Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

on January 27, 2004
This book works perfectly with my Panasonic bread machine and I have had perfect bread practically every time. (only failure in a year was the flax bread!) I do not have any problems with the recipes being too dry. I even add a lot of whole wheat in with regular white recipes (3/4 white to 1/4 whole wheat) and it still turns out great as long as you add a little water to the dough to compensate for the wheat. (But the recipes I follow by the book do not require me to do so....)
It does say SAF yeast is recommended but I was using that but switched to regular bread machine yeast (easier to find) and they STILL come out great. Each recipe will say for example "2 tsp. SAF yeast OR 2 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast." so for regular bread machine yeast you need to use a little more but definately guaranteed results. (at least with the Panasonic SDYD250 machine... I know every bread machine model is different. For baking outside of the machine I have had no problem with that either. I have had no problem finding the ingredients even gluten, which is sold at my local supermarkets (and I live in the country in Wisconsin) so I am surprised a person would need to go to a specialty store in California to find gluten! (according to one of the reviews here)
Try the sesame bread and the vienna bread! they are both quick and easy recipes that I make often.
I am Vegan and do not consume dairy so anyone who is Vegan/Vegetarian can substitute milk for soymilk,egg replacer for eggs and agave nectar for honey and it works fine.
Anyhow, give this book a shot expecially for ten bucks or so, I really feel it is worth it.
on December 3, 2012
I must say that I am surprise of the poor review some gave it. Me, I bought this book while I bought my bread machine, some 7 or 8 years ago, and have used it since. I should say that I have a tendency of adapting quite every recipe, bread or else, to my convenience. This is, to my point of view, what a cooker must do. Well if you don't know how to cook just buy your food! I gave away my bread machine because my breads always wants to escape from the machine so I decided, since I used to cook them on the oven, to just do the bread with my Kitchen Aid and my hands. I adapted all the recipes to be cook in the oven and they are perfect. So many flavors and kinds of breads: flats, whole grain, sweet, pizza dough, even stuffing bread that you will use in your turkey. You can even find jams and preserves to do in your machine. And a lot of advice about the different flour and grain and ingredient, and tips for shaping, cooking and so on. She also have some little story on every bread. Not well organized?! Maybe you did not understand the way she did it, Mr or Ms E. Hyde, but I find it very easy to use, and I'm Canadian too.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon October 24, 2012
Last fall the bread machine we had for the past 13 years died on us unexpectedly. We were fortunate to find a very good sale and purchase a nicer one not too long after that. But I was disappointed with the recipe booklet (or should I say flyer?) that came with our machine. We now own a Black & Decker Bread Maker Model B6000C which can also could give me a bread up to 3 lbs!

Like I mentioned I was disappointed with the recipes included with the machine. So when I saw the book The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook I thought it would be a great addition to our cookbooks bookshelf that is in our kitchen. I wasn't disappointed. With more than 600 pages of recipes and tips about bread making it is an excellent resource to have.

After a chapter on orientation on getting to know your bread machine and learning about making bread, the author immediately jump into the different kind of breads you can make. Here's an idea of the table of contents.
Daily Breads: white breads and egg breads
Earth's Bounty: whole wheat, whole-grain, and specialty flour breads with a section on gluten-free breads
Traditional Loaves: country breads and sourdough breads
All Kind of Flavors: breads made with the produce of the garden, orchard, and creamery
Circle, Squares, and Crescents: pizzas and other flatbreads
Sweet Loaves: chocolate, fruit, and other sweet breads
Express Lane Bread: no-yeast quick breads
Jams, Preserves, and Chutneys in Your Bread Machine.
Appendixes: crumbs, croutons, crostini, toasted appetizers, spreads, butters, cheeses and vegetables.

As you can see there is something for everyone in this cookbook. We like bread - especially fresh and hot - and we know that this cookbook will be very useful. I was checking the recipes and was pleasantly surprised to find recipes based on different kind of flour. Just when I was thinking of parting with my WonderMill because I couldn't see how I could use it more regularly, I get a cookbook containing recipes with flour I can make with it! Perfect. So sorry flocks but I will keep the WonderMill for a bit longer.

If you have a bread machine and you are tired of always making the same recipes, I would strongly suggest you check out the Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook. You will get over 300 new recipes to try out with your bread machine.
on April 22, 2007
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I own several dozen cookbooks, but it's worth saying this so I can put my 5 stars in context. Out of the three cookbooks on bread machine baking that I own, this is the BEST one by a landslide. Hensperger not only knows what she's doing, she makes things easy enough so you do too. The only times any of the recipes didn't bake to absolutely perfection were the times that I probably should have added just a bit more liquid to make up for the arid climate of where I live. If you also live in an arid area, note that about 25% of the recipes will be just a teensy bit too dry so add a tablespoon or two more of water and the bread will be fine.

The best part of this book is the extremely good explanation of the different kinds of bread machines out there. Buy this book and read it before you buy a machine, you'll be very grateful you did!
on September 21, 2009
I have had this books for a couple of months now and have tried a few different recipes from it and each it the best I have ever had. The only reason I did not give this a 5 and a caution to those who purchase this is to make sure that you can buy gluten or vital wheat gluten because almost every recipe in the book calls for it and I was not able to find it anywhere and had to order it special online. Other than that highly recommend it.
on February 7, 2011
This is a terrific Bread Machine cookbook. Even though I have only had it for one month, I try a new recipe every day and am always pleased with the results. I often add a little water and make a few "creative" changes, but I do that with other recipes as well.

The manufacturer of my bread machine, Zojirushi, tells us that they only guaranty results when their own recipes are used. So far, I have had consistently better results with Beth Hensperger's cookbook.

I never buy bread from the store any more. With this cookbook and my Zojirushi Bread Machine I have endless variety and enjoy "straight from the oven" freshness with so little effort.
on August 17, 2002
I bought this book last Christmas after receiving a machine for a gift. I made a few recipes from the owner's manual and experienced quite a few flops. I refused to be defeated and knew there must be a book out there that would help me make good bread (with the machine that I had begged for). THIS is the book!
I read all the reviews that precede 2002 and got the book right away. I love the way Hensperger explains ingredients, the science of bread and how the machine works. We use our machine at least 3-4 times a week. Some of my favorites from the book include the Hamburger and Hot Dog Buns (I will never buy storebought again!), the Garlic Foccacia, the Orange Bread with White Chocolate, Apricots and Walnuts, and for sandwiches my family loves the Instant Potato Bread and the Maple Buttermilk Bread, both of which turn out light and fluffly.
I remember reading a review that discussed the different ways to measure flour. For some reason, if I do it Hensperger's way, I always have to add more flour. So, I just scoop it without aerating the flour first.
Another review mentioned that you "have to" use SAF yeast. I haven't found this to be true. I have used the SAF, but have also used fast-acting and bread machine yeast. Both have turned out fine. All of the ingredients have been at a local supermarket (I live in a small town - 23,000, on the Central Coast of CA) except the specialty flours like barley, spelt, semolina, etc. Those I have found at a health-food store.
I can't say enough good things about this book! My copy is tattered and stained and I am enjoying working my way through all the recipes. It is a book I definitely can't live without
on November 29, 2001
I have owned this cookbook for almost a year and made many of its recipes. I use my bread machine several times a week to provide my family with a variety of fresh breads. As a working mother, I don't have time for elaborate recipes that involve making the dough in my bread maker and then putting together a special presentation for baking in a conventional oven. I need to put the ingredients in the bread maker and go on to the next job and forget it. This cookbook fills the bill admirably. I have the variety and ease of preparation that my family wants.
My mother and mother-in-law both have breadmaking machines that they have put away and don't use because the final product was not worth the effort. When they have come to visit and eaten bread that I prepared using Beth Hensperger's book, they were surprised. They complained that their bread machines do not put out such good bread, and went to look at the cookbook, convinced that I had better recipes (which this book does!). Both women asked for this cookbook as a Christmas gift so that they could enjoy their bread machines again too.
I recommend this book to any bread machine beginner or to anyone with a life too full to spend all day making bread.
on February 13, 2001
I bought this book because I read the reviews written by other customers and they were overall very good. So far I've made 3 recipes from the book - a flax seed bread, beer bread and a whole wheat bread - and they've all turned out amazingly well. I was resigned to the "fact" that bread machine bread was more dense than grocery store bread - until I tried these recipes. The bread is light and moist and the crust is crispy and delicious. I haven't bought the SAF yeast, I'm using regular bread machine yeast but it doesn't seem to matter. I admit - because I'm from Canada, apparently our flour is different from US flour - that I modify the recipes a bit - reducing the flour by 1/8 to 1/4 cup. I've also found that I can reduce the amount of sugar and fat called for in the recipes and still have excellent results.
This book is wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone with a bit of knowledge of baking and a desire to spend some time with their bread machines.
on March 10, 2011
I bought this book a few months ago and have been having tons of fun trying different recipes. My bread machine came with a small recipe book, but in no way does it compare to all the recipes this book has to offer. Some of my favourite recipes from this book are: Roasted Garlic & Dry Jack Bread, Old Fashion Raisin Bread, Sour Cream Rye...and still trying many more. The book is reasonably priced too. Would I recommend it - yep!