5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic narration by Curry!
I had planned to listen to this audiobook during the holidays, which I had borrowed from the library. When I received a free gift from Audible to download this latest version narrated by Tim Curry, I chose to listen to this edition instead.

Published 18 months ago by Darlene

3.0 out of 5 stars The ways of Scrooge
A Christmas Carol is a story of social conscious, where wrongs are righted and kindness prevails. Set in a time much like today: where poverty is widespread, being of the middle class is popular and a small population holds a large potion of the wealth. Social class dictates life, most lifetimes are spent in a single class and there is seldom movement within the...
Published on April 12 2002 by Megan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic narration by Curry!, Jan. 4 2013
Darlene (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Audio CD)

Ebenezer Scrooge is a miserable old skinflint who runs Scrooge & Marley, a counting-house firm in London, England. His business partner, Jacob Marley, passed away seven years before, and Scrooge runs the firm with an iron-first. His employee, Bob Cratchit, is given a hard time when he asks to have Christmas Day off to spend in celebration with his family. Cratchit maintains that it is only once a year, and Scrooge's retort is that it is "a poor excuse for picking a man’s pocket every twenty-fifth of December!" Although Scrooge reluctantly agrees, he demands that Bob come in the following day extra early to make up for it!

When Scrooge returns home on Christmas Eve, he is startled to see that the brass knocker on his door has turned into a likeness of Jacob Marley. Later that evening, he is visited by Marley's ghost. At first, he refused to believe that Marley was real. Marley's ghost is covered in chains attached to cash-boxes, padlocks, and ledgers. Marley warns Scrooge that he is destined to the same fate if he does not change his ways, telling him: "I wear the chain I forged in life...I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and my own free will I wore it." Marley foretells of the three ghosts that will visit Scrooge.

I read A Christmas Carol way back in high school, so this is a re-read for me. This classic still hasn't lost its charm. It is a heart-warming story of second chances and redemption, which makes it a perfect holiday read! One of my favourite parts of the story is during Stave Three, when Scrooge sees Tiny Tim's crutch and asks the Ghost of Christmas Present whether the boy will die. It is already apparent that the events of the evening have begun to thaw Scrooge's hardened heart.

When I saw that Tim Curry narrated this version, I was immediately intrigued because Curry has such a big personality with a booming voice to match. He didn't let me down! Tim Curry's narration was fantastic! He does an amazing job of bringing Scrooge's personality across in his narration, and I highly recommend this rendition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Beautiful!, Dec 27 2011
Rod Doiron (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of A Christmas Carol - bordering on obsessive. I've read the book 45 times so far and still look forward to reading it each year. You probably know how wonderful the book is so I'll restrict my comments to this edition.

I buy every edition that looks particularly attractive or unique and have dozens of them on my shelves.

This edition may well be the most attractive one I have. The illustrations by P.J. Lynch are beautiful and plentiful. I believe there are only three places you could open the book and not see an illustration.

It's a good solid book with heavier than normal pages and with a type font that is clean and clear.

Great attention seems to have been paid to the smallest detail including the stitching and book jacket. Look under the book jacket and you will find the knocker with the image of Marley's Ghost upon it.

I'm very pleased I bought this book. There are several terrific editions of this short novel available but I doubt that any can surpass this effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, Dec 22 2013
LMN (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Kindle Edition)
My favorite!!! A must read any time of the year! My children love when I read this story! Thank you Kindle!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Carol, Jan. 20 2013
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Hardcover)
Dickens is one of my favorite classic authers. I lost all of my books in a flood a couple yeras ago and have been trying to replace them. This book is nicer than my old one because of the illustrations accompaning the text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tale and good prodution, Jan. 3 2013
David Christopherson (Regina, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Audio CD)
An unabridged production of a classic tale. Well done. Would recommend it for anyone intested in a complete version of this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Carol, Dec 17 2001
By A Customer
A Christmas Carol is wonderful book that I would want all ages to read. The book shows how a man such as Scrooge can change and so can everyone else. The story is not like the movie. Charles Dickens does a wonderful job in making the story more appealing to me. The story makes me understand how life was like back then. (...) I hope people can change like Scrooge. I think Charles Dickens does a great job in using the events from different sources to show different views from the movies. People should read this book so they can maybe stop being so mean to other people and races. (...)The book gets five stars because this is hardcore lessons that we should be teaching today in the youth of America.I think the ghost of the story should come and visit some of the people here in the United States and in different countries.MAybe it is not to late to save the lives of others, if you can not save yourself. This book should be read in schools all over the world.The book has meaning and we should use this meaning to live our lives. The book shows me that everyone can change, including the most devilish person can become an Angel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - A Must Read!, April 18 2004
By A Customer
Charles Dickens's classic novel, A Christmas Carol, is his most famous and beloved story. Millions around the globe have read this touching book, about brotherly love and charity, since it was first published. Countless people have seen Ebenezer Scrooge, the selfish and unkind man, transform in to a kind and generous person by the visits of four mysterious ghosts.
The story begins in the afternoon of a frigid Christmas Eve, as a mean-spirited man named Ebenezer Scrooge sits in his office. Scrooge is a cold-hearted and selfish miser, who isn't in the spirit of Christmas. Every so often, he shouts, "Bah!" or "Humbug!" He doesn't even buy coal for the fireplace, so he and his clerk freeze away. No one likes him, and no one stands up to him. Dickens describes him thus: "No beggars implored him to bestow a trifle, no children asked him what it was o'clock, no man or woman ever once in his life inquired the way to such and such a place, of Scrooge." However, this is exactly what Scrooge wants - to be in his own world.
Dickens starts out the story by stating that Scrooge's former partner, Jacob Marley, is dead. Then, he reverts back to what Scrooge is up to. As it is Christmas Eve, Scrooge isn't happy. He scares all the carolers away, and refuses to donate money to the poor. When the day is finally over, he goes back to his house, and tries to go to sleep. As he locks the door, he sees an apparition. There is Jacob Marley's ghost - looking right at him! Scrooge is shocked at first, and still is shocked when Marley's phantom tells him some surprising news. The ghost explains that there will be three other ghosts yet to come: the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present, and the Ghost of Christmas Future. Then, he leaves.
As promised, the ghosts of the past, present, and the future visit Scrooge. The ghost of the past shows Scrooge how he used to be. Scrooge discovers that his life was somewhat pleasant, but still lonely. The ghost of the present reveals to Scrooge his more recent attitude toward Christmas. It shows Scrooge the consequences of his actions, most of which are to Scrooge's dislike. The ghost also informs Scrooge how other people are celebrating. Dancing, playing blind man's buff, and caroling aren't part of Scrooge's world for certain. The ghost of the future shows the time when Scrooge is dead and no one cares for him; actually everyone is happy that he is gone. Meanwhile, all of these visions have Scrooge sobbing in tears and he is finally ready to make changes in his life. After the final ghost leaves, Scrooge runs about his little town donating money, greeting people, and visiting his nephew and clerk's family. It turns out to be a very happy Christmas after all.
I liked A Christmas Carol very much. Charles Dickens's style is very descriptive. I especially liked the vivid verbs and adjectives Dickens used when he described Scrooge as a "squeezing, wrenching, gasping, scraping, clutching, covetous, old sinner!" As for Scrooge, I liked him a lot. The book was funny when he said something completely nonsensical like "Bah!" or "Humbug!" On a scale of one through ten, I would give A Christmas Carol a ten. It was enjoyable and interesting to read, especially over winter break, as it heartens the spirit of Christmas itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol, Feb. 18 2004
By A Customer
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is a really good book I thought. Your learn not to be greedy, selfish, and how to spread tons of love around Christmas. It teaches you not to take grantite of what you have. You should be thankful for what you got. The three ghosts of past, present, and the futer of Christmas. Ebenezer Scrooge is haunted by all the ghost plus his old friend Jacob Marley. This book is heart warmer to all or at least it should be. I hope everyone takes the time to read this heart warming book and enjoy it time after time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Carol to treasure for Christmases yet to come, Nov. 8 2003
Herbert T. Moskovitz "Herbphilly" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
A Christmas Carol Audiobook
read by Jim Dale
I once heard it said that to appreciate Dickens best, one should read his stories aloud. I have never had the time to try to do this, but having just listened to a new unabridged reading of A Christmas Carol from Random House, I can see the validity of the statement. Playing the CD's I felt as if the narrator was, in the words of Dickens himself, "standing in the spirit at your elbow."
And what a narrator! The multi-talented Jim Dale reads the story...no, that is not correct...Jim Dale PERFORMS the story. I counted 42 voices in the three-hour recording. Jim Dale is well known for his over 200 voices (and counting) bringing to life all of the characters in the Harry Potter books, which he also records for Random House's Listening Library.
I first saw Jim Dale in the 1977 Disney movie Pete's Dragon where he played the bumbling villain. The next year he played three hilarious characters in another Disney film, Hot Lead and Cold Feet. I was lucky to see him in two musicals on Broadway, in Barnum, and Me and My Girl. Both very memorable performances. I plan to see him next month as he sings and dances Scrooge in Madison Square Garden's Christmas Carol - The Musical. I figure if he is great in the audiobook, he will be even better on stage. An actor has only two tools...his voice and his body. In the audiobooks, of course, only the voice can be used.
And Dale's voice talents are well showcased here. I often found myself laughing out loud, thanks to the combined genius of Dickens and Dale. In a couple of cases, the genius is pure Dale. At one point he adds a bit of a dog's panting that really cracked me up.
I have seen and/or heard other wonderful actors do one-man renditions of A Christmas Carol. A number of years ago a friend played a tape for me of John Gielgud doing an abridged version. I saw Patrick Stewart do his acclaimed one man show on Broadway; from the first row! And I have seen the author's great-great grandson, Gerald Dickens do his skilled and energetic version several times. They are all memorable and it would be impossible to say which was the best. But I can heartily recommend that Jim Dale's version be added to the family library. It is complete, it is accurate and it is a virtuoso performance.
Although I certainly know the story well, I found by listening to the audiobook I was paying closer attention to the lesser known parts...the parts that, to be honest, I usually would skim over when rereading the book. In fact, there were several sections where I felt as if I were hearing them for the first time. Marvelous sections. I couldn't believe I had missed them in the past. Maybe Jim Dale's voice just made them more vibrant than my own inner voice.
I suppose that asking me to review Jim Dale reading A Christmas Carol really isn't fair. One of my favorite performers reading my favorite story by my favorite author! But surely I am not alone. Dickens is universally known as England's greatest novelist. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Dale was gaining a reputation as one of the world's greatest readers of audiobooks. They are both master storytellers. And to quote the Dickens himself, "If that's not high praise, tell me higher, and I'll use it."

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating!, Dec 28 2011
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Hardcover)
All these years of watching different versions of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" can lead you to think you know this story by heart. Well even the best adaptations of this story do diverge from the original text. I read this recently for the first time about a week or so before Christmas and it was a revelation. Firstly, I found it a thoroughly enjoyable read. But there are differences. Scrooge is described and illustrated somewhat differently than all the versions of the character I've ever seen. There are scenes in the book that I don't recall seeing in any film or television versions. Conversely there are scenes in the filmed versions that are not present in the original book or they're extrapolations of something only mentioned in the book but not elaborated upon.

The illustrations are a wonderful and appropriate enhancement that lend the story added dimension and a genuine sense of setting. They don't look like period illustrations (too contemporary looking in style) but they are very effective and well done.

I heartily recommend this version of Dicken's classic if you've never read it before and even if you have. It also serves to give you a greater appreciation of your favourite filmed version.

Christmas Carol
Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (Hardcover - Oct. 10 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.85