Published on April 22 2007 by Laurie the Librarian

3.0 out of 5 stars For Bread Machine Use Only
I have had this book for over a year and tried most of the recipes included in this book. Most work...but not all. I have 3 different machines that I use and the results seem to be consistent from machine to machine.
Published on Jan. 30 2003 by juneaubrat

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread machine cookbook out there, you'll refer to it at least once a week, April 22 2007
This review is from: The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread From Every Kind of Machine (Paperback)
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I own several dozen cookbooks, but it's worth saying this so I can put my 5 stars in context. Out of the three cookbooks on bread machine baking that I own, this is the BEST one by a landslide. Hensperger not only knows what she's doing, she makes things easy enough so you do too. The only times any of the recipes didn't bake to absolutely perfection were the times that I probably should have added just a bit more liquid to make up for the arid climate of where I live. If you also live in an arid area, note that about 25% of the recipes will be just a teensy bit too dry so add a tablespoon or two more of water and the bread will be fine.

The best part of this book is the extremely good explanation of the different kinds of bread machines out there. Buy this book and read it before you buy a machine, you'll be very grateful you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every recipe is a hit!, Feb. 13 2001
I bought this book because I read the reviews written by other customers and they were overall very good. So far I've made 3 recipes from the book - a flax seed bread, beer bread and a whole wheat bread - and they've all turned out amazingly well. I was resigned to the "fact" that bread machine bread was more dense than grocery store bread - until I tried these recipes. The bread is light and moist and the crust is crispy and delicious. I haven't bought the SAF yeast, I'm using regular bread machine yeast but it doesn't seem to matter. I admit - because I'm from Canada, apparently our flour is different from US flour - that I modify the recipes a bit - reducing the flour by 1/8 to 1/4 cup. I've also found that I can reduce the amount of sugar and fat called for in the recipes and still have excellent results.
This book is wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone with a bit of knowledge of baking and a desire to spend some time with their bread machines.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for your kitchen, Dec 3 2012
I must say that I am surprise of the poor review some gave it. Me, I bought this book while I bought my bread machine, some 7 or 8 years ago, and have used it since. I should say that I have a tendency of adapting quite every recipe, bread or else, to my convenience. This is, to my point of view, what a cooker must do. Well if you don't know how to cook just buy your food! I gave away my bread machine because my breads always wants to escape from the machine so I decided, since I used to cook them on the oven, to just do the bread with my Kitchen Aid and my hands. I adapted all the recipes to be cook in the oven and they are perfect. So many flavors and kinds of breads: flats, whole grain, sweet, pizza dough, even stuffing bread that you will use in your turkey. You can even find jams and preserves to do in your machine. And a lot of advice about the different flour and grain and ingredient, and tips for shaping, cooking and so on. She also have some little story on every bread. Not well organized?! Maybe you did not understand the way she did it, Mr or Ms E. Hyde, but I find it very easy to use, and I'm Canadian too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Source infini d'idée., April 21 2009
Daniel Bedard (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Étant moi même boulanger, je cherchait des recettes qui ressemblaient au pain que j'étais habituer de manger. Dans "Bread machine cookbook", j'ai trouver une source incroyable de pain plus savoureux les un que les autres.

Thanks Beth!

3.0 out of 5 stars For Bread Machine Use Only, Jan. 30 2003
"juneaubrat" (Juneau, AK United States) - See all my reviews
However...as long as you only want to mix and bake in your machine, this is the book for you. Very few recipes include kneading times, shaping, oven temp or baking times for those of us wanting to bake "outside the box".
I'm also a firm believer in a picture is worth a 1000 words and this book has no pictures.
It's an OK book but not on my list of favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY NUMBER ONE BREAD MACHINE BOOK!, Jan. 27 2004
By A Customer
Hi!
This book works perfectly with my Panasonic bread machine and I have had perfect bread practically every time. (only failure in a year was the flax bread!) I do not have any problems with the recipes being too dry. I even add a lot of whole wheat in with regular white recipes (3/4 white to 1/4 whole wheat) and it still turns out great as long as you add a little water to the dough to compensate for the wheat. (But the recipes I follow by the book do not require me to do so....)
It does say SAF yeast is recommended but I was using that but switched to regular bread machine yeast (easier to find) and they STILL come out great. Each recipe will say for example "2 tsp. SAF yeast OR 2 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast." so for regular bread machine yeast you need to use a little more but definately guaranteed results. (at least with the Panasonic SDYD250 machine... I know every bread machine model is different. For baking outside of the machine I have had no problem with that either. I have had no problem finding the ingredients even gluten, which is sold at my local supermarkets (and I live in the country in Wisconsin) so I am surprised a person would need to go to a specialty store in California to find gluten! (according to one of the reviews here)
Try the sesame bread and the vienna bread! they are both quick and easy recipes that I make often.
I am Vegan and do not consume dairy so anyone who is Vegan/Vegetarian can substitute milk for soymilk,egg replacer for eggs and agave nectar for honey and it works fine.
Anyhow, give this book a shot expecially for ten bucks or so, I really feel it is worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just add water...., Dec 2 2003
Chris Tann (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a very interesting book, with lots of excellent recipes. I have a serious gripe though, which is what brings it down to a 3-star instead of a 5-star.
- The recipes always seem too dry. My whole reason to purchase a book like this was to give me some good base recipes, that I could then experiment on. Unfortunately, every recipe I have tried so far has been too dry. I have started notations in the book telling me how much extra liquid to add for each one, but it is quite annoying - the whole point of a recipe book is that you should be able to pick a recipe, bundle the ingredients together, and get a good result.
In addition, most of the recipes call for gluten, which is not all that easy to find, so a trip to a specialty or health-food store is required if you are going to try most of them. When I first got the book, I was eager to try out a recipe with what I had on hand, but although I already had a good collection of flours, I had to skip through many recipes until I found one that I actually had all the ingredients for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live without it!, Aug. 17 2002
Jessica Fisher (San Diego) - See all my reviews
I bought this book last Christmas after receiving a machine for a gift. I made a few recipes from the owner's manual and experienced quite a few flops. I refused to be defeated and knew there must be a book out there that would help me make good bread (with the machine that I had begged for). THIS is the book!
I read all the reviews that precede 2002 and got the book right away. I love the way Hensperger explains ingredients, the science of bread and how the machine works. We use our machine at least 3-4 times a week. Some of my favorites from the book include the Hamburger and Hot Dog Buns (I will never buy storebought again!), the Garlic Foccacia, the Orange Bread with White Chocolate, Apricots and Walnuts, and for sandwiches my family loves the Instant Potato Bread and the Maple Buttermilk Bread, both of which turn out light and fluffly.
I remember reading a review that discussed the different ways to measure flour. For some reason, if I do it Hensperger's way, I always have to add more flour. So, I just scoop it without aerating the flour first.
Another review mentioned that you "have to" use SAF yeast. I haven't found this to be true. I have used the SAF, but have also used fast-acting and bread machine yeast. Both have turned out fine. All of the ingredients have been at a local supermarket (I live in a small town - 23,000, on the Central Coast of CA) except the specialty flours like barley, spelt, semolina, etc. Those I have found at a health-food store.
I can't say enough good things about this book! My copy is tattered and stained and I am enjoying working my way through all the recipes. It is a book I definitely can't live without

5.0 out of 5 stars The only bread machine book your're likely to need, Dec 29 2001
We got our bread machine (a Zojirushi BBCC-V20 which we are very happy with and I have reviewed on this site) and once we worked our way through the excellent owner's manual/recipe book we went searching for a good recipe book. My wife found this one and we have been happily working our way through its 300 terrific recipes. I made Old Fashioned Sesame Whet Bread (p. 112) for dinner this evening. With 300 to choose from, I can easily spend a lot more time picking out a bread than it takes to actually throw the ingredients into the machine. But it is not just a recipe book. In between sections of great bread recipes is a tremendous amount of information ranging from a list of customer service numbers for all the bread machine manufacturers to a discussion of the different kinds of wheat flour to how to build and maintain your own sourdough starter to the subtle differences in olive oils to . . . well, you get the idea. This is more than just a list of receipes. If you want to get one good bread machine book - this is the one to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars the very best bread machine baking book ive found, Dec 25 2001
Kathy Lockerbie (Elk Grove, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after reading through it at a local book store. it looked good. Its been even better than I hoped. I have never baked bread successfully before I got my machine. now i can't stop. I have never had a failure from this book. I found the additional information about ingredients very educational. I am now purchasing a hard bound copy. im giving my paperback as a gift along with a bread machine to a good friend who loves the bread ive made her family. in my opinion this book has everything a new bread machine baker needs to know. I have had so much fun modifying the recipts. adding and changing, learning and enjoying the results. I have other bread machine books. none of them is as fun as this one. my only complaint is that the index is not complete. I find wonderful things i want to try, then later i have to look long and hard to find them again. expecially the little extra things like what to do with left over bread or educational information. its mixed throughout the reciept texts with no seprate index. I still love it. If you can only have one book of this type, this is a great choice. fun fun fun.