5.0 out of 5 stars Native American Tales For All Ages
Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I hadn't read it by the time judging was due as it was not a contender by that time and I'm just now getting to it.

Published on June 9 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars not a bad book
Published 4 months ago by R. Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Native American Tales For All Ages, June 9 2011
Amazon Customer (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Trickster: Native American Tales (Paperback)

I have to admit I was not exactly excited about reading this book. Graphic anthologies have mostly been a miss for me in the past and though I love myths and legends, Native American tales are not exactly my favourite (tall tales don't do it for me either). So it was with some trepidation I read the first story which I found entirely entertaining, as I did the next, and the next, and the next, and so forth. The book contains a total of twenty-one tales and I only found one to be "ho-hum", the rest were funny and amusing with a few on the more serious side but still delightful. The book itself is a gorgeous work of art with thick, glossy quality paper and a firm binding that will last repeated readings. The artwork is wonderful. Each story is illustrated by someone different and the various art styles create a gorgeous book to wander through. The stories are suitable for all ages both in text and illustration. There is no indication of intended audience and I recommend it for all ages. Adults will certainly appreciate the stories on a higher level than children, but the book is easy reading for approximately grade five and up, with the stories being entirely acceptable to read aloud to much younger children. A fine book, I'm glad to own! Wish I hadn't taken so long to read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Graphic tales for a classroom, Dec 30 2011
This review is from: Trickster: Native American Tales (Paperback)
I ordered the book from my public library to use with my grade 6 classroom. The graphic format was so fun that I began telling the stories to my students. They enjoyed them so much that I ordered the book for my use at home as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars a few good stories, just not enough, May 18 2014
This review is from: Trickster: Native American Tales (Paperback)
As a collection, the quality and style is different from story to story and some styles, I do not like. Some stories are more engaging than others, notwithstanding the fact that some are from a time when stories were simpler, I just di not find the book that entertaining and I am struggling to get engaged to finish it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a bad book, March 24 2014
R. Gray "Ridgetown Rick" (Ridgetown, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Trickster: Native American Tales (Paperback)
This is a graphic novel format - and has many stories from many traditions. I was disappointed, though, when I received it (I read it then passed it on as a gift) because I felt that the styles of the stories and the artwork were so different that there was no continuity. It seemed like a book that was put together with whatever could be found simply because no one had done this before. I don't know if that is really the case - but it sure felt that way.

The stories were interesting, but I have no idea who the intended audience is for this book.

If you like graphic novels (I do) and if you like native American stories (I do) then maybe it's worth checking out. Just don't expect coherence or even a GOOD story. I'm sure there has to be better out there (at least I would hope so).

Trickster: Native American Tales