5.0 out of 5 stars All-in-one project reference
Learn about project scheduling, risk management, and peopleware issues in this well written book. The example scenarios re-enforce the ideas presented throughout the book.
In the end, you'll walk away with a solid understanding of the project development cycle.
Published on June 5 2004 by Taddese Zicke

2.0 out of 5 stars Restating the obvious
I bought this book based on the recommendation of a coworker , who had the book recommended to him as well. Sadly I did not see eye to eye with him on this. The book was filled with 500 pages of obvious strategies and pitfalls that people should already know from common sense. Topics like leaving time cushions for error, don't higher people to work with people that...
Published on Dec 10 2001 by synfin80

3.0 out of 5 stars Marginal Instructor, Feb. 21 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules (Paperback)
I recently took an online algebra tutorial and I was amazed at how well organized, clearly and simply presented, and how thoroughly I understood and retained the subject of alegbra for the very first time in my life. Whoever put that course together gets a solid A+ from me. Most teachers and instructors, including books and courses, I've had over the years would get an F-Minus from me, including the high school algebra teacher; The vast majority of these dismal failures should be doing something else, seriously. That goes for two gifted guys Grady Booch (Object Oriented Analysis and Design) and jeffrey Witten (Systems Analysis and Design), two books I own; both who make lousy instructors. Both books are dismal failures; more junk for the bon-fire. I wasn't able to understand one thing they said and I retained almost nothing. Grady's approach is bogged down with one page after another of solid rambling rhetoric. Whitten fails primarily with the chart approach; the same vague, modified chart page after page. The approach just didn't work for either. Steve knows his subject of Project Development very well; the planning and development that must preceed any project. But I give him only a marginal grade of C for the organization, presentation, and approach of the three books I own: Project Survival Guide, Rapid Devlopment, and Code Complete. I was only able to grasp some of what he was saying, and I have had a decade of experience as a senior programmer-analyst with advanced training. The books are a little too unorganized to cement the subject. He does convey one very strong message very well: you had better prepare and plan properly before spending time and expense on system project development. I know firsthand the consequences of not heeding his advice. One company I worked for on the development staff spent many millions of dollars, years of time, and dozens of staff personnel, before outside field personnel complained that the system was way too slow. I will have to re-read Steve's books. I give him a B+ for content and a C for instruction.

ARRAY(0xbaf1b6f0)

Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules
Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules by Steve McConnell (Paperback - July 12 1996)
CDN$ 46.95 CDN$ 23.20