Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 16, 2012
I found this book to be a charming and fascinating account of beer in Canada. Pashley's writing style will elicit many chuckles and guffaws. His brief history and description of prohibition in Canada explains a lot about our goofy liquour laws and modern day attitudes towards alcohol. I share his distaste of the foreign owned "big three" breweries dominating the industry today and refuse to buy their products out of principle. The fact that these three breweries jointly own "The Beer Store" in Ontario is frankly criminal. It's unbelievable that a provincial government allows such a blatant foreign oligopoly to flourish.
Contrary to another reviewer's comment, I thought Pashley's comments about Toronto were rather deprecating in a humourous way. I recently visited Toronto and couldn't find a decent IPA anywhere. I know from various websites that Toronto has many craft breweries. However, most of the regular pubs there seem to only have a wide selection of beers courtesy of Anheuser-Busch InBev (yes I mean Stella, Beck's, Bodington's, etc.). When I asked for an IPA, the barkeeps would look at me puzzled and say, "we have Keith's".
If you like craft beer, you'll love this book. If not, perhaps you'll learn to appreciate the efforts of hard working Canadians and stop supporting the foreign brewers.
on April 13, 2011
Pashley obviously loves his beer, and other beer lovers can share his enthusiasm for this great beverage. Full of anecdotes about the history of drinking in Canada, this book will have you laughing out loud in passages.

A valuable addition to the body of literature on 'Canadian culture.'
on March 18, 2012
Do you want to know more about the history of Beer in Canada? This is the perfect book to do just that. I couldn't put it down!!!
on March 25, 2010
The first half of the book is full of history and knowledge of beer in Canada mixed in the the authors two cents.
I find it difficult to believe that this book should ever be considered humorous due to the dryness of the author.
The second half of the book soon becomes a journal full of the authors opinions of cask conditioned ail, and travels of this great country we live in.
He is very much in love with the city of Toronto he lives in and it is defiantly shown throughout the entire novel.
All in all a good read, a more apropreate title of the book should be CHEERS to Nicholas Pashley in Canada