5.0 out of 5 stars `We're like people in a book, and he won't let anybody else read it.'
Jack is the narrator of `Room'. Jack is excited by his fifth birthday, is curious about the world and full of energy. But Jack's physical world is contained within an 11 by 11 foot space called Room where he and his Ma live. This is Jack's world: the room and its contents, and his mother. Because we are viewing this world through Jack's eyes, we are protected in part...
Published on Sept. 2 2010 by Jennifer Cameron-Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Something kind of special.
Published on Feb. 27 2011 by Stephanie Johnson

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, Aug. 2 2013
This review is from: Room (Paperback)
This book totally captivated me and I couldn't put it down until it was finished. I have so much appreciation for the author who wrote the entire story from the point of view of a 5 year old, and did a very believable job doing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, Feb. 14 2011
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
The title says it all. Probably one of the most disturbing premises, but yet, one of the best books I've ever read. kudos to the writer for having come up with such an inventive way to tell a story that the thought of it would normally send people away shuddering.
This book sucks you in and doesn't let go. The way you can't look away from a car crash. With a better ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something kind of special., Feb. 27 2011
Stephanie Johnson (B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
I loved the idea of this book. I have a toddler so I did relate to the mothers emotions and reactions. I got shivers and cried in parts. BUT... I hated how it ended. One of those books that just ends with no satisfying conclusion (for myself, at least). Besides that, I didn't get that distracted with the book being in the childs point of view like some of the other reviewers complained, rather I thought it added something special to the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Easy Read, Jan. 22 2011
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book! It is probably the fastest I've ever read a book. With the book written from the 5 year olds perception, it makes the story line much easier to take and gives the situation a very interesting angle that we don't think about when we hear these stories happening in real life. I have recommended this book to many people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful but disturbing, Dec 6 2010
Kadi Kaljuste (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
Room is the disturbing tale of a mother and son captive in "room" yet Donohue's treatment and voice in this novel is just right. Disturbing for any woman to read, even more so for a mom, but well worth reading. If you loved The Road (I did), you'll love Room too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Moments, Dec 24 2010
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
I bought this book first because of the hype surrounding it.

During the first chapter I stopped and wondered if I could or even wanted to continue reading. The voice of the boy(Jack) annoyed me the way he spoke in broken sentences and I know from my own experiences that kids at that age do not speak like that. Still, the writing itself was ok and kept me reading on with the promise that it would get better.

Midway the storyline kicked up a bit but in the end I still didn't come away with the feeling that it was much of anything. This is a book that I could have easily skipped. Still, it must hold something since so many readers are raving about it. However, I'm not one of them.

I give it 3 stars for effort but I certainly don't think it lived up to all the hype.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book. Keeps you wanting to read it, Oct. 18 2014
This review is from: Room (Kindle Edition)
Very good book. Keeps you wanting to read it. So sad to see how hard it was for Jack to come into the real world. Get to know your neighbours and find out what they are hiding. Should always be a dead giveaway but the police miss it everytime.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, Jan. 28 2011
This review is from: Room: A Novel (Paperback)
I just finished this book last night. I'll be thinking of it for a long time. What a beautiful, insightful novel. I haven't read anything this rivetting since David Adams Richards "Mercy Among the Children". It should have won all the book awards it was up for.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, July 28 2014
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
Really interesting concept and execution. The story is told from the perspective of the five year old boy in the story and the author pulls this off wonderfully. I loved the book and would recommend it to all my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Room is a Triumph of story-telling, Dec 6 2010
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
This is an amazing book. What really kept me going was knowing that Jack ultimately escapes and gets out into the world. According to the author, it is a story about a mother's instinct to protect her child from everything, which makes her a fierce and formidable character. In creating the 5 year old Jack, Emma Donoghue's ear is finely tuned to the darnedest things kids will say. I could hear the quirky things my own kids used to say, while trying to make sense of the extraordinary world around them. She took the extreme situation of a 19 year old college student kidnapped and held captive in a fortified garden shed, who has a child from a realtionship with her captor. The child gives her something to live for, and in turn she protects him from the horror of the situation by hiding him away in a wardrobe during the sporadic nightly visits of her middle-aged captor. On a daily basis, she re-frames the essence of the world around them to "fit" their situation. By the time Jack turns 5, she begins to have difficulty controlling his critical thinking skills, and he has a window on a "fantasy" world through TV. When he turns 5, she declares him old enough to help her hatch a plan to escape. Now the reader knows the intimate details of their lives inside Room, and we know how content Jack is there. We also know that some of the routines that help them survive may be somewhat harshly criticized on the "outside"; he's a breastfed 5 year old, with long hair like a girl, who prefers a pink Dora backpack. There is only one of everything, so everything is a proper noun: Room, Bed, TV, Rug, Toilet and my favourite: Meltedy Spoon. It is the ultimate survival story, where the captives when freed, are repeatedly judged and declared damaged by their ordeal, when the reader knows that they navigated their terrible situation quite admirably. It is a great metaphor for what humans are sometimes required to do to simply survive, only to find themselves vilified upon their escape. I highly recommend this book as a triumph of perceiving the world through the eyes of the sheltered but spirited 5 yr old Jack. He longs to see the beauty and goodness that the world has to offer, because his mother shoulders the burden of the horror. When he is free, he longs to revisit the sparsely furnished Room that to him is a nostalgic place that once overflowed with the what he holds most dear: his mother's selfless adoration and love.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

Room
Room by Emma Donoghue (Paperback - June 24 2011)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43