countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

• Room

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on July 8, 2016
Mehhh - really really too long, dull and difficult to get through - not because of the subject matter but because it was written in a manner that grates on and eventually loses the reader. I skipped over very large parts of this story and was really sorry I bothered to even start the book. Can not believe the awards won by this or that anyone went to the trouble of making a movie based on this book.
on April 22, 2016
I do not want to see the movie because I found the story too depressing and upsetting. However it was insightful and shows the strength of the human spirit to survive and the depth of a Mother's love.
on April 5, 2016
I am Two thirds into the book now and have been compelled to review it because certain aspects of it need to be mentioned For a story that deals with captivity and escape ,it failed to deliver in these portions ....there was no punch to the most expected scene in the story. It went flat. Since this type of story has very few similar works to be compared with, various readers and their reactions have been polarised. What is glaringly obvious is that the author should have told it from the perspective of the mother. The endless child talk[ so precocious to be unbelievable] takes away from the narration and I was skipping paragraphs to try and get to the meaningful parts. Somehow I was not able to empathise with the characters nor was I drawn into the story which I think is due to the narrative style and lack of detailing of the protagonist's life to give weight to her predicament. Even plain documentation of events would have achieved what the author has failed to do. A little spoiler here----How could the mother take such a risk with the life of her child in order to escape. So many aspects of this were glossed over.
A total let down from such a widely acclaimed book!
on April 19, 2016
I really wanted to like this book. Maybe because of its notoriety, I was expecting too much, but I found it tedious and boring. The only part of the book that I liked was when Jack escapes.
on October 19, 2015
Found their daily description of their daily life too tediousThe boy's coping with the outside was interesting.The mother's suicide was a complete surprise to me.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2015
This was the most disappointing book I have ever read. I actually returned my copy, something I have never done before.
on April 21, 2015
Difficulty understanding
on March 9, 2011
I,like many others, bought this book on the strength of the reviews. I heard the author interviewed and the premise sounded promising. Unfortunately the book did not work for me. I did not buy into the the five year old's perspective. Far too many inconsistentcies in how his perception was presented. Further, I didn't find the reactions of either the boy or the mother believable, there was little or no dramatic tension. The escape and the suicide attempt both left me flat. I won't comment on the breast feeding because I've seen that many others have already. In the end I gave up with only about 20 pages to go. Why? Because I found that I didn't really care what happened I just wanted to be done. Wish it could have lived up to the hype but not even close.
on February 16, 2011
This book was cleverly written, I understand how some readers thought it a good book to read, but I did not like the subject matter and and found it easy to put down.
on February 1, 2011
It's a great book and smoothly written... but not for everyone. I am claustrophobic and could not handle the constant feeling that as the little boy grew, the walls were closing in. It is one of the few books I have not finished reading, but I passed it to someone who is enthusiastic to read it... I hope others will still read it.