5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect toolbox to make sleeping through the night easy for your baby!
To all the desperately sleep-deprived parents out there: read this book before you start trying to encourage your baby to sleep through the night, give up night feedings, or change other difficult patterns! Me. my partner and our son benefitted hugely from the guidelines and insights provided by the authors of this book.

The foundation of the book is that all...
Published on April 3 2009 by Second Mom

2.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful advice if you've already started sleep training
Published on April 28 2009 by J. Geyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for parents of babies and young children, March 25 2009
M. Seto (Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bed Timing: The "when-to" guide to helping your child to sleep (Paperback)
This is the best book on sleep training I've read, and as the father of an 18-mo-old, I've read quite a few already! Lots of practical and helpful advice about sleep training. The authors are developmental psychologists and parents of twin boys and focus on WHEN, not just how, to sleep train.

I jumped right to the handy chart at the back to see where we are with our son and to learn about the stage he's in and the stages that are coming. One of the things I really enjoyed about this book is that the authors explain how sleep fits with the many cognitive, emotional and social developments that are going on in our little boy's brain. Fascinating information, and it helped explained so much of what we see going on every day. The authors are academics but they write in clear, accessible language. Their enthusiasm for the topic and empathy for other parents is clear; I heard them on an Ontario Today show recently as they took calls from sleep-deprived parents looking for good advice.

I would highly recommend this book to all parents. Other sleep training books will be helpful in finding the right techniques for you and your family, but this book will tell you about the best (and challenging) times to use those techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Sept. 12 2011
I'm a first time mom and a baby book junkie. My mom and husband are actually always telling me to stop reading books and just follow my instincts. While I do mostly follow my instincts, I do love reading books on baby behabviour, development, sleep habits, etc. I recently have been struggling with my 4 month old's sleeping and have been reading some books on sleep training- ranging from attachment parenting (which I've been doing to the extreme- think bedsharing, exclusive, on-demand breastfeeding, baby-wearing, etc) to the full on cry-it-out. While I was trying to figure out which way to go, I was constantly wondering about the effect of the training on my son's development. This book is just what I was looking for. It explains in a really simple terms and an easy to read manner what stages babies go through from birth to age 5. I love it and will be buying it for all future baby showers that I attend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really a sleep training book, but interesting, Dec 31 2010
I enjoyed reading this book; lots of very interesting information on child development during different periods, and then how that might tie in to sleeping and sleep training. But just a note of caution: this is not, in itself, a sleep training book or guide. It tells you about development and when to work on sleep skills, but not much info on HOW. I would suggest to parents to buy this book first. It will provide helpful info and is very readable. It discusses a bit about each of the various sleep training methods out there. Once you've read it, then I think you'd be in a really good position to decide which sleep training book or books you might want to purchase, and when. For example, I've decided to wait until my baby is 5.5 months to do any sleep training. Overall, I would certainly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sleep Book there is. Period. And I've read them all. Trust me., May 22 2009
A. Ramsay "bookmommy" (vancouver, bc, canada) - See all my reviews
Just get the book. You will pick it up over and over and over again. Finally, no more guilt. This guides you through all of what your little one is going through. THE BEST.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful advice if you've already started sleep training, April 28 2009
J. Geyer - See all my reviews
This book advises different approaches towards sleep training, depending on the baby's age. This book provides an important perspective on what your child might feel about sleep/rest/alone time. If you haven't already started sleep training, this book might be useful because it will suggest what sleep training method is appropriate to start with- depending on your child's age.

However, if you have already started sleep training and you think that it is important to be consistent, then don't buy the book. Otherwise, it just makes you feel guilty/wrong sticking to your initial approach if your child as your child progresses through the stages they suggestion.

Bed Timing: The "when-to" guide to helping your child to sleep
Bed Timing: The "when-to" guide to helping your child to sleep by Isabela Granic (Paperback - Feb. 13 2009)
CDN$ 16.50 CDN$ 11.91