To all the desperately sleep-deprived parents out there: read this book before you start trying to encourage your baby to sleep through the night, give up night feedings, or change other difficult patterns! Me. my partner and our son benefitted hugely from the guidelines and insights provided by the authors of this book.

The foundation of the book is that all...
Published on April 3 2009 by Second Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
all you really need is the chart at the end
Published 3 months ago by L.L.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect toolbox to make sleeping through the night easy for your baby!, April 3 2009
This review is from: Bed Timing: The "when-to" guide to helping your child to sleep (Paperback)

The foundation of the book is that all children go through predictable developmental stages, some of which are more ideal for changing a baby's schedule. Their basic premise is that parents will have the greatest success with big changes - including sleep "training" - if they manage to time it right according to these accepted developmental milestones. The idea is to pick the periods when the baby/toddler is at their most stable, so that they will accept change more easily.

I can personally say that this idea of timing is absolutely critical, and that regardless of what your sleep philosophy is (no-cry sleep solution, Ferber, Weissbluth, baby whisperer, etc.), the information in this book will make yours and your baby's life SO much easier. For example, friends of ours who did not have the benefit of this book tried to "train" their child to sleep through the night/give up night feedings at 9 months -- which is one of the times, the authors of this books say, when parents should NOT make any changes as it is the first big peak of separation anxiety --well, it was a complete disaster! Save yourself and your baby a great deal of anxiety, stress and desperation by following the timing guidelines in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for parents of babies and young children, March 25 2009
M. Seto (Ontario) - See all my reviews
This is the best book on sleep training I've read, and as the father of an 18-mo-old, I've read quite a few already! Lots of practical and helpful advice about sleep training. The authors are developmental psychologists and parents of twin boys and focus on WHEN, not just how, to sleep train.

I jumped right to the handy chart at the back to see where we are with our son and to learn about the stage he's in and the stages that are coming. One of the things I really enjoyed about this book is that the authors explain how sleep fits with the many cognitive, emotional and social developments that are going on in our little boy's brain. Fascinating information, and it helped explained so much of what we see going on every day. The authors are academics but they write in clear, accessible language. Their enthusiasm for the topic and empathy for other parents is clear; I heard them on an Ontario Today show recently as they took calls from sleep-deprived parents looking for good advice.

I would highly recommend this book to all parents. Other sleep training books will be helpful in finding the right techniques for you and your family, but this book will tell you about the best (and challenging) times to use those techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must read" for any parent, March 27 2009
This book reflects a century of developmental research that has documented a regular, stage-like progression from infancy through childhood. Finally this knowledge has been applied to one of the most distressing and confusing parts of parenting infants and toddlers: sleep. Written in a friendly and down-to-earth tone, the authors provide a fascinating overview of the developmental science as well as a highly practical how-to guide. This book should be required reading for every parent of a newborn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Sept. 12 2011
I'm a first time mom and a baby book junkie. My mom and husband are actually always telling me to stop reading books and just follow my instincts. While I do mostly follow my instincts, I do love reading books on baby behabviour, development, sleep habits, etc. I recently have been struggling with my 4 month old's sleeping and have been reading some books on sleep training- ranging from attachment parenting (which I've been doing to the extreme- think bedsharing, exclusive, on-demand breastfeeding, baby-wearing, etc) to the full on cry-it-out. While I was trying to figure out which way to go, I was constantly wondering about the effect of the training on my son's development. This book is just what I was looking for. It explains in a really simple terms and an easy to read manner what stages babies go through from birth to age 5. I love it and will be buying it for all future baby showers that I attend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sleep book on the market, andthen some, March 20 2009
M. Chivers (Kingston, ON) - See all my reviews
Finally, a book that tells you WHEN to sleep train. We read so many others that talk about techniques but no discussion of timing, leaving us frustrated when the techniques didn't work. This is the first that actually tells you when the best times are to try sleep training and backs it up with sound research. The authors clearly know their stuff -- they are both developmental psychologists and parents of twins --plus they know how to communicate the important stuff to sleep-deprived parents. Can't say enough good things about the table in the back of the book that outlines when to and not to attempt sleep training. Heard the authors on CBC radio last week and their advice to callers was fantastic.

Also, this is the first book I've come across that tells you, in an easily accessible and engaging way, what is going on with your kid's emotional, cognitive, and social development at every stage. I really enjoyed reading about our 17 month-old's inner world. Now so much of what he is up to these days makes sense.

As for the sleep, well, our son is no longer doing the 3-4-5 am wake-ups for milk and he's sleeping 7 to 7, thanks to their awesome tips. We are finally ALL getting a good night's sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars missing piece of the sleep puzzle, March 30 2009
Finally, a book that fills in the missing piece of the child sleep puzzle. The really nice thing about this book is that it does not judge whatever method you choose to "train" your child to sleep. Instead, the authors provide valuable information about your child's development to help you target periods that might be optimal for getting a return on your sleep "training" efforts. It's the lack of judgement and the digestible to the lay person prose that really makes this book work for me. Highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Ideas on WHEN to sleep train, Jan. 20 2012
This book proposes that parents attemp to "sleep train" infants at particular ages, on the basis that babies are more receptive to training at particular stages of development. It is an EXCELLENT book for parents trying to decide when to train and I have recommended to many friends. HOWEVER it does not offer any information or advice on sleep training techniques.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have in any new parents library, Aug. 22 2012
I am so glad I stumbled on this book at Chapters before the delivery of my son. Sleep training is not only one of the most important milestone to achieve with your baby but the method type becomes one of the most personal (i.e. cry it out or not). What this book does is put into context the TIMING of it all and why certain ages no sleep training would work and/or serve frustrating for both you and your child and when the best window of opportunity would be to achieve successful results. We as parents are already sleep deprived, why add on extra sleep deprivation and frustration in trying to implement sleep training during developmental milestones that make it very challenging. This book (out of all sleep books) explains the best and not so best times to begin sleep training. GREAT BOOK! MUST HAVE doesn't matter the method you choose.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need your sleep...this is the book, Sept. 4 2013
Love it! Clear and easy to read. This book charts baby development and recommends when to try sleep training. It works and it makes sense. I now buy it for all new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, Feb. 1 2012
This book is a must have for parents. It tells you when to sleep train, which the sleep training books don't tell you. I wish I would have bought this earlier

Bed Timing: The "when-to" guide to helping your child to sleep
Bed Timing: The "when-to" guide to helping your child to sleep by Isabela Granic (Paperback - Feb. 13 2009)
CDN$ 16.50 CDN$ 12.05