5.0 out of 5 stars Get started & do wholistic magical cooking!!!
Published on Nov. 24 2002 by Nilsa Martinez

3.0 out of 5 stars Just...okay
I bought this book a few years ago, just because I was trying to adapt a more healthy lifestyle, and for the immense amount of recipes in the book (a lot!).
Published on Nov. 7 2002 by Lauren Zalewski

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of macrobiotic detail, but delicious nevertheless, June 6 2004
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
This is a very, very good book if you're trying to add vegetables, reduce meat/dairy, or just eat healthier. She limits added sugars to brown rice syrup, barley malt, and the occasional maple syrup, although she's open about not really wanting to use maple syrup. Recipes are pretty comprehensive, everything from sauces to desserts. Information on how to organize a meal is limited, however; you have to search through the recipes to find one that might be suitable for breakfast, and her menus look like five-course meals. As for the macrobiotic issue (in which I'm !not! an expert), she gives the basics of macrobiotics and admits that some of the foods she includes are not usually part of macro cooking. She also doesn't include a lot of detail about macrobiotics, so I was left scratching my head at some of the recipes (I thought in macrobiotics you weren't supposed to eat foods not native to the area?). But if you're not aiming for a strict macrobiotic diet, this is a great book!

1.0 out of 5 stars gone to garbage, Feb. 5 2004
O. Alkan "happy reader" (istanbul, TURKEY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
The title of the book is misleading, because the book is comprised 90% of recipes, NOT techniques, wit& wisdom etc. It is not a guide, it is a recipe book. If you've decided to go macrobiotic and have access to ingredients like rutabaga and arame, this book provides you with many recipes, but for me it was totally inapplicable. I was expecting the guidelines for macrobiotic eating and cooking that I could apply to different ingredients at hand and thus was very dissapponted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Whole Foods does not = Macrobiotics, Sept. 8 2003
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
Whole Foods does not = Macrobiotics as this author has decided. Whole Foods includes meat, very heartily, as it is a "whole food". I planned on a book full of recipes including snacks, which are very hard to think of, and was disappointed. The copy is trite and recipes are not very helpful regardless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, OK for macrobiotics, I guess..., May 7 2003
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
Somewhere in this long title should appear the word "macrobiotic" so that people who are not interested could avoid buying the book!
Macrobiotic food is boring and even though often it has no meat or dairy, it is by no means similar to the lush and mouthwatering vegetarian or vegan food.
The book is huge so I thought I would get a bit from my money and I tried several of the recipes... to results from mildly disastrous to really bad. I've been a vegetarian for more than 15 years and can usually cook to the applause of meat-eating friends so I don't think the fault was mine...
As someone else said, if you a vegetarian and looking for a book with lots of recipes... don't bother with this one. My advice: buy any book from the Moosewood restaurant (just type "Moosewood" in the book search, Amazon has most of them), they're huge, creative and delicious and the recipes are flawless.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book for learning more ways to cook veggies, March 10 2003
Carol C. Buchalter (San Leandro, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
I came to this book before I knew anything about macrobiotics, simply because I was looking for a broader spectrum of ways to cook vegetables. I love the recipies in this book, and did even before I started having macrobiotic leanings. I was suprised to note that I already had one of the key cookbooks in the macrobiotic arsenal when I got interested in the subject. Four stars instead of 5 because there is no solid macrobiotic information here, just some hints, Christina's story, and all these terrific recipies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get started & do wholistic magical cooking!!!, Nov. 24 2002
Nilsa Martinez (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
This is such an informative book. Recipes galore. Having read so many books on whole foods cooking, I rate this one the absolute best. Simple & concise. I just felt like doing more cooking and felt truly inspired on a creative level. To make my own brew. Which is hard to find in any cookbook w/out pics. But what I really liked most was that the author credited her sources. Just about unheard of in most cookbooks. I like knowing where some of these recipes come from so that I can check the sources myself & see whatever modifications may have been made for american taste buds. Many recipes in American cookbooks are modified presicely because authors are afraid of revealing the ethnic origins of some of their recipes. Thinking that the American public is not hep enough. I stay clear of those books. Give me diversity in my plate. I like sauce & spices, I can modify it myself thank you very much. Additionally, so many cookbooks are written w/out crediting their sources. Also I liked that most of the recipes are not only good tasting but healing as well. I started using more obscure herbs & roots because of the info in this book ie. burdock root for blood strengthening. I especially enjoyed the kimpira and the vitality stew. Cook those bones for calcium & get healthy w/out the pills & supplements from these vitamin shops. Pop a vitamin, na, I'd rather eat my way to health.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just...okay, Nov. 7 2002
Lauren Zalewski (Asbury, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
I really don't see how Christina could have possibly tried all of these recipes! The several that I've tried have seemed relatively tasteless and almost inedible! The only reason why I'm giving it 3 stars is because the entire beginning section has some wonderful explanations on macrobiotics and a glossary of some different ingredients that most cooks wouldn't know on their own.
As for the recipes, I can honestly say that in my ever growing repertoire of vegan cookbooks, I very rarely refer to this one. If you're looking to go macrobiotic, maybe it would be useful, but if you're a vegan/vegetarian looking at this book because of the number of recipes....don't bother.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has some wonderful recipes....., June 7 2002
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
I'm transitioning into a macrobiotic lifestyle and this book looked interesting to me, so I bought it. I really like each recipe I've tried.
However, even though the author opens her book with a chapter entitled, "What is macrobiotics?" this book is not pure macrobiotics. Many recipes call for ingredients which should probably be avoided by newcomers to the practice. On the flip side, this book does seem like a good transitionary book for those desiring to try a more macrobiotic diet while still eating many foods which are familiar.
To the author's credit, the word "macrobiotic" doesn't appear on either the front or back cover, so obviously she isn't making a claim to be die-hard macrobiotic. While some recipes are 100% macrobiotic, some others which are not may be altered to make them so, if desired.
The beginning of the book describes many of the unusual and unfamiliar ingredients needed, items like kuzu, agar-agar, arame, hiziki, mochi, and shoyu, among others. Menu and shopping suggestions are given as well.
I'm not vegetarian but I imagine this book being a valuable addition to a vegetarian's cookbook library. Just skip the chapter on fish.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIKE IT :-), March 27 2002
Lorraine Y. Ea "lyeng" (Torrance, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
I have been using this book for over a year. The recipes have a wide range of dishes. From simple to more involved. If these meals can please my picky, "I won't eat health food" family, then it will please anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good whole foods cookbook, July 20 2001
Deb Nam-Krane "dnkboston" (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking The Whole Foods Way (Paperback)
This cookbook is the solution for those "health-seekers" who want to eat by the rules (more fiber, more whole grains, less refined sugar, more vegetables). Many of the recipes are delicious, and it's nice to make something that tastes good but that won't give you pangs of food-guilt later.
A few caveats: 1. This is not a pure vegetarian cookbook. She has a whole section on fish. The author does not eat fish herself, but wanted to more fully represent the macrobiotic philosophy. 2. This doesn't give a good look at the full spectrum of macrobiotics. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but from what I've read of some of the other macrobiotics founders, this seemed very incomplete. She seems to concentrate primarily on the yin-yang principle (in her next book she talks about the elements), but doesn't give a comprehensive overview of how those can affect certain conditions. Also, as another reviewer pointed out, she includes a lot of ingredients most macrobiotics shun (chocolate, garlic, etc.) She seems to bend the rules a lot when it comes to desserts. 3. Having said that, when the author thinks a rule is important, she runs with it. Don't even think of eating raw vegetables or fruits, any white flour, or certain vegetables, like tomatoes.
All in all, I thought this cookbook was a valuable addition to my collection, but I didn't think it was a very good lifestyle guideline.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cooking The Whole Foods Way
Cooking The Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello (Paperback - March 1 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 4.46