countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

• Room

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 29, 2016
I enjoyed the basic concept of this book. The book somewhat focused on Jack's mom doing the best that she could teaching Jack in the confines of "Room". I think this happened, but Jack's extensive vocabulary alternating with his younger than a five year old speech was confusing. I just didn't get it. Also, without giving too much away I was a little disturbed by the author's focus on the left breast being "creamy" & "yum". Far too much time spent describing this. Other than that I did enjoy the book.
One other thing that I found distracting was that two separate people would be speaking in the same paragraph. I was taught in school that this doesn't happen & is grammatically incorrect and I am not making a living writing books.
Jack is the narrator of `Room'. Jack is excited by his fifth birthday, is curious about the world and full of energy. But Jack's physical world is contained within an 11 by 11 foot space called Room where he and his Ma live. This is Jack's world: the room and its contents, and his mother. Because we are viewing this world through Jack's eyes, we are protected in part from his mother's awful reality. Jack recounts what he sees and experiences and the reader knows the situation that Jack and his Ma are in. But Jack does not: this is his life and this is the only world he knows.

In Jack's world, he has songs and stories. He has a snake made from egg shells, and a maze made from toilet roll inserts. He has the unreal world of television which he sometimes watches in unlimited amounts when Ma doesn't get out of bed. For Jack, these are the days `when Ma is gone'.

One day Ma tells Jack that there is a world outside Room. And this becomes the beginning of another story, one which is best read uninfluenced by reviews and story synopses.

I added this book to my reading list because it is on the Man Booker 2010 longlist. I had some misgivings about reading it given the subject matter but once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I would have found it unbearable if it was written from the perspective of Ma. Our view, through Jack's eyes, is more focussed on the relationship between son and mother than on the situation itself. The book ends, but the story isn't over.

It's like a crater, a hole where something happened.'

Jennifer Cameron-Smith
0Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2016
Told from the perspective of a 5 year old, this book was a page turner. I thought it might drag but it did not! I found myself thinking of the 2 main characters when I wasn't reading. Would highly recommend. I haven't seen the movie yet but I will!
on May 6, 2016
This was a very gripping story told by a 5 yr. old boy talking about the only world he knows - living with his mom as captives of a psychotic man for all of his life in one small room, a garden shed. Interesting to hear what his thoughts and perspective were of his surroundings and his daily life. Not understanding that they were prisoners, he enjoyed himself and was happy, thanks to the love and determination of his mother. She devoted all her energy teaching him language, math, science, etc. and made sure they exercised routinely. I found it hard to put the book down, hoping that she would finally figure out how to get them out of there safely. The last part of the book seemed to go too fast though, as if the author needed to finally end the story and she moved the plot along quickly. But all in all it was a very interesting read.
on July 8, 2016
Mehhh - really really too long, dull and difficult to get through - not because of the subject matter but because it was written in a manner that grates on and eventually loses the reader. I skipped over very large parts of this story and was really sorry I bothered to even start the book. Can not believe the awards won by this or that anyone went to the trouble of making a movie based on this book.
on August 8, 2014
Inconsistent use of language that is supposedly the child's story from that perspective. If you are not put off by the writer's lack of knowledge on 4 - 5 year old speech and thought processes, the story is a good one.
on June 7, 2016
This book wrecked me. I don't read very often, but I finished this book in 3 days. I could not get enough. I fell in love with Jack, and the relationship he has with his Ma, right away. Emma Donoghue did a fantastic job at using Jack's five year old voice as the narration, without dumbing it down. Absolute genius. I don't know how she got into the mind of a 5 year old that has never experienced the outside world, but she did. An outstanding page turner.
on May 11, 2016
This is a book that stays with you for years after. The book is told through Jacks Character which looks at a horrible situation with an innocent film. Emma Donoghue does a great job at telling the story without putting importance on Nick. This is a must read for anyone who likes a through provoking book.
on November 2, 2015
I got this audiobook from the library and it is one of the best I have ever listened to. The performance in the key role of Jack is just outstanding and everyone else is also very good. The book itself is extremely affecting to the point I was thinking about the characters and worrying about them as if they were real people. Highly recommended. I had put off listening to it for years because of worry about the subject matter being too distressing but that was unwarranted.
on June 4, 2016
I didn't want to read this book. The subject did not appeal to me as a book. However, it was chosen by my Bookclub. I didn't think I would enjoy it at all. Now all I can say is -- WOW! Was I wrong. I found myself reading it straight through. Could not put it down. Highly recommend it.