biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

on October 8, 2015
Awesome inside from coach corner.
on April 16, 2015
Enjoyable and informative. Great addition to your collection.
on February 2, 2015
Good read
on September 8, 2014
Great Book!!
on April 15, 2014
I bought this book for my husband who's a great hockey fan. He hasn't picked it up yet but I decided to read it since I'm a hockey fan as well.

I love the way Ron Maclean keeps insisting he's such a humble guy! What a riot! There is nothing humble about him at all. He pretty much considers himself an expert on everything. The one thing he proves himself bad at with this book is writing. It's choppy and completely poorly written. If you're going to get help writing a book, hire someone who can write and let them do it. He hops from one topic to another with no rhyme or reason.

Before I read the book, I thought he seemed like a nice enough person on Hockey Night in Canada. Now, I wouldn't even want to meet him. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like him.
on December 23, 2012
This book gives an inside look into how MacLean started and the politics of CBC Sport and how popular and important Don Cherry is.
on November 24, 2012
I usually like biographies or memoirs. I thought I might find out some interesting "insider" stories about a highly regarded Canadian sport. It was surprsingly short on stories about hockey. It was very hard to read and seemingly quite amateur writing. Though MacLean claims he is humble; the fact that he's willing to offer up his personal opinions on so many other topics argues against that very premise. I wouldn't recommend this book unless you have a keen interest in broadcasting history.
on May 15, 2012
My Husband totally enjoyed the book . I have never seen him read a book until now. He could not put it down until he was done. He wanted to know how and what Ron did to become what he is today so the book was a hit. I ordered it hoping it would come in time for his birthday and it did so I was very pleased.
on February 15, 2012
This is a good book for discovering who Ron and Don are, their relationship with the CBC, and the fallout from Don's forays into sensitive areas such as the Afghanistan War, European players, visors, fighting, and concussions. I have a new appreciation of Ron and Don. Coach's Corner is the only intermission show that gets higher ratings than the game itself. They are a great pair and Ron does a good job giving credit where credit is due.

My favorite parts of this book include a touching moment in an interview with Canadian ski legend Karrin Lee-Gartner and her husband Max during the1992 Olympics in Albertville France. The couple were so happy in the CBC studio after Karrin won gold in the women's downhill that Max started to cry with happiness then Karrin, then Ron. It was a great moment.

Another great passage in the book comes from an interaction with the hockey world's infamous little leprechaun, Gary Bettman. Ron was commenting during a 1999 Western Conference final in Dallas in June that there was 80 percent humidity and 90 degree temperature and they were having problems with the ice. Bettman came to him asking him why he had to be so negative. Ron replied why do we have to be watching hockey in June.

A disappointing section of the book was the contract dispute Ron had with CBC. I think the book is too early in Ron's career to reveal the juicy details. Maybe a sequel when the consequences are less fatal.

Overall, Cornered was a pleasant read and would recommend it to any hockey fan.
on February 3, 2012
Why would an intelligent broadcaster such as Ron MacLean need a ghost writer to write this book for him. It has interesting stories but it is poorly written. The author writes like a high school student at best. I found grammatical errors as well. She used" it's" incorrectly when she meant to use the possessive form. Ron should have written it himself. I was surprised to read that he only went as far as high school however.