5.0 out of 5 stars `We're like people in a book, and he won't let anybody else read it.'
Jack is the narrator of `Room'. Jack is excited by his fifth birthday, is curious about the world and full of energy. But Jack's physical world is contained within an 11 by 11 foot space called Room where he and his Ma live. This is Jack's world: the room and its contents, and his mother. Because we are viewing this world through Jack's eyes, we are protected in part...
Published on Sept. 2 2010 by Jennifer Cameron-Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Something kind of special.
Published on Feb. 27 2011 by Stephanie Johnson

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, Aug. 2 2013
This review is from: Room (Paperback)
This book totally captivated me and I couldn't put it down until it was finished. I have so much appreciation for the author who wrote the entire story from the point of view of a 5 year old, and did a very believable job doing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, Feb. 14 2011
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
The title says it all. Probably one of the most disturbing premises, but yet, one of the best books I've ever read. kudos to the writer for having come up with such an inventive way to tell a story that the thought of it would normally send people away shuddering.
This book sucks you in and doesn't let go. The way you can't look away from a car crash. With a better ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something kind of special., Feb. 27 2011
Stephanie Johnson (B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
I loved the idea of this book. I have a toddler so I did relate to the mothers emotions and reactions. I got shivers and cried in parts. BUT... I hated how it ended. One of those books that just ends with no satisfying conclusion (for myself, at least). Besides that, I didn't get that distracted with the book being in the childs point of view like some of the other reviewers complained, rather I thought it added something special to the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Easy Read, Jan. 22 2011
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book! It is probably the fastest I've ever read a book. With the book written from the 5 year olds perception, it makes the story line much easier to take and gives the situation a very interesting angle that we don't think about when we hear these stories happening in real life. I have recommended this book to many people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful but disturbing, Dec 6 2010
Kadi Kaljuste (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
Room is the disturbing tale of a mother and son captive in "room" yet Donohue's treatment and voice in this novel is just right. Disturbing for any woman to read, even more so for a mom, but well worth reading. If you loved The Road (I did), you'll love Room too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Moments, Dec 24 2010
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
I bought this book first because of the hype surrounding it.

During the first chapter I stopped and wondered if I could or even wanted to continue reading. The voice of the boy(Jack) annoyed me the way he spoke in broken sentences and I know from my own experiences that kids at that age do not speak like that. Still, the writing itself was ok and kept me reading on with the promise that it would get better.

Midway the storyline kicked up a bit but in the end I still didn't come away with the feeling that it was much of anything. This is a book that I could have easily skipped. Still, it must hold something since so many readers are raving about it. However, I'm not one of them.

I give it 3 stars for effort but I certainly don't think it lived up to all the hype.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book. Keeps you wanting to read it, Oct. 18 2014
This review is from: Room (Kindle Edition)
Very good book. Keeps you wanting to read it. So sad to see how hard it was for Jack to come into the real world. Get to know your neighbours and find out what they are hiding. Should always be a dead giveaway but the police miss it everytime.

3.0 out of 5 stars The writing style bothered me after a while..., March 30 2012
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
This book bothered me. The story, in case you haven't heard is told from the perspective of a five year old boy. The boy has lived his whole live in a small room, 11.5 feet by 11.5 feet. And the story deals with the boy's realization that there is more to this world that what he sees on TV.

Based on this, I thought the book would be an interesting read. What I didn't understand is that the boy is living in this room because his mom (and by extension him) are held captive and that his mom gets raped on a repeated basis. This, I found very disturbing.

If I recall the press clippings at the time, the plot of the book was quite controversial. Having read the book, I now understand why and I do agree with much of the controversy. In spite of the controversy, I did not like the book. The writing style - while intentionally written in the way a five year old talks - gets annoying quickly. Then of course there is the disturbing nature of the story itself.

I'm glad I read the book because I can now I understand the controversy that surrounded it. My advice. Read the book at your own peril.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, Jan. 28 2011
This review is from: Room: A Novel (Paperback)
I just finished this book last night. I'll be thinking of it for a long time. What a beautiful, insightful novel. I haven't read anything this rivetting since David Adams Richards "Mercy Among the Children". It should have won all the book awards it was up for.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, July 28 2014
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
Really interesting concept and execution. The story is told from the perspective of the five year old boy in the story and the author pulls this off wonderfully. I loved the book and would recommend it to all my friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

Room
Room by Emma Donoghue (Paperback - June 24 2011)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43