5.0 out of 5 stars A parenting book junkie from Toronto
Published on Feb. 24 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Concept - Bad Delivery
There are many good ideas in the book and I think a lot of parents will find it helpful.

Published 9 months ago by Oreosncream

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A parenting book junkie from Toronto, Feb. 24 2006
By A Customer
What distinguishes this book from many other parenting books is its focus on the dignity of yourself, and your child, and the integrity of your relationship. "When your child is an adult, do you want them to have a strong loving adult relationship with you?" If your answer is yes, you might want to focus on your emotional reponses to daily situations that arise now, rather than your emotional REACTIONS. The principles in this book teach you how to do just that, helping you to create an emotional environment in your home of respect and love for other members of the family. It helps to make your home a place where people want to be, an oasis from the outside world. It has the added benefit of improving other relationships in your life as well and your overall sense of well being because it feels right. If your child could recommend one book to you, this would be it. As my 15 year old son commented when he saw the title, "Mom, since you bought that book, you have been so much nicer to us. I love Sarah Chana Radcliffe." (Son, so do I)

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book!, Feb. 17 2006
By A Customer
I am a real screamer, like my mother and grandmother before me. Reading this book has taught me how to break the endless cycle, and it will probably save me thousands in therapy bills for my kids when they are older. I wish my mother had read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The first parenting book you should ever read!, Dec 5 2006
Amazon Customer "Judy-NY" (Garrison, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
Make this be your first (and last?) parenting book! This would make a great gift to anyone with children of any age. I absolutely adore "Raise Your Kids.."--it's truly the best parenting book I've ever read, and I've read many. Everything in this book that I've tried works--go figure! Seriously, one might think, oh, right, another parenting book, how can there possibly be something new in this one that hasn't already been said before? True, Radcliffe presents ideas on limit-setting and emotional coaching that are similar to "How to Talk so Kids will Listen" (one of the first parenting books I ever read), but what makes this book so special is its emphasis on building the right relationship with your child, using the 80% positive vs. 20% negative, envisioning the adult you want your child to become and encouraging those qualities you want him/her to have in adulthood. "Raise Your Kids" also addresses the very real issues of parental anger management and the importance of keeping your cool while disciplining your kids appropriately and respectfully, and, all in all, raising them to interact respectfully with other people. Imagine a world in which everyone spoke to each other respectfully, without yelling! This is truly a superlative book. I keep putting it on my husband's bedside table for him to read, and then I keep taking it back to look at it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional book, June 3 2007
Orion (Roaches Line, Newfoundland Canada) - See all my reviews
I have read some great parenting books including "How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk" and got great parenting ideas. But still found that I was getting frustrated and yelling too often. This book addresses parental anger in a non judgemental but straightforward way. The disipline strategies described in this book are easy to implement and really help to keep the frustration level from escalating. Even before I finished the book, I was using the strategies. Evenings that could easily have become an excercise in frustration and yelling, instead became time that my children and I totally enjoyed each others company. I can now see that as my children enter the teen years, I will be able to teach them how to be respectful through respectful disipline. I have just finished reading it and I am starting it again and can see myself referring to this book until my children have grown. I am going to buy it as a gift for the new Mom's I know. It is the perfect "manual" for raising children in a loving respectful environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars an absolute must read, March 17 2006
By A Customer
This book is wonderful. As a therapist for street youth and the mother of a toddler, I am thrilled to have come across an antidote for poor parent-child relationships. This book is written in a style that's interesting and easy to read. I am amazed at how well the 2x rule works for my toddler. Even though he doesn't always listen to me, he now understands and accepts the consequences of not doing so! Before I applied this rule I just sounded like a broken record which was frustrating for both of us. This book is a keeper - I'll be referring to it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your Inner Compassionate Parent, May 23 2010
In Raise Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice, psychologist Sarah Chana Radclilffe recognizes that good parents are at peace with themselves. Her book is filled with self-care wisdom and constant reminders that there are two people needing support in the parent-child relationship. The child has the parent to provide guidance. But what about the parent? This, says Radcliffe,is a job for the inner parent. Parents need to develop a part of themselves that speaks to them wisely and reminds them of the relaxation strategies they've learned in the book.

"When all is said and done, one of the most important ingredients in the building of a healthy home is parental self control." Blaming the child doesn't work. It's the job of the parents to make sure they have their own emotions and behaviour under control.

This is a practical book with plenty of tips for parents to access their own inner compassionate parent. It is organized to help parents easily seek the particular information they need. Radcliffe provides parents with a remarkable guide to effective parenting.

Mary Armstrong, MSW, RSW
Author of Confessions of a Trauma Therapist: A Memoir of Healing and Transformation
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed our lives!, Jan. 3 2012
This review is from: Raise Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice (Paperback)
This book literally changed our lives. After struggling with a strong willed 3 1/2 year old boy, my husband and I were at our wits end. I bought this book and devoured it, we started implementing the ideas and suggestions and right away we saw a difference. We still have our tough days, but this book helped us see where we as the parents were making the mistakes and how to correct them, which in turn makes the child much easier to handle. It's definitley made a change in our household! If you find yourself blowing up and yelling at your kids and then feeling guilty and beating yourself up afterwards and want to break that cycle, then this book is for you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Concept - Bad Delivery, Oct. 8 2013
This review is from: Raise Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice (Paperback)

I didn't like the way the author suggesting talking down to kids. I did not like the writing style of this book. Quite Simply it just wasn't for me but I do think it can benefit others so I will be donating this book to the local library. There was little humour in the book and the examples of how you can easily traumatize your child were daunting to read and over-exaggerated in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars practical and great, Jan. 27 2012
This review is from: Raise Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice (Paperback)
This book is so practical and so clever and so kid-friendly and so parent-friendly. Love the emphases on positive talk and communication. Very useful and practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should read this book, Jan. 24 2012
This review is from: Raise Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice (Paperback)
I usually never write reviews, but this is honestly a life changing book. If us as parents are willing to change the way we talk, think and express ourselves to help our kids throghout their lives, we must read this book. Its easy to read and techniques are easy to understand, although it takes courage and patiente to apply them. Happy and confident parents will raise happy and confident kids.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Raise Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice
Raise Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice by Sarah Radcliffe (Paperback - Feb. 13 2009)
CDN$ 16.50 CDN$ 11.91