Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: HardcoverChange

on January 27, 2014
This is a great book for anyone who is interested in understanding Afghanistan and the history that lead to the challenges the country is facing at this very crucial moment in history. It has a wonderful cats of characters and view the country across a number of sectors from politics and culture.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2011
My last name obviously outs me, so I declare my bias up front. Chris and I are family. But it's to your credit and benefit that you're still reading because this book is a nascent piece of history. I highly recommend it for anyone with a real interest in one of the most important multi-national efforts of the last decade. It takes you behind the scenes and it's frank. Chris has consistently championed the Afghan people. But his solicitation in this work is mild. Instead he presents facts as an insider. He takes us on a journey of achievements and setbacks and leaves room for the reader to form opinions. The richness of the history is also sweetened by personal anecdotes. He gives you a deep understanding of the political and historical landscape, then takes you with him on a wild slide down a glacier! I would not be suprised if this book shows up on University reading lists. I would not be suprised if this book will be referenced a century from now as the best Great Game histories and memoirs are today.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse