5.0 out of 5 stars For a whirlwird of emotions...This book has it all!
Published on Oct. 24 2009 by Chantelle Lemieux

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book about hockey
Well written, easy to ready. Graphic in the beginning but kind of lost me when it went into his hockey career full time and not how his career was affected later in life by the abuse. Courageous Theo!
Published 9 months ago by Anna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For a whirlwird of emotions...This book has it all!, Oct. 24 2009
Chantelle Lemieux "C.Lemieux" (Calgary, AB, CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
"Playing With Fire" written by Theoren Fleury, far exceeded my expectations. Once I picked it up it was very hard to put back down. Whether you are a sports fan or not, you will enjoy this book. It provides a detailed look into Theo's life and both the positive and negative experiences that he encountered. It also outlines his experiences with sex, drugs, alcohol and abuse. It is also a story about an individual who fought back, an individual who dedicated his very existence to being the best he could be (both on and off the ice). For those of you interested in reading "Playing with Fire", you won't be disappointed!

If you are looking for a book written with lots of emotion and honesty, this book has it all...

To Theo:
Thank You for being strong and thank you for writing this book. We Love You!

5.0 out of 5 stars Survivor Man on many sad realistic levels., Nov. 11 2009
S. K. Richardson (Calgary, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
A good, imformative read of a gifted life yanked sideways. The present modern day ending looks good. Happy he is alive and clean to write such a poignant biography. Keep going Theo. You are on the path to freedom, keep going forward dear man, just keep going forward!

4.0 out of 5 stars TIME MACHINE!!, April 22 2014
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to read this book after seeing Theo figure skating in a pairs competition on CBC, it is where I think he and his partner skated to a song he wrote and sang. The story took me back to my drink rat days, figure skating practices, buying extra ice time, then coming back to watch my brother playing hockey, in another small town like Russel Manitoba. I grew up just 100 miles from the Saskatchewan/Manitoba border, and there were very similar things I was into, just like Theo and friends in the small town. The only thing I did not like was the frequent use of the "f-word", but it is part of his personality, so let it go near the front of the book. All in all it was a memory stirring, very interesting book, learned a lot of NHL tidbits I had always wondered about, since hockey was important in our life. Nice to see Trent Yawney mentioned, as he grew up across the street from my family, and I babysat him a few times. Yes, read this book, an honest story from rags to riches, then riches of a heart, how anyone can go home again.

4.0 out of 5 stars New perspective, Jan. 15 2014
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Kindle Edition)
This book certainly gave a new perspective on the junior and NHL hockey Structure. The author's honesty in sharing his experiences and perspectives made this book a very good read. The language had a raw appeal reflecting the author's voice as personal history unfolded. His ultimate willingness to step forward and reveal through this book and public forums just how wrong things can go when a vulnerable teen leaves home to play hockey provided some riveting reading. A book which is a must read for anyone with children, hockey family or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars scary scary, Dec 26 2013
Some people may take Mr. Fluery as being arrogant. I take it as being confident and now free.
Very good read very insightful.
One of the few athletes willing to speak his mind.
Glad to see an athlete speak out against the old guard.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book about hockey, Dec 13 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Playing with Fire, Nov. 8 2013
This review is from: Playing With Fire: The Highest Highs And Lowest Lows Of Theo Fleury (Paperback)
This was for my husband, and he said it was a dark book. How it was written he said he could feel the pain Theo was going through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 18 2013
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
This was a wonderful story. My family and I had the opportunity to meet Theo at a horse race. After meeting him, I ordered the book as soon as I could. This story is deep, heart wrenching, and totally relateable. I loved this book so much. My entire family has read it - my mom, dad, and brother - and we all enjoyed it for different reasons. You don't have to love hockey to love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, May 23 2013
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
This was a great book so much interesting things in it, I could not put the book down until the last page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Theo Fleury, April 2 2013
Painful, funny, disturbing, joyful and excellent. I would love the opportunity to meet Mr. Fleury and thank him for generously sharing the intimacy of his life with people like myself. Me too Theo.
Graham