‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It helped me heal, Aug. 9 2002
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
I loved this book! Even though I cried through much of it, it served a useful purpose. After never wanting to have children, I had a revelation that I needed to experience the joys of motherhood. I recently had a miscarriage with my first and much wanted pregnancy. I was a mess. This book helped me get over some of the loss I felt. I still feel sad often but realize that I'm not supposed to "Just get over it, already!" The book was honest, sad, hopeful, real, and made me totally feel like I was not alone in my grief. I am hopeful and anxious to finish this book by reading the chapters about trying again, coping with a subsequent pregnancy and birth, and the other chapters I know one day I will read when I feel ready to embark on the scary but exciting journey of pregnancy. I also feel compelled to share this with anyone who has gone through the death of a child. Thank you Deborah Davis, Ph.D. for the gift of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book on loss, Feb. 2 2002
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
I have ordered many of the books on the loss of a baby and this is one of my favorites. I like its format and all the topics that it covers. It offers many examples of others who have gone through a loss, too, which helped me to feel less alone. Most of my questions were answered and she dealt with so many things I was feeling. I would recommend this to anyone who has suffered a loss or anyone who knows someone who has.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could feel my heart lift like I never thought I would., Aug. 16 1999
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
before I read Empty Cradle, Broken Heart, I didn't think that I could ever lose any of the heaviness that enclosed my heart. I felt as if I gained membership into a private club and I could take comfort in knowing that I wasn't alone. It was the first time that I had a sane thought after losing our daughter Kara Jane Kaniewski - April 24, 1997. I still take out the book and reread passages that I have read over and over. The book still helps to relieve my heavy heart. I have given this book to 3 other women who have lost their children and each one has thanked me. Unfortunately the cost to get into this book club is priceless, for you have to have lost a child or known someone who has to gain admission. I want to thank Deborah L. Davis for her gift to me and my friends, for I would have surely been killed by the heaviness of my heart and the emptiness of my arms. Please read this book if you have experienced the loss of a child. You are not alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Written for the heart of the bereaved parent, June 25 2000
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
Deborah Davis did something for me that I needed...she validated my feelings about the entire ordeal my husband and I have gone through. We made the agonizing decision to induce labor to end the pregnancy after our baby was diagnosed with a terminal birth defect. I have been feeling guilt, anger, jealousy, despair, and fear about the future. Deborah Davis touches on all these issues in this book. Interjected throughout are personal testimonies from other parents who have gone through a loss, so it helps to know others have experienced the same feelings. The author also validates the fact that a loss is a loss, no matter if the baby died before birth or after. This is SO important for the reader to be told, I know it was for me.
Nothing will bring back my baby, but this book has helped me throughout my grieving and healing process. I was hesitant about which book(s) to read, but now I know that I won't need to read anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Bereavement Resource I Found, Nov. 23 2001
Barb Archambault (Fulton, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
I read many books after we lost our son Vincent 10/6/01. Empty Cradle, Broken Heart was by far the most helpful. Deborah Davis truly understands the parents feeling of total despair. Empty Cradle, Broken Heart helps you understand that you are NOT going crazy --- what you are feeling is totally normal! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading for grieving parents!, March 30 2000
Jen Freedom Mountney (New Lowell, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
Empty Cradle, Broken Heart is an excellent resource for bereaved parents. Debra Davis takes parents step by step through the grieving process and helps them to realize that they are not alone in their pain. Reading Empty Cradle, Broken Heart helped me to recognize that my feelings were not strange and that it is okay to grieve for my daughter in my own way and in my own time. Chapters include: grieving and emotional recovery, painful feelings, affirming your baby, you and your partner, your family, and support networks. Debra encourages parents to realize that they did the best that they could for their baby. When you feel that no one understands the pain you are going through, read this book, it helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful Resource, April 24 1999
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
Deborah Davis has combined startling facts & bereaved parents feelings exceptionally well. As the Mother of a stillborn son 9/11/97, I find this book to be the best I've found to date (and I've read at least 20!) Ironically, the author indicates in her book that she is not a bereaved parent ... usually books written by non-bereaved parents are "just facts" and tend to be rather cold. Deborah, however, excells in describing the intense emotions we as bereaved parents feel after the loss of a child and has included excerpts from bereaved parents which offer comfort and hope, helping the "we're not so all alone" feeling of our grief. Thank you, Deborah.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was very comforting and supportive., Nov. 22 1998
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
I would encourage anyone who has suffered an early loss of child to read this book. My son was born still on September 22, 1998. A relative gave me this book during that horrible first week after his death. I have read it several times over past two months. It has been very helpful to read the experiences of other woman who have experienced this tragic loss. Their stories gave me some piece of mind at a time when I needed it most and for that, I am very grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on this subject, May 7 1999
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
If you are unfortunate enough to lose a baby through stillbirth, as I was, this is the book you need. Davis has done an amazing job of addressing the physical and emotional fallout of pregnancy loss. I did a huge amount of reading on pregnancy loss after I lost my baby, and I can tell you that this book is head and shoulders above anything else I've read on this subject. Thank you, Deborah Davis, for writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book that I've read, Dec 23 2001
This review is from: Empty Cradle (Paperback)
Out of the dozens of books I read after losing my daughter prematurely, this was the one book that i couldn't put down till it was finished. It was so helpful to me and to my husband. It was nice reading other people's experiences too. I found this book so helpful that i will be donating copies to the hospital where our daughter was born so other grieving parents can have a copy of their own. It's a wonderful book...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Empty Cradle
Empty Cradle by Deborah L. Davis (Paperback - Feb. 13 1996)
CDN$ 21.95 CDN$ 15.85