5.0 out of 5 stars For a whirlwird of emotions...This book has it all!
Published on Oct. 24 2009 by Chantelle Lemieux

3.0 out of 5 stars still bitter
I am not a real fan of professional hockey so Fleury's book was an eye opener. The reader gets a behind the scenes look at the world that many hockey players live as a result of having too much success and too much money at such a young age.
Fleury comes across as New Year's fireworks: new, dramatic, awesome, colourful, and wasted.
The abuse that he...
Published on Jan. 7 2010 by H. W. Cole

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For a whirlwird of emotions...This book has it all!, Oct. 24 2009
Chantelle Lemieux "C.Lemieux" (Calgary, AB, CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
"Playing With Fire" written by Theoren Fleury, far exceeded my expectations. Once I picked it up it was very hard to put back down. Whether you are a sports fan or not, you will enjoy this book. It provides a detailed look into Theo's life and both the positive and negative experiences that he encountered. It also outlines his experiences with sex, drugs, alcohol and abuse. It is also a story about an individual who fought back, an individual who dedicated his very existence to being the best he could be (both on and off the ice). For those of you interested in reading "Playing with Fire", you won't be disappointed!

If you are looking for a book written with lots of emotion and honesty, this book has it all...

To Theo:
Thank You for being strong and thank you for writing this book. We Love You!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Nov. 28 2009
M. Toner (SK, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
Picked this book up and literally could not put it down. Seven hours and I read it cover to cover. Theoren's story of self destuction, and then healing with pull your heart through every emotion along the way. Not that organized of a book as far as the storyline jumping around, but that just shows that Theo is pouring his heart onto the page and overflowing with emotion as he revisits the extreme highs and the scary, dark lows of his life. More spefically his battle with addiction. I am currently battling alcoholism myself and have taken so much good from this book to help me on my journey from this point on. Whether you are man, women, addict, recovered addict, or just a curious hockey fan, you will find this book truly inspiring. Also gives you a peek into some of the dirty politics that goes on in all pro sport leagues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survivor Man on many sad realistic levels., Nov. 11 2009
S. K. Richardson (Calgary, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
A good, imformative read of a gifted life yanked sideways. The present modern day ending looks good. Happy he is alive and clean to write such a poignant biography. Keep going Theo. You are on the path to freedom, keep going forward dear man, just keep going forward!

5.0 out of 5 stars Playing With Fire: b;y Theoren Fleury, Nov. 27 2009
Connie Burton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
This is the best book I have read in a very long time. Of course, be prepared it is written how a hockey player talks so there is swearing in it, but from my perspective it made it more realistic. He writes it from the heart and it is not a poor me book either. I found it quite hilarious and laughed quite a lot throughout the book. It is also a book that will help a lot of people heal. I think both females and males will get a very healing message from his experiences on many levels no matter whether they experienced bullying, sexual harassment, rape or abuse they will be helped if they are ready. They will laugh through the book because there are great hockey stories as well. I loved this book and plan to read it again. I have recommended to many hockey fans even those who have had not had any abuse in their lives because it is a great motivational hockey book as well. I have seen another side to a great hockey star.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't put it down!, Nov. 6 2009
J. Wildeman (Winnipeg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
By far, one of the most interesting, heartbreaking, funny and down to earth books I have ever read. You feel like Theo is sitting on the couch beside you telling the story. This man has been through hell and back and has finally found peace.

3.0 out of 5 stars still bitter, Jan. 7 2010
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
The abuse that he suffered and that eventually consumes his success really started in the family home that left him open to a predator.
I give him high praise for his honesty and for shining a much needed light into the dirty corners of sexual abuse.
My only real complaint is that his vocabulary is limited to locker room talk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read even if you are not a hockey fan., Feb. 1 2010
C. Ronan (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I am about Theo's age and I too lived in Calgary and Southern Alberta as he did. I am not a huge hockey fan but I did watch a few Calgary Flames hockey games in college (1988 & 89) and slowly became a fan of the team and Theo. I didn't follow his career after he left the Calgary Flames and didn't know what to expect from his book.
What a fasinating life story. I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed this book although I found myself feeling bad (& sad) for him as he couldn't quite get his life on track. he was deep into his addictions by the time he made it to the NHL and throughout his hockey career. it seemed like he didn't have (or want) the help and support he needed to get sober. He came from absolutely nothing in a small town in Manitoba, Canada and rose up to the top of his league all while dealing with his childhood sexual abuse (by his hockey coach) and later his addictions to drugs & alcohol. He had raw talent and pure determination. He had it all and lost it all. Woman or man and a hockey fan or not - this is a great and inspiring story of one of Canada's greatest athletes. Thank you Theo for telling your story. "Don't give up before the miracle" are definately words to live by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely A Page Turner!, Nov. 19 2009
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
An absolute must read! As I read this book it made me feel as though I was sitting at my kitchen table sharing a few beers with an old friend. Incredible story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming the Odds, Nov. 15 2009
Alberta Loewen "one Margaret" (Linden, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
A really heart wrenching story of one, very talented, individual who had to struggle through life's trials in a cold and lonely environment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire on Ice, May 10 2010
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
You have to admire a guy that can be this honest. Fleury does not pull any punches or try to make himself look good. Ironically he does think highly of himself, often calling himself an "elite athlete." However he also talks honestly about his problems, primarily substance use and various other addictions. Everytime you think he is out of it he fails again. His honesty can be depressing at times but it shows a very real picture of a tortured soul. But you end up wondering how many other NHL players were using illicit substances. Probably a lot. At times funny and other times sad. But never boring. He does not gloss over anything and this book is not appropriate for younger hockey fans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›