5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifesaver for a Caregiver of the Elderly, May 16 2012
Michael F. Hammell "Sgt Fig" (Campbell River, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creating Moments of Joy for the Person with Alzheimer's or Dementia: A Journal for Caregivers, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
I bought this book for my wife, whose Mother, about to turn 90, who has always had a very bright, quick and extensive memory has suffered a fast deterioration in memory. She has relied very heavily on her memory because she has been "legally" blind from birth and over the years her signt has been failing at a slow rate, but significant at this point. She lives alone in a very pleasant apartment and intends to remain there. My wife has taken over much of her care on a daily basis and she has found this book invaluable for understanding the situation but also the support for her, dealing with this difficult situation. I have read through it as well and find it very well written, clear and supportive and recommend it without hesitation to anyone in a similar situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making the best of a loved one's dementia, Dec 3 2012
When most of us deal with a loved one in the throws of dementia, we try to re-educate, and in the course of that misguided effort we bring suffering to loved ones who are not ever going to get better. This book is not just for professional or family care-givers dealing with dementia patients, it's for everyone who has a loved one caught in this horrible final phase of life.
Putting her experience into play, Brackey teaches all of us the means by which we can bring joy, and simple happy moments, instead of inflicting pain through our misguided intentions. This book gives everyone involved with a dementia patient, the tools to bring happiness to loved ones with the disease. If you know someone struggling to deal with this horrific problem, and failing, then this is the book to buy them for Xmas. This book helps the patient, but even more important, it empowers the loved ones of the dementia patient with the tools to bring happiness to a mind that is fading to black, long before the body quits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creating Moments of Joy, Dec 7 2011
Ann Geoghegan - See all my reviews
As a caregiver to my husband who has Alzhiemer's I found the book had some wonderful ideas that I can use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly Concise, Feb. 17 2014
My mother has Alzheimer's Disease, and will soon be going into Care. Right now my 92 year old father is still trying to care for her at home. As hard as it is for the family, he deals with the day-to-day challenges. I did a quick read of the book, underlining what might be of help to him. He read the highlights, and then went back for more. If this can help a 92 year old, then I expect you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this., Jan. 26 2014
This book has valuable information. I have already read it and plan to keep it on hand as a reference guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for everyone connected to someone with Alzheimer's or Dementia., Oct. 29 2013
Well written! Helps us understand life differently in a way that honours the experience of our loved one with A or D. Wondeful strategies that work! Wish I had read this 10 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book for every caregiver., July 23 2014
Amazing book for anyone caring for someone you love with Alzheimer's or Dementia. Our support suggested it to me and every page is worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Dec 30 2010
I wish I had read this book before my mother-in-law passed away. We could have made her last years and months so much better.

CDN$ 27.50 CDN$ 17.24