terms you, the parent, would rather use. (You don't HAVE to read a book exactly as the author wrote, you know).
Also, the white ceramic pot looks just like the white plastic pot that is inside our Safety 1st potty chair that I bought in May, 2004. Just take apart the potty and show it to your child.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't read this to your child., March 10 2004
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I found this book way far on the edge of what any parent would really want to teach their child.
The pictures are graphic, which for me is fine as they are nature (but may not be to all.)However he pees in something that looks like a bowl then a toilet. Also they seem to stray from potty training itself a bit. However the biggest part that bothered me was the reference to where you poop from. They refer to it as a "HOLE". Now I find nothing wrong with 'bottom' personally but even if someone was more inclined to use another word I would hear 'tush' or 'rear' but never have I heard hole. Often you here hole used in terminology as rude (ex: "shut your hole") I can't understand why the author chose to use a word that sounds more insulting the realistic or informational. There are many other book out there that teach the poitives and cover the same subjects in a better way.

1.0 out of 5 stars I really disliked this book!, Feb. 21 2004
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I hate to be so negative, but I did NOT like this book. Here are my primary criticisms, in no particular order.
1) The tone of the book is strange to me. The author says things like "Ever since Joshua was born, he has been making wee-wee and poo-poo into his diaper, and I, his mother have been changing him." She says things like this over and over again. It seems like she is complaining about all of the diaper changes. And where's dad? Given the wierd tone of the book, you're half expecting her to launch into an attack on the dead-beat dad of this good-for-nothing kid that keeps wee-weeing everywhere and wasting her time. :) OK, I'm exaagerating, but its just a little wierd to me.
2) She actually uses terms like "a pee-pee for making wee-wee". We raised out son to say penis and pee, so this seems absurdly babyish to me. Something more neutral would've been better.
3) As others have noted, the potty is not a standard potty chair, but a pitcher with a handle. I don't get the point of that.
A much cuter book, IMO, is Joanna Cole's My Big Boy Potty. I think its more upbeat, less strange and more useful. And she even includes helpful potty training tips at the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsure, Feb. 12 2004
Victoria Kelsey "kerinda" (West Cheste, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty--Boy (Hardcover)
I like the straightforward way the book explains the learning process behind potty training. However, I'm very put off by the "potty", which is, in actuality, a pot. Historically accurate, yes, but hardly applicable to today's world. My son, after reading the book several times, pointed to the giant potted tree we have in the living room, looked at me and said "Potty?"
Um, no, honey.
I also have started from a very young age with my boys teaching them anatomically correct words for their body parts. We use "stomach", "penis", and "buttocks" or "bottom". I really dislike the usage of the words "pee pee", "poo poo" and "wee wee".
I understand this is personal preference, but if your preferences are like mine, you should know.

Once Upon a Potty -- Boy
Once Upon a Potty -- Boy by Alona Frankel (Hardcover - March 30 2007)
CDN$ 7.95 CDN$ 7.55