Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

I love Scaredy Squirrel. I was updating some computers the other day, and -- to help pass the time -- I happened to pick up a copy of Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend. This little guy is so cute and funny, and I can identify with him because I've always been a bit of a scaredy squirrel myself. Scaredy doesn't really have any friends because he's afraid to leave his tree. It's a dangerous world out there, and a squirrel never knows when he might be set upon by a deadly rabbit, piranha, walrus, or even Godzilla. Then one day, Scaredy spots someone who passes his Perfect Friend test with flying colors -- a squeaky clean, quiet, 100% safe goldfish. It's time to put Operation First Impression into effect. It's a pretty elaborate plan he's drawn up which involves a number of objects, including -- of course -- his "Hello, My name is Scaredy" nametag, mittens to avoid the effects of sweaty paws, the creation of a careful distraction, and more. Ever wary of danger, he also has a backup plan to avoid contact with any potentially harmful creature.

As luck would have it, he's barely out of his tree before his handy little mirror reveals a wet, dirty, toothy dog coming up behind him. The chase is on, wearing Scaredy down to the point that he eventually falls back on his plan of last resort -- playing dead. Then a funny thing happens. The dog doesn't go anywhere. Eventually, Scaredy realizes that the dog is just looking for a friend, just like he is.

This is a great book for young children, especially those who tend to be on the shy side. The artwork is colorful, engaging, and fun, and the very entertaining story does a great job of teaching youngsters that you can't judge an animal (or person) by appearance alone -- and that you won't make any good friends if you're too timid to get to know those around you. The best friend you'll ever have may be the last person you would ever expect him/her to be.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A friend picked this up for our children. It is a great little book, and part of the Scaredy Squirrel series. Scaredy is a little neurotic, and maybe obsessive compulsive. Scaredy is afraid to have any friends because he is afraid of being bitten. So he spends his time alone reading, whistling, doing crafts, knitting and more. Then one day he spots a goldfish in the fountain in the park. The gold fish would make a perfect friend - he's clean, bubbly, quiet and has no teeth. So Scaredy makes a list of all he needs to go and meet the perfect friend: lemon for lemonade, name tag, air freshener, mirror, mittens, toothbrush, comb and candy. Once he is ready he heads out to introduce himself to the goldfish. He creates a perfect plan for how to get to the goldfish with the least exposure. But all that goes awry when he runs into a dog. Then his first big adventure begins.

This is a neat little story for children. It is a pity that Scaredy cannot meet Elliot and his gang from Elliot's Park. I'm sure they would have a great adventure.
on February 9, 2009
I gave this book to my four year old boy for Christmas a month and a half ago and he still demands that we read it every night after he brushes his teeth (that's a reference to something in the book). He is now at the point where I don't even read the book. He knows it by heart and he reads it to me. Even so, I never get sick of this story and the way it's presented. Very original and very funny.
on September 5, 2007
Scaredy Squirrel has to be one of the funniest children's books i've ever read! It has great illustrations, awesome text, and a hilarious story line. Scaredy Squirrel is great for teaching kids about trying new things despite fears! I just love this book and absolutely reccommend it to anyone, kids and adults alike!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 7, 2008
I bought this book based on the cover art, the book description and the customer reviews. I'm back to report that the book jacket notes are correct and the reviews are bang on! This book is absolutely funny, witty and carries a really great message about dealing with fear. You must buy this book for yourself and then share it with your kids. After all, you need to find out why Scaredy needed a lemon and a mirror as part of his Make a Perfect Friend Plan!
on August 6, 2009
This book is hilarious. I have no small children, but glanced at it as I walked out of the library. I then stood there and read it, and then checked it out so I could share it with my sons: aged 15 and 17! They loved it too. (I actually read it to my dog, though she didn't care for it.) I will have to buy this for the family just because we all love it!
on October 24, 2008
I have laughed out loud so many times reading this book to the kids. Scaredy Squirrel is hilarous to old and young alike. The illustrations are so perfectly matched to the crazy antics of Scaredy. You will love this book!!!
on March 17, 2008
This book is a charmer! Melanie Watt has created a wonderful, funny, quirky character! I teach a lower primary class and this is one of our favourites. We can read it over and over again. Highly reccomended!
on August 22, 2013
After a few times reading through the story our four-year-old grandson was able to get most of the nuances. The story is about making friends - always a good topic.
on January 30, 2011
This is another great book by Melanie Watt! The story is very cute and so are the illustrations! I need to get the rest of the Scaredy Squirrel books now!