5.0 out of 5 stars For a whirlwird of emotions...This book has it all!
"Playing With Fire" written by Theoren Fleury, far exceeded my expectations. Once I picked it up it was very hard to put back down. Whether you are a sports fan or not, you will enjoy this book. It provides a detailed look into Theo's life and both the positive and negative experiences that he encountered. It also outlines his experiences with sex, drugs, alcohol and...
Published on Oct. 24 2009 by Chantelle Lemieux

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book about hockey
Well written, easy to ready. Graphic in the beginning but kind of lost me when it went into his hockey career full time and not how his career was affected later in life by the abuse. Courageous Theo!
Published 7 months ago by Anna

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informitive, March 9 2013
Was very intested in how the live of a pro hockey player with that skill can party so much and still proform at a great level

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Feb. 3 2013
This is an amazing, touching, often heartbreaking biography of one of hockey's strongest men both on and off the ice. It is a great read for hockey lovers and anyone who has interest in the effects of substance abuse, sexual abuse, or looking deeper into the human condition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite the book!!, Jan. 5 2013
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
Being a die hard Montreal Canadiens I wasn't going to read this book when it came out. Fleury not my favorite player, given his colorful personality on the ice and my hatred for the Flames after the '89 Finals. But got a new tablet for Christmas and seeing his book on Kobo for $5. I was anxious to see how new technology worked.

Overall, I liked the book. I couldn't read the chapter on '89 finals. Graded it a 3 as some details in there not fit for the younger reader. I don't understand the Graham thing. If he was abusing him so why would Fleury help Graham buy the Hitmen? When he would know Graham would be back in control of teenage boys again? Also, why go on trip to Disneyland with Graham? I know by time I am 14, if I was disgusted by Graham like Theo said in book, surely would not enjoy a vacation with him! Many oxymorons in there.

Hard to believe how Fleury could go thru so much money. Came to the conclusion main reason Fleury is sober today has to do with him being broke. He doesn't have the cash to live exciting lifestyle anymore. I just finished reading Derek Sanderson's book also, both players had similar fates. Both were once stars, then signed the big money, discovered drugs and booze, plenty of women, lived the life. Lost all their cash, found the lord in the end after many detox and rehab visits. Hope Fleury can continue his life like Sanderson. Stay sober, find a meaningful career after all this, and go on and help young people from same traps they fell into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of f'in but still f'in good, Feb. 25 2012
Flynette (New Brunswick) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire: The Highest Highs And Lowest Lows Of Theo Fleury (Paperback)
Theo fleury's book is really good. Altho he worked with a writer, u can hear his f'in words - and i do mean f'in this and f'in that - thru the whole book. But it appeared to be an honest, authentic account of cleaning up his life. I am not much of a hockey fan, and it was still a great book. I read it because he had spoken in our City to rave reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Nov. 28 2009
M. Toner (SK, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
Picked this book up and literally could not put it down. Seven hours and I read it cover to cover. Theoren's story of self destuction, and then healing with pull your heart through every emotion along the way. Not that organized of a book as far as the storyline jumping around, but that just shows that Theo is pouring his heart onto the page and overflowing with emotion as he revisits the extreme highs and the scary, dark lows of his life. More spefically his battle with addiction. I am currently battling alcoholism myself and have taken so much good from this book to help me on my journey from this point on. Whether you are man, women, addict, recovered addict, or just a curious hockey fan, you will find this book truly inspiring. Also gives you a peek into some of the dirty politics that goes on in all pro sport leagues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Playing With Fire: b;y Theoren Fleury, Nov. 27 2009
Connie Burton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
This is the best book I have read in a very long time. Of course, be prepared it is written how a hockey player talks so there is swearing in it, but from my perspective it made it more realistic. He writes it from the heart and it is not a poor me book either. I found it quite hilarious and laughed quite a lot throughout the book. It is also a book that will help a lot of people heal. I think both females and males will get a very healing message from his experiences on many levels no matter whether they experienced bullying, sexual harassment, rape or abuse they will be helped if they are ready. They will laugh through the book because there are great hockey stories as well. I loved this book and plan to read it again. I have recommended to many hockey fans even those who have had not had any abuse in their lives because it is a great motivational hockey book as well. I have seen another side to a great hockey star.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't put it down!, Nov. 6 2009
J. Wildeman (Winnipeg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
By far, one of the most interesting, heartbreaking, funny and down to earth books I have ever read. You feel like Theo is sitting on the couch beside you telling the story. This man has been through hell and back and has finally found peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Nov. 21 2009
Gary Bridger (Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
This is a great book ,it will blow your mind what this guy went through

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely A Page Turner!, Nov. 19 2009
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
An absolute must read! As I read this book it made me feel as though I was sitting at my kitchen table sharing a few beers with an old friend. Incredible story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming the Odds, Nov. 15 2009
Alberta Loewen "one Margaret" (Linden, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Hardcover)
A really heart wrenching story of one, very talented, individual who had to struggle through life's trials in a cold and lonely environment.

Playing With Fire: The Highest Highs And Lowest Lows Of Theo Fleury